Why are Jeeps so expensive?

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why Jeeps are so expensive? When I was shopping for mine I was amazed at the prices of even used Jeeps. And the insurance on them is kinda high also.

Can’t answer for new ones other than to say nowadays they are packed with a lot of tech.

As for TJs. What is the alternative to a basic (tech wise) very off road worthy vehicle with good street manners and can be a convertible? The prices are what the market will bear. TJs are hot and people want them when they want a JEEP without the tech complexities and bloatiness on JKs and JLs. Heck if money was unlimited I would have 3 TJs. One hardtop, one soft top (always off) and a built Rubicon.

Jeeps are just highly desired, usually well taken care of and outside of a few small issues and despite what you may hear they are very reliable as well as easy to work on.

As for insurance I don't know what you mean, my Jeep doesn't cost me much at all. I had a JK for years (that I bought new) and paid $70 to $80 for full coverage. Went and got an F150 and my six month policy went up by $200.

In fact Jeeps, dollar for dollar, are actually the CHEAPEST vehicles to insure according to a study.

Edit: prices can be a funny thing though. We bought our TJ two years ago, a 2000 Sport 4.0 with around 97k at the time if I remember correctly. Cost us $10,500 from the dealer. The great thing about a Jeep is that they are probably one of the few vehicles that you are almost instantly right-side-up on in payments. My JK was new in 2012, I sold it a year ago with 110,000 miles for $19,000 (granted, it probably had $8,000 in stuff done to it, so that guy still got a good deal)

Last edited:
Jeeps are different than any other vehicle on the road. Their shape and design differs. Their ability to easily take the top off or put on. Their ability to have the doors easily removed gives them a stand alone status in the auto world.

Other than that they can be a real PITA! I think that's part of my love affair. I'll sell for $17,900 and get a much better riding vehicle.

My insurance is relatively cheap compared to my prior F250 and our current Yukon

A lot of what plays into the insurance rates has to do with safety features. My 2014 acura and 2018 Honda are both cheaper to insure than the 2002 Jeep due to the increased safety ratings in newer cars.

Every single year Car and Driver puts out a report on the top 5 vehicles with highest resale value. Guess what is ALWAYS number one or two? The JEEP WRANGLER.

It's plain and simple... these things are so expensive because people really want them, and they're willing to pay the asking price. A nice, clean, rust free TJ / LJ can sell these days for almost the same price it cost brand new!

It's pretty amazing! Sucks for the buyer, but it's awesome if you're the seller!

Re-sale out here is high too.... I keep having to fight with my insurance company as they price in depreciation every year when I go to re-new my insurance....and I keep saying nooooo its worth more now that what it was last year.

Reactions: Chris
Jeeps tend to go up in price just enough each year to keep the prices on used ones up as well . The other thing is a lot get rolled and totaled so there is less used inventory. This does raise insurance on high risk drivers . My insurance is less than my WRX was but more than any of my Land Cruisers I have owned. However the slightly higher insurance is made up at time of resale . That’s why I don’t sweat it . I bought my WRX CPO and sold it 2 years later for a few hundred more than I paid . I kept it bone stock and perfect. The advantage of being older and taking care of my stuff I guess and the fact so many are killed by punk kids. There are so many beat to hell Jeeps it’s the same story.

Reactions: Chris
Jeeps tend to go up in price just enough each year to keep the prices on used ones up as well . The other thing is a lot get rolled and totaled so there is less used inventory. This does raise insurance on high risk drivers . My insurance is less than my WRX was but more than any of my Land Cruisers I have owned. However the slightly higher insurance is made up at time of resale . That’s why I don’t sweat it . I bought my WRX CPO and sold it 2 years later for a few hundred more than I paid . I kept it bone stock and perfect. The advantage of being older and taking care of my stuff I guess and the fact so many are killed by punk kids. There are so many beat to hell Jeeps it’s the same story.
Nothing wrong with using the vehicle the way you want to. I don’t believe beating up a vehicle raises the price on that type of vehicle in this case. I believe it’s just demand. If it’s the other case, late 90s Honda civics would be expensive.
Even the beat up jeeps draw a good price.

Reactions: Nominal
Nothing wrong with using the vehicle the way you want to. I don’t believe beating up a vehicle raises the price on that type of vehicle in this case. I believe it’s just demand. If it’s the other case, late 90s Honda civics would be expensive.
Even the beat up jeeps draw a good price.
Have you seen what a clean EG hatch sells for lately

Reactions: Nominal
Also the Wrangler is such a lifestyle vehicle. There are plenty of crazy enthusiasts like us that spend stupid money and do really cool things and people want to be a part of that . They may be crawling to the mall but they still have those Moab rides in their mind even though they only experience it on YouTube! I experienced the perfect example of this when one of the moms in my son’s school showed me her new JL (Rubicon Recon BTW) . I reminded her she was one of the “Cool Mom’s” , she laughed and answered “yep lol”.
Plus many people justify them as a third car because they can have a cool car that will hold its resale so prices will stay up on clean street Jeeps .
Then even the beaters hold their value because guys like us may “ buy a cheap one to build and wheel the hell out of “

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
IMO it’s demand. It has a following similar to VW buses. I have seen those things rusted out and no engine going for 10k +. Wranglers and CJs have the same cult following. My midlife crisis Jeep is a 1973 CJ5 and I have seen them in really horrible shape going for 4-6k.

because you'd never get your Camry out of here

1.jpg