Who's a proven mole killer?

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I have tried jeep exhaust into holes, fruity bubble gum, $100 worth of smoke bombs, diesel and oil in holes, traditional traps and now onto these snare traps. Any tips and tricks? Had one of the snares for a week but no catches. Picked up 3 more and planted today.

PXL_20210103_220921237.jpg

I’ve always had a hell of a hard time getting gophers.

Only time I’ve ever got one is flooding their tunnels and when they come out, chop ‘em with a shovel, or shoot ‘em with a.22.

I have mixed results with the gopher hawk poles you are trying. If you really want to be done with them once and for all, you have to blow them up.

Fill the hole with oxyacetylene for about thirty seconds or so and then use a remote piezoelectric ignition to spark it from a safe distance. The shockwave kills the mole/gopher and collapses the tunnel network. Without collapsing the tunnel network you will constantly have new ones setting up shop.

There's some pretty helpful videos on youtube

I have mixed results with the gopher hawk poles you are trying. If you really want to be done with them once and for all, you have to blow them up.

Fill the hole with oxyacetylene for about thirty seconds or so and then use a remote piezoelectric ignition to spark it from a safe distance. The shockwave kills the mole/gopher and collapses the tunnel network. Without collapsing the tunnel network you will constantly have new ones setting up shop.

There's some pretty helpful videos on youtube
That sounds fun as hell.

When I was a kid we spent some time in MO, local farmers would pay kids to take a .22 out to his field & pop gophers (or groundhogs, whatever the MO version was). Way better than a lemonade stand.

I have tried jeep exhaust into holes, fruity bubble gum, $100 worth of smoke bombs, diesel and oil in holes, traditional traps and now onto these snare traps. Any tips and tricks? Had one of the snares for a week but no catches. Picked up 3 more and planted today.

View attachment 215514
I'm with you on moles, I've used multiple methods with mixed results. I had the best luck with Cinch Mole Traps but they take a bit of prep getting the two holes opened up in the dirt mound.
I'm going to try these Tomcat traps that Daryl uses and recommends. At twelve bucks a piece I bought four. Having used the Tomcat mouse traps with excellent results, I think their products are solid.

The "Rodenator" does look like the most fun!

That sounds fun as hell.

When I was a kid we spent some time in MO, local farmers would pay kids to take a .22 out to his field & pop gophers (or groundhogs, whatever the MO version was). Way better than a lemonade stand.
We do that here on the ranch every spring with ground squirrels because they tear up our hay fields. I set up my shooting stand and early in the morning have at 'em.

No luck with gophers though, Can't catch 'em above ground.

Reactions: Blondie70
This thread is cracking me up. I know the frustration of gophers. I finally just moved.

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl
I have been battling Voles instead of moles since I moved to the sticks. So far I caught one with a Gopher Hawk. Split the little shit in half pulling the Hawk out of the ground. I gassed a couple of times. Last time I did it, I stood by one of the other holes and stomped two that came flying out. Crushed one on the run with the ZT mower. So, it's Cheesy-4, Voles-Who the hell knows.

I'm liking the oxy-acetylene suggestion.

my parents have had phenomenal success with the Gopher Hawk snare. I don't how you're using it, but they'll see a mole pop up and immediately go out with a shovel, dig down to find the tunnel, then set the snare in it and lightly cover the hole. They almost always catch one within a few minutes that way, when setting it when they know the mole has been in the vicinity within minutes.

They fought with them for years and then had them gone within a few weeks of using it.

I've had good success with these. I have caught 84 gophers and counting since 2011. I get them at Home Depot.
Unlike baits , smoke bombs and other crap, you know when you have got them.

victor-animal-traps-0611-64_1000.jpg

I use a choker trap.
Screenshot_20210104-182622.png

Couple tricks to them. You gotta find the active tunnels. When I notice, one, I smash it down. If it pops back up, it's active. Smash it back down, use a flat shovel to make room for the loop. Set the trap and wait. You should get it within a day or two. If you haven't the mole can smell you or something scared it off.

I’ve always seemed to have luck with the Little Giant smoke bombs. Honestly our cats do a hell of a job. Probably better better body count than mine.
Acetylene is fun, right up until you set the front pasture on fire.

Treat your yard with Talstar granules also. It kills the grubs and stuff that moles like to eat.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Glad I just have to deal with snakes and scorpions.
We moved from TX to WA in 2019. Where we lived out in the country in TX we had those stupid bark scorpions 🦂. Hated those things. One year we decided to put in gutters, and on all four corners 200 gallon rain barrels. After the first rain you’re curious if the barrels are full, so I go out and check. On top there’s a mesh that the water from the downspout falls through. Those things were full of 15-20 scorpions each. I killed them all, of course. Every rain more scorpions 🦂 as their numbers gradually decreased. Freaky.

• Wow
Reactions: MountaineerTom