Who uses Clayton Off-Road?

I've got a Clayton kit on my LJ. I am a fan, but my LJ sees 98% dd and 2% offroad. I do agree that the track bar and bracket have something to be desired. I got rid of their track bar setup and went with a Currie setup because it was hitting on my new diff covers. I've been to their shop and have spoken with everyone. They are a great bunch of guys.

Which misses everything about building a well functioning suspension. There are reasons I brought up the points I did.

I've got a Clayton kit on my LJ. I am a fan, but my LJ sees 98% dd and 2% offroad. I do agree that the track bar and bracket have something to be desired. I got rid of their track bar setup and went with a Currie setup because it was hitting on my new diff covers. I've been to their shop and have spoken with everyone. They are a great bunch of guys.

Yes, Adam has been great on the phone with me. I do have the curry set up with my 60's. There will be some custom fab on the CA's no matter who I go with. Just need to decide on 3 link or radius arm set up for front. Getting 50/50 responces on the 3 link driver side because the link needs to attach to the rotated housing putting presure on the diff cover. Even though the mount bolts to the housing and the diff cover. Curry said they do it whith their vehicles. After market guys say no way. Here is my skilled model attempting to creat the suposid "binding" of the radius style vs. upper and lower links.
IMG_4683.jpg

Since you don't have stock axles, the value of the Savvy mid arm comes from the frame mounts. You need to build the upper axle mounts right on top of the Currie center section. The reason being to not reduce up travel more than is necessary. From there you need to understand why nt raising the lower mounts to be even with the axle tube is necessary for both strength and optimal geometry. Things Clayton isn't doing.

I do not have room on top of the 60 for a truss. I have seen a couple LJ/TJ set ups with the link attached to the housing. And yes, any lower CA mounts will including Savvy are below the frame rails.

I hear Paragon is opening agin.

I had heard that dudes were still wheeling there even though it was closed. That's awesome news. I'd love to head up there at some point. I'm going to The Cove this weekend, which I've never been to. I look forward to 1.5 hour drive instead of the 3 hour drive up to Rausch and AOAA.

I did a bunch back in my CJ7 days.

I'm not sure how long ago that was? Was it the original Crozet before all the drama, or the second Crozet that was kind of secretive? The reason I ask is the 3rd pic of mine on the 1st page was taken at the original Crozet, and the Clayton suspension held up just fine wheeling there, and I was able to climb or drive over anything there. If you've ever wheeled at the Cove, Rausch Creek, or Big Dogs, the Clayton suspension performed great there as well. I never wheeled the Clayton suspension anywhere else so I can't speak how well it might or might not perform there.

I had heard that dudes were still wheeling there even though it was closed. That's awesome news. I'd love to head up there at some point. I'm going to The Cove this weekend, which I've never been to. I look forward to 1.5 hour drive instead of the 3 hour drive up to Rausch and AOAA.

Was at the Cove a couple weekends ago with my Land Cruiser at the Fall Crawl with CLCC. They raped us on entry fees.

• Angry
Reactions: Sj's TJ

I was literally just typing that you should check out the Cove, lol! The wheeling there is fun, but the camping kinda sucks. Last time I was there it's was super windy and everyone's tents got blown over. It was cold and miserable and the owner wouldn't let anyone make campfires at their campsites. There was supposed to be a big bonfire, but it was to windy so it got canceled. The trails were fun though.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Yes, Adam has been great on the phone with me. I do have the curry set up with my 60's. There will be some custom fab on the CA's no matter who I go with. Just need to decide on 3 link or radius arm set up for front. Getting 50/50 responces on the 3 link driver side because the link needs to attach to the rotated housing putting presure on the diff cover. Even though the mount bolts to the housing and the diff cover. Curry said they do it whith their vehicles. After market guys say no way. Here is my skilled model attempting to creat the suposid "binding" of the radius style vs. upper and lower links.
View attachment 377148

I do not have room on top of the 60 for a truss. I have seen a couple LJ/TJ set ups with the link attached to the housing. And yes, any lower CA mounts will including Savvy are below the frame rails.

You don't need a truss. You need a place to put the control arm brackets on top of the housing. And I wasn't referring to the frame rails.

Reactions: pc1p
You would have loved it with your build! Check out Big Dogs, and the Cove, they're a few hours west of you guys, and there is always Rausch Creek in Pa that is pretty challenging.

My primary wheeling spot has been Rausch. Prices have been going up there as well. AOAA is a ton of fun as well. The trails there are a little tighter and rated a bit different. Some blues at AOAA would be blacks at Rausch.

Was at the Cove a couple weekends ago with my Land Cruiser at the Fall Crawl with CLCC. They raped us on entry fees.

Luckily I'm going with a small group who is able to wheel there whenever. It's just $30 to wheel for the day. Those events are only worth it if you can go the whole 3 days. Plus I don't like wheeling with large groups. To slow and you don't get to run as many trails.

You don't need a truss. You need a place to put the control arm brackets on top of the housing. And I wasn't referring to the frame rails.

I do have mounts. I welded up the 60's based on factory settings. I guess I / We don't understand your lingo.?

I do have mounts. I welded up the 60's based on factory settings. I guess I / We don't understand your lingo.?

Head over to Barnes Off Road, https://barnes4wd.com/products/jeep...nt-and-4-link-rear-long-arm-suspension-system, they have all the parts you need to create your own system or a complete 4 link rear and 3 link front kit.

The great thing about the Barnes kit is the adjustability which you East Coast guys need. Running muddy conditions you can change the anti-squat, running rocks the next day you change increase the ant-squat by simply moving two bolts.

If you want to build your own , short arm, mid arm or long arm system Barnes has the prefab parts and the beauty of the Barnes' system is adjustability, which systems like Savvy do not offer. Not to mention a Barnes sourced system or kit is way cheaper.

With parts from Barnes and help from Crawlpedia, https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm , anyone can become their own suspension design expert and builder.

• Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
Head over to Barnes Off Road, https://barnes4wd.com/products/jeep...nt-and-4-link-rear-long-arm-suspension-system, they have all the parts you need to create your own system or a complete 4 link rear and 3 link front kit.

The great thing about the Barnes kit is the adjustability which you East Coast guys need. Running muddy conditions you can change the anti-squat, running rocks the next day you change increase the ant-squat by simply moving two bolts.

If you want to build your own , short arm, mid arm or long arm system Barnes has the prefab parts and the beauty of the Barnes' system is adjustability, which systems like Savvy do not offer. Not to mention a Barnes sourced system or kit is way cheaper.

With parts from Barnes and help from Crawlpedia, https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm , anyone can become their own suspension design expert and builder.

Man, you never stop, do you?

200.gif