Who pays $400 plus for a pocket knife?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I love knives. This just hit my inbox this morning. I fully respect the custom knife market. And own several knives in the $150 range. But damn. $400?!!

Who the hell pays $400+ for a pocket knife?!

Even if i was in a combat zone. I dont think i would pay $400 for a GD pocket knife. I'd buy three or four or more pocket knives and have backups.

I own a few $150 ESEE fixed blade knives that will last a lifetime. And several CRKT folding knives in the $50-$100 range. That will also last a lifetime.

What makes a $400 pocket knife worth it?! I mean its not made out of Unobtainium! And if i misplaced it? That would hurt.

I think i would be embarrassed to tell anyone i spent that much on a pocket knife. It just seems like the mall crawler of knives. Lol.

I could have 2 custom knives made for that much. And this one is marked down from $600!

https://theknifeconnection.com/brou...3a5e46f)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

I love knives. This just hit my inbox this morning. I fully respect the custom knife market. And own several knives in the $150 range. But damn. $400?!!

Even if i was in a combat zone. I dont think i would pay $400 for a GD pocket knife. I'd buy three or four or more pocket knives and have backups.

I own a few $150 ESEE fixed blade knives that will last a lifetime. And several CRKT folding knives in the $50-$100 range. That will also last a lifetime.

What makes a $400 pocket knife worth it?! I mean its not made out of Unobtainium! And if i misplaced it? That would hurt.

I think i would be embarrassed to tell anyone i spent that much on a pocket knife. It just seems like the mall crawler of knives. Lol.

I could have 2 custom knives made for that much. And this one is marked down from $600!

https://theknifeconnection.com/brou...3a5e46f)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend
Yes, but you are saving over $300 :LOL:

I paid $225 for my Benchmade CLA and I thought that was ridiculous
But, I do love that knife
I bought a benchmade bugout for like $165(?). And was not impressed. I always held benchmade in high regard. Maybe its just this model. But it feels like i could snap it in two at the pivot point. Way to lightweight.

$400 just seems ridiculous for a production knife. When u can have so much more in a custom knife. Although i have only considered fixed blade in a custom knife. Never folding.

I bought a benchmade bugout for like $165(?). And was not impressed. I always held benchmade in high regard. Maybe its just this model. But it feels like i could snap it in two at the pivot point. Way to lightweight.

$400 just seems ridiculous for a production knife. When u can have so much more in a custom knife. Although i have only considered fixed blade in a custom knife. Never folding.
Check out a benchmade 940.

Reactions: John Cooper
Check out a benchmade 940.
That looks like a much better quality knife. But i dont prefer the drop point on the blade. I like my knives to have a point.

Ive sort of been looking for something to replace the bugout. With an at least semi traditional blade style. Still looking. To many options out there. Might take another month or two to sift thru them all.

If it was something I desired, I would spend 400 on it. If I really wanted it, I would spend more. We all like what we like and we all have "that" number which tells us whether we will or won't spend a specific amount on something. I'm a fan of OEM parts and specifically transmission mounts. However, my number is not 125 bucks for one. So, I'll dig through my collection of good used and make do rather than spend 125 on one.

We all just have our own valuation system and obviously yours is not to spend as much on a folding knife as it is on a coat.

Forgot to mention that my personal valuation of a folding pocket knife is sub 20 bucks and I think anyone that spends more is an idiot.

If it was something I desired, I would spend 400 on it. If I really wanted it, I would spend more. We all like what we like and we all have "that" number which tells us whether we will or won't spend a specific amount on something. I'm a fan of OEM parts and specifically transmission mounts. However, my number is not 125 bucks for one. So, I'll dig through my collection of good used and make do rather than spend 125 on one.

We all just have our own valuation system and obviously yours is not to spend as much on a folding knife as it is on a coat.

Forgot to mention that my personal valuation of a folding pocket knife is sub 20 bucks and I think anyone that spends more is an idiot.
@mrblaine with the win!

I agree 100%. I have to admit my favorite pocket knife around the house is one i got free with a bag of dogfood 20+ yrs ago. It is a folding kershaw made with Japanese steel. And a rubber handle. Lol. It gets used way more than any other knife i own.

And ya. I have other things i will pay more than the average guy for. Ive had my fair share of obsessions. I used to collect zippo lighters. Some of the WWII ones are a pretty penny.

My cousin used to work for Microtech. He made me a full auto knife with carbon fiber, titanium, and sharp blade. With friends and family discount, I still paid over $100. It's a great knife, but I rarely carry it for fear of loosing it. If I carry a knife, it's usually a small Wenger/Swiss variety.

Hell, I thought I splurged spending 50 bucks for my Buck 110!

I've always wanted a Japanese Samurai Sword, and I might spend a bunch on one, a REAL one, not a copy. But a pocket knife for $712.00 list is nucking futs!

And i have to agree, Blaine wins. To each his own!

Hell, I thought I splurged spending 50 bucks for my Buck 110!

I've always wanted a Japanese Samurai Sword, and I might spend a bunch on one, a REAL one, not a copy. But a pocket knife for $712.00 list is nucking futs!

And i have to agree, Blaine wins. To each his own!

While I agree with Blaine's sentiment, $20 gets you gas station knife now days. But $50 gets you into some good quality knives. I can also appreciate knives like a Chris Reeve Sebenza, but I cannot see myself owning one as I would never carry it.

While I agree with Blaine's sentiment, $20 gets you gas station knife now days. But $50 gets you into some good quality knives. I can also appreciate knives like a Chris Reeve Sebenza, but I cannot see myself owning one as I would never carry it.
My wife bought me a very fancy, very expensive watch right after we first got married. I don't wear watches, I don't go any place where a fancy watch would be appropriate. As such, it has never been worn and still sits in a drawer somewhere so I get not using something that is too nice or too much money.

I carry two pocket knives, in the same pocket. Gerber tiny little things that use a razor knife blade.

I carry two pocket knives, in the same pocket. Gerber tiny little things that use a razor knife blade.

Bulkier than your Gerber, I suspect. But this is my favorite knife. Does everything I need it to do and more than just a knife. And made even better with the black hardened blades.
Screenshot_20201217-201227_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I still have this one from 2011 in my tool bag. Amazing!

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
It’s excessive for sure, but also some folks have different needs from knives than others. Some like fancy, high end stuff like the guy who buys a platinum level truck or Rolex.

I have a few that were in the $180 range but the intent for those knives were not for opening boxes.

A cheap knife can fold in and have the lock defeated when it hits something hard. If this statement doesn’t make sense then high end folding knives aren’t your gig.

Same people who pay 10k for a Mountain Bike? Couldn't help myself.