Who's excited about the Jeep Gladiator JT?

What actually makes Europe's crash test so different than the American crash test? Not knowing anything about Euro's specs/standards, I would have guessed USA's crash test standards were higher and harder to pass.

And to be fair, most Euro cars are small and petite, both overall and engine wise, right? Could be their way to force manufacturers to build only small footprint type cars in Euro.

While the jeep does pass "minimum" standards and is able to be sold they could have done better. It does take a hit on lack of safety features not enough to drop it to one start. The biggest problem is the injuries caused by relatively low speed crashes. 68km or 40ish Mph

Jeep will not release the results of the US crash tests. Only roll over data. (Not legally required to) but has issued statements that it meets us standards. AKA minimums. I would like to see the results of the study.

You can see the damage suffered by the test dummies in the report on this site.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/jeep/wrangler/34192
From there you can view other crash tests.

In before their published.
C21BC142-49CE-47DC-9B63-AFDAA517062D.jpeg
706FC017-E1C8-4017-B41F-1FC7D63FAFF9.jpeg

I just wonder if jeep designed it on the JL platform will it still fail every crash test like the JL did in Europe.

Thoughts?
No idea how the standard crash results are for the JL/JT but the TJ has one of the lowest death rates for drivers. And my insurance is $250.00 less for the TJ than for a pickup of the same age.

The worst rated vehicle for driver survivability is/was the Nissan 370Z. Real world insurance industry results include how crazy the driver might be. Most of those 370Z fatalities were single vehicle collisions. Likely with light posts at double the limit.

And unfortunately the rating systems "think" those are safety features. airbags, yes, but the rest are only there because drivers are too lazy to drive. Sounds more like a hazard than a safety feature.
Right, I was a bit let down when I saw that it "scored low" based off the fact it didnt have automatic braking...

Right, I was a bit let down when I saw that it "scored low" based off the fact it didnt have automatic braking...
It got the low score because the driver and passenger can be severely injured. If the occupants are safer than the score would be higher. The only received 50% on adult occupancy.

Also keep in mind this was only 40mph +or - a few.

While the did do well in the whiplash tests. So they have that going for them.

Screenshot_20190410-223722_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190410-223715_Drive.jpg

And unfortunately the rating systems "think" those are safety features. airbags, yes, but the rest are only there because drivers are too lazy to drive. Sounds more like a hazard than a safety feature.

I wonder to what degree you can tone down or even turn off all these features? Supposedly owners of the new Chevy Colorado ZR2 Hyper-Deluxe Baja Offroad whatever package have been experiencing curtain airbag deployments while off-roading. I guess the system could (and did) incorrectly predict a roll-over and pop the bags on even fairly mild trails (for a truck marketed as an offroad monster anyway).

I wonder to what degree you can tone down or even turn off all these features? Supposedly owners of the new Chevy Colorado ZR2 Hyper-Deluxe Baja Offroad whatever package have been experiencing curtain airbag deployments while off-roading. I guess the system could (and did) incorrectly predict a roll-over and pop the bags on even fairly mild trails (for a truck marketed as an offroad monster anyway).

What we are running into in this day and age is "street safety" because the vehicle is primarily driven on the street it must bu built to the high safty standards.

If you look at the majority of people who drive jeeps. Do not go off road. This leaves the minority that want to do extreme things and the inability to do so. It sucks to be in the minority but it is jusy something that we will overcome.

As far as disabling a safty feature. You run into 2 problems. Thoes that turn it off because they don't like the nanny state and sue when the get hurt because they didn't understand it would not automatically turn back on in the event of a crash.

And thoes that will sue because they forget to turn it off. " it should have reminded me".

If people want a truly capable off road vehicle without saftey features they have options.

Buy one that is only used off road.
Buy an older vehicle with out airbags.

Im sure there are more.

Moral of the story: we are the minority and our concerns don't matter to the manufacturer or safety testing companies.

Reactions: qslim
What i have noticed about that build. They raised the rear bumper and removed the ability to tow. Also im not sure how droping the control arms with bolt on brackets are going to hold up to abuse.

Sometimes I just don't understand why people do things.

What i have noticed about that build. They raised the rear bumper and removed the ability to tow. Also im not sure how droping the control arms with bolt on brackets are going to hold up to abuse.
Your questions are legit, however I would consider the fact that they "built" this Gladiator JT in just a few days for EJS.
Sometimes I just don't understand why people do things.
Too easy. It was mentioned that they must return the Gladiator to Jeep in a completely stock configuration. They mentienod that they would not be cutting and welding, out of respect for Jeep's "return policy." The shop/owner does not own the Gladiator in the video.

Last edited:
That is true. I have one of those "Chevy Colorado ZR2 Hyper-Deluxe Baja Offroad whatever package" trucks. GM had 11 (Last I heard) instances of Airbag deployment in non emergency situations then released a software patch to the system that recalibrated the sensor. Just another example of the internet echo chamber making a negative issue seem FAR more prevalent that it was. I don't know why they didn't offer a defeat mode, like they do for the Tacoma, but they didn't. Time will tell if its "fixed" but those guys are pretty smart.

I'm SURE that the JT will have something go wrong as well. They all do. When you think about how much code, how many sensors, how many moving parts, how many different engineers working on a modern vehicle...The fact that they work at all is amazing to me, let alone how minor the issues actually are. I know how big my previous employer was when I was in tier one automotive supply...and we were only one of literally hundreds of suppliers to an OEM auto manufacturer. Its truly amazing to think about.

As far as @Fouledplugs was posting...The gladiator does have some advanced safety features, like automatic braking, blind zone monitoring, and "cross path detection." That won't be automatic lane correction, but I bet its an alert if you wander. Its not standard, but it is available...

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Who's excited about the Jeep Gladiator JT?

Very much less excited after my first sighting of one actually on the street. Only managed one decent photo with my phone:
IMG_0169[1].JPG

The thing is just too long, too low to the ground, and very ungainly looking. It doesn't really look like a Jeep or a pickup truck. This one appears to be an entry level, no frills version.

No thanks.