Why are my rear springs completely collapsed? (pics attatched - ford 8.8 swap)

npalmi88

The previous owner of my 99 TJ swapped out the rear axle to a ford 8.8, and the springs are completely collapsed, even the slightest bump and it bottoms out. I swapped the springs out with new stock springs because I thought that's what was wrong, did not fix it. (It has the stock jeep shocks too, btw)

I was thinking of swapping out the springs for 3" Teraflex springs from Quadratec, maybe that will fix it? Anyone have any experience with this? I can provide more pics, if needed. I have 35" KM2s on too, with a slight body lift and spacers in the front.

20190625_202111.jpg

20190625_202010.jpg

In the second picture, it looks like you have a spacer on top too. Not that that is your problem, but just imagining what it would do without it.

Reactions: npalmi88
In the second picture, it looks like you have a spacer on top too. Not that that is your problem, but just imagining what it would do without it.

yes it is, do you think removing that and replacing my springs with Teraflex 3"+ springs would fix it? Maybe they previous owner disn't weld the spring plates in the right location?

I swapped the springs out with new stock springs...
I have 35" KM2s on too, with a slight body lift and spacers in the front.

Your rear tires must be in the fenders unless you've done a bit of surgery on the wheel wells.

You're positive you didn't forget to remove the 500lbs of weight from the bed :ROFLMAO:

This one is puzzling. Hopefully jjwv or gollywomper will be able to help out.

maybe I should remove the spacer and use a smaller bumpstop? I have no idea how to solve this other than swapping in a Dana 44 and a new lift which is gonna cost thousands.

maybe I should remove the spacer and use a smaller bumpstop?
Removing the spacer would really make your jeep have some negative rake.

It appears like you have bump stop extensions? Perhaps the previous owner used them to prevent the 35's from hitting the body.

Rear coil should be 8" but looks like it is only 6" (2 inches appear to be the spacer.) This could be caused by the weight of the spare / bumper / cargo rack.

Reactions: npalmi88 and pagrey
You have stock springs and bump stops for a big lift. Remove the bump stops and put the factory ones back in. You might also learn how to cycle the suspension and check for clearance issues. The Jeep looks fairly level so I'd just start with the easy stuff.

Removing the spacer would really make your jeep have some negative rake.

It appears like you have bump stop extensions? Perhaps the previous owner used them to prevent the 35's from hitting the body.

Rear coil should be 8" but looks like it is only 6" (2 inches appear to be the spacer.) This could be caused by the weight of the spare / bumper / cargo rack.

so, swap in teraflex 3"+ springs?