Why are most Jeeps manual in Europe?

None of these are answering my original question!

Plenty touch on it. To answer your original question: The Jeeps you are looking to rent are all manual because about 85% of vehicles are manual in Europe.

To answer the question why are there more manual vehicles in Europe: The main reason is culture.

Now if you’re asking why automatics never caught on the same way in Europe the same way they did in the states, that’s a more nuanced answer.

Many say it comes down to cost, autos are normally more expensive to buy, older autos were worst with fuel economy (fuel is significantly more expensive in Europe) and repairs can be costly. I think in 50 years you’ll see more automatics in Europe with newer autos being more efficient, but these changes don’t happen overnight, especially when learners will continue to learn manual, and maybe “don’t know” how to drive automatic.

Last edited:
I think in 50 years you’ll see more automatics in Europe with newer autos being more efficient, but these changes don’t happen overnight, especially when learners will continue to learn manual, and maybe “don’t know” how to drive automatic.
In 50 years most of our vehicles will be direct drive electric cars which wont come with a clutch...

Reactions: tomtaylz
I also noticed that most of the vehicles in Europe are diesel, also.

I wouldn’t say most, but more so than the states. There is more and more regulations on Diesels and they have lowered in numbers quite a lot even in the past few years.

Traditionally diesel has been the same price as petrol, and you got many more MPG so it was a logical choice.

Now there are restrictions in Europe in some town centres where diesels between certain years are not allowed. If I was in Europe, I wouldn’t be buying a diesel right now.

I wouldn’t say most, but more so than the states. There is more and more regulations on Diesels and they have lowered in numbers quite a lot even in the past few years.

Traditionally diesel has been the same price as petrol, and you got many more MPG so it was a logical choice.

Now there are restrictions in Europe in some town centres where diesels between certain years are not allowed. If I was in Europe, I wouldn’t be buying a diesel right now.
I guess I can't speak for all of Europe, but where I was in the Czech Republic, Germany, and France, it was not easy to find a vehicle that was not diesel.

Our first trip to France after we were married we ended up leasing a Volvo S60 turbo diesel with a 6 speed manual. That was an incredible car. The agent at Sixt asked if I could drive a manual, or would a prefer the two-door econobox with an auto. Besides easier maintenance and better MPG, manual transmission cars are less expensive to purchase. It is sad that so few cars and trucks are available with them here.

I also noticed that most of the vehicles in Europe are diesel, also.

I was going to point this out also. Now I haven't been in Europe since the late 80's but there were a lot more diesel vehicles than here in the states. As others have pointed out fuel costs are WAY higher than here. I remember back then I use to say there was no way we would ever see fuel costing $4 per gallon. At the time fuel cost about that in Germany and you were only allowed to buy so many gallons of fuel on base each month. If you needed more than what was rationed you had to buy it on the German economy.
Most vehicles in Germany have smaller engines in them also because of the fuel price plus they are taxed on the size of the engine if it is larger than 1.9ltr. So that was another reason for manual transmission back then. Automatics robbed too much power so they were a manual transmission.

None of these are answering my original question!

Cost is the answer.. I suppose.
Man trannies (lol), are cheaper than auto.

The VAT tax and other costs, make purchasing a car very expensive. I remember talking to a Dane, and he mentioned how basic Ford Focus cost the equivalent to 40k here... making a Ford focus a sought after vehicle.

That's because they realize you have to actually enjoy life, not just work your entire life away ;)
lol depends on the culture, we know if we are doing any business with companies based in Italy, to avoid august as they pretty much close up shop out there during that month. In Germany they generally dont do overtime as its seen as a failure and miscalculation of time management and planning.

There is also the european Working Time Directive we have been a part of it since the 90's. it limits most people to work a 48hour week and we are entitled to a certain number of days holiday by law.
I have opted out of the WTD because of the nature of my work, saturday and sundays pushes my day rate up to 1.5 and double and this increases my holiday pay which is also includes the avarage overtime I do each month along with my flat rate. I am entited to 26 days of paid leave per year, I would usually take a couple weeks off mid year than take the whole of december off if I have no major projects in that month. I can alo carry some days over to the first quarter of the following year if I dont use it all. The most days I have accumulated in a year was 37.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Cost is the answer.. I suppose.
Man trannies (lol), are cheaper than auto.

The VAT tax and other costs, make purchasing a car very expensive. I remember talking to a Dane, and he mentioned how basic Ford Focus cost the equivalent to 40k here... making a Ford focus a sought after vehicle.
Denmark and a few other nordic nations are a special case, They get Vehicle Registration Tax where those guys have to pay something silly like150% tax marked up on new cars they purchase. Ford Focus are cheap vehicles in the UK.

Reactions: Sancho
To answer the question why are there more manual vehicles in Europe: The main reason is culture.

I worked overseas for so many years. It is the infrastructure of the entire society from mechanics to vendors to sponsorships, commerce to trade schools. In some way, just like a capitalism and/or the communism. The entire society is systematically structured around the "society" that is defined by the people that governs.

Last edited: