Who's familar with the NSG370 internals?

whitrzac

TJ Enthusiast
This happened sometime in the past 20k. Trans shifts OK, doesn't pop out of gear, etc.

20200330_101841.jpg

I just put on a BM short throw shifter. That looks like one of the shifter pawls that the shifter keyed into. Maybe?

If you have an hour, pop off your shift tower and take a look. One bolt for the shifter, 2 holding the plastic bezel, 4 holding the shift tower.

That is one of the spring and ball detents for the snychro hub. That's crazy it flew out somehow. i don't know what to say other than if it works ok run it til it doesn't?

That would drive me crazy personally and I would yard it out and take it apart and fix it. But it could run that way for a while I suppose. I'm pretty much 99% sure that's what it is also.

ZMNSG37025.jpg

Reactions: Daryl
I was thinking the same. But it still shifts as it did when I bought it.

There are 3 that detent each hub, so it will run with out it. Just keep an eye and ear on your transmission for noise or popping out. If you experience either know its time to take it out and fix it.

I'm not sure how it popped out either, it had to have over extended just enough for it to fly out.

The good thing is you know its missing one. Weird, but not really an emergency yet obviously as you said it works great.

Just double-checking here-

In the synchro pic, it looks like the pawls have a lip on each end that is not on the OP's pic. Also maybe a slight arc. Unless that is just a generic synchro pic not specifically for the nsg370.

Just double-checking here-

In the synchro pic, it looks like the pawls have a lip on each end that is not on the OP's pic. Also maybe a slight arc. Unless that is just a generic synchro pic not specifically for the nsg370.

Pic was generic. But the same style. After looking at an nsg370 parts diagram the part he showed is one of the synchro keys off the 5-6 slider hub assembly. It matches exactly.

I've had a few nsg370's apart. They are expensive to repair, I know that. They are a Mercedes transmission.

Reactions: Daryl