Who's excited about the Jeep Gladiator JT?

I
It will have some good initial sales reception like Hummers did , it is so unique and just what some people want , and may exceed everyone's expectations long term .

If it fares as well long term as a truck seller , I will be really surprised.
Don’t backtrack now haha stick to your guns and what you said initially. This sounds like your backing down and your not as confident in your initial posts lol. You don’t think it will sell well or you don’t know if it will sell well now??

Damn that sucks. Just for everyone's refrence, the man in these pictues is 6'3 and 270 lbs.
Refrence: page 4 of the " Black Gladiator JT Club" on the Jeep Gladiator forum.
View attachment 85895View attachment 85896
His quote copied and pasted from his post:"I sat in back seat after leaving the front all the way back. I was able to fit. I would not want to ride hours this way but would be fine on short trips with front seat forward a bit more. The rear top was in and I had PLENTY of headroom. Maybe 4” or more to the roof panel."

Again, for reference.
Yep, I'm 6', 255# and there is plenty of seat adjustment for me to drive. The rear seat is cramped no matter what you do but no worse than half the "short" quad cabs out there. The "long" crew cab 4 doors are plenty big but the JKU/JLU/JT are not built to take a crew of fallers to a work site. They are designed for families, kids in the back.

The trolls screaming a 6' guy uses the rollbar for a head rest are just that, trolls. And if you are that obese, go buy an Econoline.

• Haha
Reactions: Sancho
Don’t backtrack now haha stick to your guns and what you said initially. This sounds like your backing down and your not as confident in your initial posts lol. You don’t think it will sell well or you don’t know if it will sell well now??
No one knows the future , except Jerry Bransford .

It will sell some initially , all new models do. It has a buzz going .

It won't be the next 4 door Wrangler as far as a massive hit or a threat in mid sized truck sales in my opinion .

Back to why this thing is ugly...(in my humble opinion, of course) For me, it all comes down to where the rear tires are. I'm sure there is a valid engineering reason for their location, but they seem too far forward. I think it is the flare encroaching on the cab. Or the fact that the rear tire is basically tangent with the rear of the cab.

Compare it to the Colorado (this is my actual truck) See how the rear axle is more central on the bed of the pickup? The rear overhang is similar, but it just looks so much better. More balanced.

The New ranger.... The axle isn't as centered, but still not encroaching on the cab.

Taco...Seems to run about the same as the Ranger.

All quad cabs, short boxes. The jeep just looks "off" to me. Other than that, I think its pretty cool.

Back to why this thing is ugly...(in my humble opinion, of course) For me, it all comes down to where the rear tires are. I'm sure there is a valid engineering reason for their location, but they seem too far forward. I think it is the flare encroaching on the cab. Or the fact that the rear tire is basically tangent with the rear of the cab.

View attachment 85914

Compare it to the Colorado (this is my actual truck) See how the rear axle is more central on the bed of the pickup? The rear overhang is similar, but it just looks so much better. More balanced.

View attachment 85915

The New ranger.... The axle isn't as centered, but still not encroaching on the cab.

View attachment 85916

Taco...Seems to run about the same as the Ranger.

View attachment 85918

All quad cabs, short boxes. The jeep just looks "off" to me. Other than that, I think its pretty cool.
It only looks off because it is different. I prefer the JT front because it has less overhang and no vulnerable plastic. I dislike most new trucks because by pulling the axle and engine back the engine hides under the windshield. And the windshield is huge. I much prefer cleaning the windshield in a Wrangler.

As to the proportions.... I like the old school look of the JT.

chev 34 c523-leftside-remote.jpg

or this,

s-l1600.jpeg

or this, pure function.

36910946_1862132694088873_4435453120746618880_n.jpg

Plus none of the midsize trucks are really that great . They all ride on fairly old platforms and never thought I could say this but the Jeep has a WAY nicer interior than those.

You bring up a great points in comparing the other mid size trucks to the Jeep.

And you're right, its odd to read that. But its true, the Jeep has the better interior.

One thing we can all agree on is its a new venture for Jeep. The continued success of Jeep, its brand, and its heritage is important. To me anyways.

Its great to see more people in more Jeeps. I believe, with no evidence to back it up, that the more people buy into the brand and its new ventures, the greater the chance that some of those buyers will grow more interest in older models.

I wasnt around when the CJ-7was a “new” model but because I had a YJ and grew to love it, I gained interest in the CJ that came before it and then the TJ that came after it.

Not sure if that makes sense but to me it does and thats awesome to see. More Jeeps out and about is a good thing for the off road community as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and KennedyLJ
If the Jeep JT does become a “success” it will force/persuade the other brands to build their models or design new models to compete with it. Again, building more growth in the off road community.

If the Jeep JT does become a “success” it will force/persuade the other brands to build their models or design new models to compete with it. Again, building more growth in the off road community.
They really deserve all the success they have.

as far as the new Gladiator being ugly I thought the new four-door was ugly in 2007.

Then when I saw them lifted I thought they were the cat's meow.

While I'm not against the Gladiator, I would like to see the Wrangler series with bigger engines heavy-duty transmission and possibly independent suspension...that is a vehicle that I don't believe has reached its full potential.

I think my gut is just telling me Gladiator is so specialized and unique it's going to reach a smaller Market.

I'm with you all the way though I like to see the brand flourish and prosper and I'm glad it's still around.

I'm proud to drive a Jeep

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Look at all the soccer moms cruising around in JKs and JLs.

And to add to that, those same soccer moms are cruising around in their mid size Tacomas and Colorados as well.

Not only did Jeep listen to the constant “bring back the Jeep truck,” they also realized it was a rather large consumer market they could take over and guarantee sales.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I’m in the market for a new truck in the next 6-9 months.

The Gladiator has me interested. I like many others, wish for the Hemi though but the other mid size offerings are very similar in power.

I’m coming from a crew cab F350 diesel. I don’t need the huge truck anymore and at most will tow a small travel trailer in the 5k pound range and my TJ.

Just knowing this info puts me solidly into a full size 1/2 ton truck and I’d be asking a lot of the mid size trucks. They are just so much more pleasurable to drive daily....

I have time.

I think it will sell very well!

Is this thing actually going into production with the small back door, that is only that small and that shape on a JLU because it has to be? It sure doesn't look like it needs to be that shape on this monstrosity.

Good eye for detail on noticing that the rear doors are in fact smaller and angled and dont quite fit the aesthetics of the JT, I agree. But I found the answer.The JLU Wrangler uses the angle of the door to accomodate the rear tire wheel weels (Duh). Having the rear wheel wells so close to the rear door resulted in the smaller angled doors on the JLU. It also makes it easier to climb in.

Jeep claims they do in fact re-use the JLU rear doors on the JT so that it is easier for production to just re-use what they already have. This also drives down manufacturing cost which is passed along to the consumer, hence the 35K starting price which was relativly lower than some "analyst." speculated.

You can imagine that having to engineer, design, and build seperate doors for the JT would add cost to the build versus re-using what they already have in plant. It would make it much easier for aftermarket companies to support. There is also the fact that if you had a JT and were involved in an accident, your search for a salvage yard JT door would easier if both the JLU rear doors and the JT rear doors were one in the same.

Last edited: