Who rotates the spare tire?

images.jpg

I do. Mostly because I typically end up getting rid of my tires due to age rather than tread wear. This way I'm not pitching a "brand new" tire.

Considering how difficult it is to get tires, ya I rotate five. There is a longer interval between, "my favorite tire is unavailable or out of production."

Reactions: SvtLdr
I do on my girl friends JL but my spare is a 2003 original. Hopefully it gets me to the service station if I ever need it.

Who really does it, and does it help.

I’ve not done it, saying “I’ll just need 3 tires next round” then buy a totally different tire and trash that plan-

I do .. because with a matched spare, might as well.

Unless you have (or intentionally get) a tire that is a little different (ie different kind/cheaper/slightly different size etc), why would you not use it?

My spare has rested comfortably on the tailgate for the past 14 years. I have ran 3 different tire sizes over the years and the spare is different than all of them.
I view the idea of a spare as a way to get the Jeep home and the real tire fixed / replaced. That said my spare looks like crap and I need to mount up something else.

Reactions: Mumblewood
I do.

I didn't have a matched spare when I got my Jeep. The dealship where I purchased had put new tires on the ground, but not the spare. I later matched the spare so I could do all 5 at the same time.

Rotating them all at the same time means I only have one tire removed at a time. No need to drag out jackstands; I just use a single floor jack and move around the Jeep to complete the rotations.

Edit: This is the process I use.
Screenshot_20210427-141208_PowerPoint.jpg

Last edited:
I do it mostly because I'm cheap and want these things to last as long as possible. On the other hand, my jeep is a weekend warrior so my tires may likely get too hard and old before I wear the tread out. At least that is what happened on my last wheeling rig.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I do, but honestly this is the first time I have done it religiously. It helps that all 5 tires are the same size and the spare is so easy to get to.

Also, five 35's aren't cheap, so I am trying to get the most mileage I can out of them.

PXL_20210901_213649732~2.jpg

Last edited: