Who rotates the spare tire?

I do.

I didn't have a matched spare when I got my Jeep. The dealship where I purchased had put new tires on the ground, but not the spare. I later matched the spare so I could do all 5 at the same time.

Rotating them all at the same time means I only have one tire removed at a time. No need to drag out jackstands; I just use a single floor jack and move around the Jeep to complete the rotations.

Edit: This is the process I use.
Aside from the longer life, the ability to only need one jack to rotate is the biggest reason why I rotate all 5 around.

I did before the spare delete. No reason not to. Increases tire life. When I get new tires I’m not stuck with this new but aging tire that is eventually a worthless road hazard.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I do a 5 tire rotation using that same pattern. Besides lasting longer, another reason to do a five tire rotation is the tires stay the same diameter. My rear detroit locker would not be happy with tires that are different sizes. And if the spare goes on the front the jeep tracks better with tires the same size.
I dont have lockers anymore but if I ruin a tire, I still like to have one to replace it that matches as far as tread depth. Then the new replacement goes on the spare tire holder.

Just had mine done last weekend.
Only rotate the four, spare stays mounted.
It would be smart to rotate it in, but nobody ever said I was smart.

Reactions: txbemis69
I absolutely would rotate the spare, but one tire got a sidewall puncture (barely considered to be on the sidewall) that I convinced the tire guy to patch anyway because I told him I would only use it as a spare, so that's what I'm doing.

Reactions: B252 and JMT
My first set I bought 5 and then when I dumped the milestars I wanted to save a few bucks and only bought 4 new tires. So the Patagonia gets tailgate duty, kind of falls into the cheap spare tire category. I'll replace my tires long before they wear out unless something blows out.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I dont have lockers anymore but if I ruin a tire, I still like to have one to replace it that matches as far as tread depth. Then the new replacement goes on the spare tire holder.
why not put the new replacement at the right rear so the 4 other tires get a chance to ride spare while it tries to catch up? (assuming no auto locker in the rear)

Reactions: Vtx531
I don't on my TJ, and spare is under cover......I do on JKU and tire is not under cover and see sticker for my tire rotation pattern

IMG_1550.jpeg

why not put the new replacement at the right rear so the 4 other tires get a chance to ride spare while it tries to catch up? (assuming no auto locker in the rear)
Good thinking. I'm sort of doing that on my Jeep now. Got two new tires. They are on the front and the older three get rotated onto the spare!

I rotate all five tires. It hurts my heart to see an unused spare and four bald tires. Besides, when you replace tires you inevitably get a different brand or size and the perfectly good old spare goes into a landfill along with the other tires.
In my 42 years of driving I have replaced a set of tires only once with the same brand and size and that was on my work truck. Every single time I replaced tires on my Jeep it was with either a different size or different brand. Not rotating the spare in would have been a waste every time.

Yup, rotate all 5 so they stay the same size. Not good to have 4 worn tires, need a spare, and have one brand new. Especially now since tires are hard to find, good to have 5 that are all the same.

Though if I end up with one that is damaged/patched and maybe doesn't hold air, that may end up the permanent spare.

Reactions: B252 and JMT
If they all match, yes.

But at times I have simply put the best old tire on the tailgate when buying 4 new ones of a different style and of course didn't rotate it in the mix.

I was taught by my Dad in the early 60's to do a five tire rotation. His reasoning was that if you do it that way, you can inspect each tire for wear and condition.
And since you're in there, pull the drums and take a look see at the shoe thickness and general condition. In the front, we would repack the bearings and grease the TRE's and adjust the brakes. And since my girth was smaller than my Dad's, I would grease the driveshaft, jiggle the tailpipe and put wrenches on nuts & bolts to learn what could come loose and what usually stays tight.

These days, the rear axle the Jeep and my trailers are the only things with drums.
And I do a 3 or 5 tire rotation on those trailers too.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Yeah, I do. When I got my Jeep 4 years ago, it had 5 nearly new 33" Coopers on it. I started with the 5 tire rotation since I didn't know if I was going to stay with the same size/brand when it eventually came time to replace them. Who wants to get stuck with a brand new worthless old tire?
I bought 5 new 35" tires last fall, and have continued to do the 5 tire rotation.

Reactions: SvtLdr and JMT
I do as well. Last set of tires were MTRs and I got 58k miles out of them over 4 years. My current set of DuraTracs has about 30k miles over the last 4.5 years and looks to still have plenty of tread left.

My reasoning is also that it extends the life of the set and I may not get the same tires again for the next set.