Who Much Did You Pay for Torque Converter / Transmission Rebuild?

explorerlyon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
05 LJ Rubicon, 42RLE transmission. Keep getting code P0740. Already did a fluid exchange, new filter and seloniod pack. Seems the torque converter needs replacing. How much did you pay to have the TQ replace and what else was/should be done at the same time? Transmission shop quoted me $1,600 to replace the torque converter and pump.

Just my .02.

The issues I have with transmission shops is finding/building confidence in their skills and knowledge. You would be surprised how many folks pay for certain services and or parts in their transmissions and get nothing, or piss poor work. (Guessing at fixes)

At that hat price point you could have completely rebuilt 42RLE delivered to your door.

I cant help but mention, often the 42RLE problems come down to computer issues.

Reactions: BlueFl.Wrangler
I remember years ago I use to see on TV and hear on the raddidio the 'ole AAMCO comercial, and the big line was-—

"At AAMCO, half the transmissions that come in for service dont need a new transmission "

I always thought that was a TERRIBLE line 'cause that meant the other half did. And what are the chances that 50% of transmissions that have issues need a complete rebuild. That has always made me "gun shy " of them type of shopz

I think your quote is a tad high-- but your in Cali, so everything is high. You can probably find a reliable fella to R & R ( thats just the labor ) for about $300 or so

Just my .02.

The issues I have with transmission shops is finding/building confidence in their skills and knowledge. You would be surprised how many folks pay for certain services and or parts in their transmissions and get nothing, or piss poor work. (Guessing at fixes)

At that hat price point you could have completely rebuilt 42RLE delivered to your door.

I cant help but mention, often the 42RLE problems come down to computer issues.
Are you saying for $1,600 I could have a rebuilt transmission delivered? That is worth exploring. I am aware of PCM issues for the 05/06 years and debated replacing the PCM, but the issues I saw with the PCM seemed unrelated to the torque converter codes. Any further insight into that?

You can buy a refurbished / remanufactured 42RLE for around $1500 or so. Add labor to that for install and you should probably be around $2500 tops.

Are you saying for $1,600 I could have a rebuilt transmission delivered? That is worth exploring. I am aware of PCM issues for the 05/06 years and debated replacing the PCM, but the issues I saw with the PCM seemed unrelated to the torque converter codes. Any further insight into that?
Im just advocating for thoroughly checking the computer and or harness.

Reactions: explorerlyon