Who makes the highest quality hood louver?

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I was lucky enough to get some hail damage. Considering a louver instead of PDR. I see Gen right and Poison Spyder look the same. Who makes the best quality and I’d also want it powder coated black so want quality there also.

My genright one (Black) just got here today, but I didn’t unbox it before leaving for the weekend. I’ll get my impressions Sunday and get back. I’d bet of the two, there’s not likely much difference that would matter but hopefully someone has checked out both in person.

Reactions: Apparition
My genright one (Black) just got here today, but I didn’t unbox it before leaving for the weekend. I’ll get my impressions Sunday and get back. I’d bet of the two, there’s not likely much difference that would matter but hopefully someone has checked out both in person.
Leaning toward genright since no Spider

I have had the Genright 5 piece kit on my rig for several years, very good quality and work great. I personally like the look of them better than those large one piece panels.

I have had the Genright 5 piece kit on my rig for several years, very good quality and work great. I personally like the look of them better than those large one piece panels.
Doubt that route would cover my hail damage.

Leaning toward genright since no Spider

That was part of my selling point too, and I have some light hail damage making the hacking up my hood decision easier. I mostly want to lower the temps in the bay (I have no expectation in change how the engine runs) to hopefully not cook another PCM (which was going to fail anyway it seems).

That was part of my selling point too, and I have some light hail damage making the hacking up my hood decision easier. I mostly want to lower the temps in the bay (I have no expectation in change how the engine runs) to hopefully not cook another PCM (which was going to fail anyway it seems).
I’ve always been of the opinion the louver shouldn’t hurt but won’t necessarily help. Some lower underhood temps would be a bonus.

Reactions: Zorba and rasband
I put a Poison Spyder one one and like it. Like others said, I didn't expect the engine to run cooler at all, but I figured getting some heat out of the bay would be a good thing here in the humid, hot Southeast summers. Plastics, hoses, PCM, etc are the things I had in mind.

I can't remember who made the other one I was considering, but I do remember the reason I didn't choose it. It had studs attached to the bottom of it and once it’s in place you attach the nuts under the hood. I thought about if one of those studs broke it might be a pain to replace. With the PS brand one, it uses a button head bolt and a nut which would be easy to replace.

Last edited:
i just got 1 from amazon was 103$ w/free shipping, it's the same .080 thickness GR claims.
i didn't want the spyder and GR was 40$ extra for shipping

it does not have a rivet option (unless you use big 1's), it comes with stainless hardware.
and powder coated black. unless the coating is crap i'm not seeing anything that would be reason to spend another 80$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NL31QRS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

it does have some forward facing vents (those closest to the windscreen).

i just got 1 from amazon was 103$ w/free shipping, it's the same .080 thickness GR claims.
i didn't want the spyder and GR was 40$ extra for shipping

it does not have a rivet option (unless you use big 1's), it comes with stainless hardware.
and powder coated black. unless the coating is crap i'm not seeing anything that would be reason to spend another 80$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NL31QRS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I had not heard of this. I like cheaper.

Have you already received it?

I had not heard of this. I like cheaper.

Have you already received it?
yep looks fine to me, pretty rigid, easy install looks clean.
the real test will be if it's not flakin off PC in a yr or 2.

116712599_624183195173051_4248488593706555595_n.jpg

it does allow a ton of heat to escape the engine bay. i bet you could fill a hot air balloon off my hood when up to temp.

I want one too, but I t seems like those would allow a lot of water to hit the top of your engine. Do they?

Reactions: 5632
I want one too, but I t seems like those would allow a lot of water to hit the top of your engine. Do they?
Frequently repeated myth. Water will not harm your engine. Its open from the bottom, right? What happens when you drive in the rain? As long as you don't fill the airbox with water, you'll be OK.

Frequently repeated myth. Water will not harm your engine. Its open from the bottom, right? What happens when you drive in the rain? As long as you don't fill the airbox with water, you'll be OK.
When you drive in the rain, the fan clutch has a reverser built into it that makes the fan blade turn the other direction when it gets cool enough so it blows all the rain back out through the grill. Then if it senses water being splashed up into the engine compartment by the tires, it goes back the other way and forces that water back down. This would be more fun if ya'll understood how all this works.

When you drive in the rain, the fan clutch has a reverser built into it that makes the fan blade turn the other direction when it gets cool enough so it blows all the rain back out through the grill. Then if it senses water being splashed up into the engine compartment by the tires, it goes back the other way and forces that water back down. This would be more fun if ya'll understood how all this works.

Damn, I need a new reverser. My grille still has a lot of leaves and debris on the front.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to explain things to us, @mrblaine. Its all so clear now!

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj