Who's running a mesh safari top?

Alienshade here... No complaints! I've seen several of the brands (Spiderweb, Amazon knock offs) and they all look pretty much the same... Mainly the color options

I have an alien shade as well. I am very happy with it.

I ordered the LJ version for my TJ so that the rear occupants would also be covered.
Spiderwebshade, I ordered the TJ version for my LJ cause I didn't want to have to look at it hanging down.

Reactions: Alex01
I've had the original Spiderwebshade on my TJ for a long time now along with the sides. Love them both. Haven't ever taken them off.

Recently I bought a Alienshade one, the TJ front, to put on the back of the Jeep, and it works great. I wanted full coverage top to bottom in the back, because last year I did a trip to the desert with my 3yr old and the sun was coming in from behind during the day. Then on the way home we went through the mountains at dusk and the cold air was rushing back-to-front. The new back shade solves both problems.

Spidy shade here. Pretty much stays on year round.
Being a guy that likes the open air/ sky above feel, I was pleasantly suprised at how much i enjoy my spiderweb shade, it doesnt feel at all like a bikini top, knocks off a little wind, and definitely keeps you from baking at a light. It’s dumpster tarp material basically, and I think it is a great Jeep product.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I have the Spiderweb Shade which stays on year round. I mainly use it in Spring and Fall when I put the top down. I run the soft top as basically a safari top with half doors and all windows out during summer. I prefer the hard shade of the soft top when the summer sun is beating down. Plus it helps during the pop up rain showers, the spiderweb shade is not so great in that regard.

Reactions: John Cooper
Spiderweb here...no complaints, great fit! I wanted an alienshade since it is the same thing at lower price but there were ordering problems last spring. you won't go wrong with either one

I have a smittybilt mesh top for my TJ, the version that covers the rear passengers too. It mounts and unmounts easily with small bungees. It can stay mounted without getting in the way of a hardtop or soft top.

I have two complaints. The way it mounts to the sport bar, and the way the sport bar is shaped, it hangs down into the headspace of rear passengers, even short ones. If you ever get it full of dust, good luck ever getting it clean. These aren’t specific to the smittybilt, it probably goes for all mesh shades. I’d get a solid bikini or Bimini top if I wanted to run something like that again

Spiderweb here...no complaints, great fit! I wanted an alienshade since it is the same thing at lower price but there were ordering problems last spring. you won't go wrong with either one
Apparently Alien is out of business at present.

Important note: Due to COVID-19, the company is temporarily out of business. They plan to re-open fully soon, but you can still find some stock on Amazon.

When you put in aliensunshade.com you go straight to Amazon

It appears there is a lot of stock...perhaps they're still pounding grommets and just selling through Amazon only..??

Who the fuckingCovid knows!!!!

My old mantra...April fools day top and doors off to Halloween top and doors back on.
Back in the CJ days I used to run a bikini when doors and top came off...they were tiny and simple. Folded behind the seat and throw it on if need be.

The TJ bikini tops suck. The first turn you go around someone is getting a wet leg....the straps and buckles suck as they get brittle here...really bad!!!!

I have the windows out now and the top stays tucked behind the rear seat. I can get the top up similar to a safari pretty damn quick. Faster than putting a TJ bikini on truth be told.

But...I've got this little kid(my last youngest is 22 years old) he's 14 months now. Loves the Jeep but the little snapper hates the sun.

I think I'm going with Spider shade. If it's a small rain I'm not worried about a littke mist. If it's a super storm I can throw up the soft top safari style tucked behind the seat.

Thx for the input all...