Who's a proven mole killer?

your question was a reply to me, I didn't want to leave you hanging without an answer or without knowing that my answer was the same as what was posted by another user.
Well then i retract my snarky reply, daily mortal combat with burrowing rodents can put a man on edge.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Interesting it appears to be illegal to ship to my home state. Must be good shit!
I don’t know if these stores are nation wide, but Southern States sells Talstar in my area. It’s like a Feed/Farm kind of store. We had them in WV also.

I've never had enough problem with moles to go after them - they're relatively harmless in the part of California I lived in. About ditto here in Florida. But gophers in California was an out and out war. About the only thing that I ever had work even halfway were traps - occasionally flooding. Gassing didn't do much, beeping stakes worked for a short time then they came back, etc, etc.

When I was about 12, there had been a gopher gnawing on a crabapple tree and driving my dad up the wall. He finally hit on a solution that turned out to be effective. He figured this out at zero dark thirty one AM, and immediately acted on it. Unfortunately, he neglected to inform anyone else of this wondrous plan, so when the .303 Enfield went off, my ass came off the mattress about 6 inches! Sounded like someone fired an 88 off in the front yard!

But - no more gopher. It was either pulverized by the bullet, killed by the shockwave, or the damn thing is STILL running! 🤣🤣🤣

I received the Trapline mole traps that were recommended above. These are smaller than I thought which is great. Just barely fits in the tunnels. Used some boards to cover the hole then piled leaves to hide the light.

Still sitting at zero kills!

PXL_20210109_212529166.jpg

PXL_20210109_211742455.jpg

I received the Trapline mole traps that were recommended above. These are smaller than I thought which is great. Just barely fits in the tunnels. Used some boards to cover the hole then piled leaves to hide the light.

Still sitting at zero kills!

View attachment 216656

View attachment 216657
Whelp they buried all 6 of traps in dirt and no snaps wtf. I might have to join the lawn forum...

I don't know about trapping moles, but when trapping gophers, you need to leave a slight opening so the gopher will go to investigate and/or try to backfill, going through the trap in the process. No opening, no particular reason to go through the trap.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Finally one down. The gopher hawk draws first blood. I started trying to bury the gopher hawk a bit deeper so the bottom sits beneath the tunnel bottom. I reset a bunch of them.

The Trapline are still getting dug under every single time. Even though I am jamming the leading edge into the dirt as directed. I reached out to trapline but they have no phone number and don't respond to email so that is a bummer.

PXL_20210123_185119467.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
I’ve always had a hell of a hard time getting gophers.
My Uncle Billy was an Army Ranger, Silver Star winning, behind the enemy lines kind of guy. Known for standing up to his neck in water for days to watch North Korean troop movements during the Korean War. He received a battlefield commision to 2nd Lieutenant in Korea. And a stealthy guy when he needed to be.

So I'm 10 years old and he's spending a few days with us when my dad mentioned at the dinner table he was fighting gophers in the back yard. Uncle Billy said nothing except to chuckle at my dad's going through everything he had tried.

The next morning we get up and Uncle Billy is sleeping in on the couch, he finally got up around 10 am and while in the kitchen pouring coffee tells my dad 'got those gophers for you last night'. We ran outside to have him tell us how. He had placed an aluminum chaise lounge chair next to a couple of the gopher holes, opened up his first beer of 10-12, and waited. Clobbered them with my baseball bat when they poked their heads up lol. He was always impressing me with something, and he gave me 'the talk' while we walked around the neighborhood my last weekend before shipping out to Vietnam in 1969. He drove 110 miles to do that for me. I miss him lots.