Who wheels with 31 inch tires?

The H&R spring/Rancho RS5000X shock combo would be a nice setup. Put some washers on the steering stops quell the rubbing, or get some wheel spacers to decrease the wheel back spacing. shouldn't need much. H&R also makes some good quality spacers that are hubcentric to match the TJ lug pattern.
This is my setup (H&R + RS5000's) and I adjusted the steering stops 1-2 washers on each side. I like the ride and got 1.5" of lift out of the springs.

31s all day.

received_1362573090797635.jpeg

There is a great short video on YouTube with the engineer that led that team and introduced it at the Easter Jeep safari , it isn’t long , but really interesting.

does anyone have a link to this? ive tried searching but can't find it.

does anyone have a link to this? ive tried searching but can't find it.
Well , I’m striking out too...but a great read of just how close the Rubicon came to not happening is JP magazines 2009 artical “the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - nearly cancelled “ . It is online.

Of 10,000 engineers , about 100 wheeled...they slapped a 4:1 transfer case in one one year, the next near lockers...at Moab ....just to demonstrate what off-roaders needed. It was not an an easy sell , but eventually it came to market and proved out . If I find the video, I will do my best to get it posted .

Reactions: Angio4x4
Well , I’m striking out too...but a great read of just how close the Rubicon came to not happening is JP magazines 2009 artical “the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - nearly cancelled “ . It is online.

Of 10,000 engineers , about 100 wheeled...they slapped a 4:1 transfer case in one one year, the next near lockers...at Moab ....just to demonstrate what off-roaders needed. It was not an an easy sell , but eventually it came to market and proved out . If I find the video, I will do my best to get it posted .

thanks for looking - ill check out the article

Reactions: Angio4x4
Does anyone running 31s have a 3.73 ratio with the NV3550? On mine, I don't feel like that combo is a limitation on the street, but I did see in the gear ratio FAQ that 4.56 is considered optimal for 31s and 4.10 for 30s.

Reactions: Noslo65
Does anyone running 31s have a 3.73 ratio with the NV3550? On mine, I don't feel like that combo is a limitation on the street, but I did see in the gear ratio FAQ that 4.56 is considered optimal for 31s and 4.10 for 30s.
That sounds pretty steep for 31's and the 5 spd. I'd say 4.56 is good for 33's, and 4.88's for 35's. 31's should be ok with 4.10's.

That sounds pretty steep for 31's and the 5 spd. I'd say 4.56 is good for 33's, and 4.88's for 35's. 31's should be ok with 4.10's.
GrimmJeeper has the NV3550, 4.56 gears, and 31 inch tires somewhere around 2700 rpms @ 70 versus 4.10s resulting in ~2450 at 70. That would probably be okay with 31s, but the 4.56 gears will drive world's better.

Reactions: RMETeeJay and jjvw
What is a fair price range for a re-gear? I am in the Denver area if anyone knows of a good place?

There's a big spread between "driveable" and "optimal" gear ratios. I still have the stock 3.73 gearing with the 42RLE and 31s, which is arguably worse gearing than your NV3550. It's totally driveable on city streets and the highway, and it does fine on the trail. I do have to switch off the OD occasionally, but that's a minor annoyance.

I'm sure new gears would be better, but that doesn't stop me from doing everything I want to do with the Jeep as it is.

GrimmJeeper has the NV3550, 4.56 gears, and 31 inch tires somewhere around 2700 rpms @ 70 versus 4.10s resulting in ~2450 at 70. That would probably be okay with 31s, but the 4.56 gears will drive world's better.
Those revs are lower than I would have thought. Mine is around 3000 rpm at 70 and maybe 2700 or so at 65 with 4.10's, 33" tires and the 32RH 3 spd, and it feels about perfect, so it sounds like 4.56 is a pretty good ratio.

Those revs are lower than I would have thought. Mine is around 3000 rpm at 70 and maybe 2700 or so at 65 with 4.10's, 33" tires and the 32RH 3 spd, and it feels about perfect, so it sounds like 4.56 is a pretty good ratio.
You have a 32RH with no overdrive. NV3550 has overdrive, as do all of the factory transmissions besides the 32RH.

Different overdrive ratios warrant different gearings as well.

What is a fair price range for a re-gear? I am in the Denver area if anyone knows of a good place?
I just had mine re-geared last week and it was about $1450 out the door, for the gears, bearings, seals etc. You should be able to get it done at that amount +/- $200. I elected to find a shop with a great reputation rather than the cheapest cost. This was something I wanted done right the first time.

You have a 32RH with no overdrive. NV3550 has overdrive, as do all of the factory transmissions besides the 32RH.

Different overdrive ratios warrant different gearings as well.
Of course. He has the 5 spd which would require more gear than mine, but only has 31" tires, so I figured 4.56 might be a bit too low, as that is what I usually see recommended for 33" and that tranny. Sounds fine though.

Yes, I'm going by the 4.0 table in this post.

Thanks, @89grand for the info. Did you do anything else while it was done (LSD or lockers)? I've read others who say it is the best time to get that work done since it's already open.

Yes, I'm going by the 4.0 table in this post.

Thanks, @89grand for the info. Did you do anything else while it was done (LSD or lockers)? I've read others who say it is the best time to get that work done since it's already open.
I did. I had Detroit Truetracs installed in the front and back, and had Revolution Gear 1541H rear axle shafts installed.

Running 31's here. They are good for moderate wheeling and no issues at all on the road. It all's comes down to building it out to what you will actually use it for. No use in doing a 33 build and all the extra expense if you don't plan on hitting the harder trails on a frequent basis. You can skimp on cheaper components but ultimately you get what you pay for. If you build it out...build it right. Save now with lower quality....pay a lot more later. I'm on the road more than the trails....but you can still have a lot of fun with 31s and a 2" lift on the trail.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
FWIW, I’m driving with 31s and 4.56. It’s not too steep and I like it a lot. I almost went 4.10 but I felt like I would be wasting money regearing to only 4.10. Plus I have the option to go 32s or 33s with my next set of tires. I’m very happy I went 4.56. I definitely would have buyers remorse if I went 4.10.

Edit: I also have the NV 3550 5 spd

Reactions: RMETeeJay