Why are so many oppose to putting a jack on the hood?

Out of curiosity, and because I stir my coffee with an oar, what does everyone think about this solution to carrying tools?
View attachment 123923
it doesn't work for me because like the jack, I have a better place to store mine.

For the purpose of off-roading I guess it works... I just don't see the point of strapping anything to the hood and driving around on the street.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Don't take it to serious, it might be misdirected anger. I personally think you are one of the good guys on here and often enjoy your spirited topics and cheeky humor.
Amen!!

For the purpose of off-roading I guess it works... I just don't see the point of strapping anything to the hood and driving around on the street.
Maybe that's a testament to what a pain in the ass it is to put on and take off?

Reactions: Hog
I think the reason that we really shouldn't publicly display the digging tools is the cops will follow us... And the next thing you know they're going to find out where we put that guy's body.
Plus if I strap tools to the hood of my Jeep.. how’s my wife gunna do the yard work !!

Plus if I strap tools to the hood of my Jeep.. how’s my wife gunna do the yard work !!
Man isn't that the truth...and that is the best time to sit back and enjoy a cold something ...I think they appreciate it when you point out a spot they need to weed eat or something to. They might not act like it but I think deep down inside they do.

Maybe that's a testament to what a pain in the ass it is to put on and take off?
Well not to beat a dead horse but I'll tell you... I'm trying to be really careful with the paint on my white Rubicon which is kind of stupid within itself... Because I get it out and enjoy it..... But every time I was dealing with my Jack which is so dear to my heart... And the thing is very heavy on one end... I was always afraid I was going to do some nasty paint damage.

again I'm going to say something I said earlier that I really think was of merit... Any device that has the ability to convert human power into lifting or dramatically moving one of these vehicles... Could be nice to have around.

there are other reasons that I don't carry mine all the time...

I don't want the excess weight

if I'm going off road or into treacherous territory I know well enough ahead to prepare

I simply don't need it for where it spends 95% of its time... Asphalt.

I really don't want it to get stolen while it's sitting there not being used either.

And lastly if I'm on a pretty serious wheeling expedition I'm going to make sure somebody has got one...and if that person needs to be me that's fine too.

When I ride dirt bikes with groups of guys sometimes we will split up tools so that everyone is not carrying duplicates.

Hikers do that .

Anyway, that I my take on it , as of 1:02 pm today .

Well not to beat a dead horse but I'll tell you... I'm trying to be really careful with the paint on my white Rubicon which is kind of stupid within itself... Because I get it out and enjoy it..... But every time I was dealing with my Jack which is so dear to my heart... And the thing is very heavy on one end... I was always afraid I was going to do some nasty paint damage.

again I'm going to say something I said earlier that I really think was of merit... Any device that has the ability to convert human power into lifting or dramatically moving one of these vehicles... Could be nice to have around.

there are other reasons that I don't carry mine all the time...

I don't want the excess weight

if I'm going off road or into treacherous territory I know well enough ahead to prepare

I simply don't need it for where it spends 95% of its time... Asphalt.

I work out of town all week and my TJ stays in the shop. it stays prepped to save time when I do get to use it. Where I used to live,

I really don't want it to get stolen while it's sitting there not being used either.

And lastly if I'm on a pretty serious wheeling expedition I'm going to make sure somebody has got one...and if that person needs to be me that's fine too.

When I ride dirt bikes with groups of guys sometimes we will split up tools so that everyone is not carrying duplicates.

Hikers do that .

Anyway, that I my take on it , as of 1:02 pm today .
we would do that too riding dirt bikes, its a great way to save weight for everyone and it works in the Jeeping world too for the most part.

I think hi-lift jacks look trashy on the hood.

I think they are not as useful as some here are saying (i.e. it got me out of a jam once in 5 years).

I think it's stupid to commit the fallacy of equating, as in, just because you CAN get injured by any tool, therefore a hi lift is a valid tool to carry on the trail.

I think there is often lack of consideration of a better tool for the same job.

I think you can't get your teeth back very easily.
People shouldn't discount other peoples experiences for the simple fact that, You are not them... Your experiences are not necessarily the same as others. I have personally used and seen numerous others use hi-lift jacks on the trail for anything from lifting a tire off the ground to re-seat a bead, to using the jack handle as a sleeve to trail fix a broken tie rod. Safety is the key.

It is stupid to discount a tools functionality based on the possibility it can be used inaccurately. You CAN get injured by ANY tool if you're not using it correctly or using it beyond the limits that it is designed for. Hi-lift jacks are as safe as the person maintaining and using them.

There is a tool for everything,, (ok maybe not everything) and there are tools designed to be useful over a wide variety of tasks. The hi-lift can be used for multiple tasks so long as you use it the way in which it was designed to be used with the proper attachments, and safety practices.

Last edited:
People shouldn't discount other peoples experiences for the simple fact that, You are not them... Your experiences are not necessarily the same as others. I have personally used and seen numerous others use hi-lift jacks on the trail for anything from lifting a tire off the ground to re-seat a bead to using the jack handle as a sleeve to trail fix a broken tie rod. Safety is the key.

It is stupid to discount a tools functionality based on the possibility it can be used inaccurately. You CAN get injured by ANY tool if you're not using it correctly or using it beyond the limits that it is designed for. Hi-lift jacks are as safe as the person maintaining and using them.

There is a tool for everything,, (ok maybe not everything) and there are tools designed to be useful over a wide variety of tasks. The hi-lift can be used for multiple tasks so long as you use it the way in which it was designed to be used with the proper attachments, and safety practices.
Well spoken

Well spoken
I was typing in the same thing word for word.... That was amazing.

It's really a little bit like the old gun argument... It's the people behind the trigger that are the problem... Whether it's carelessness or just bad aim.

You know I walked into a job site one time and a guy was caulking getting ready to paint a room and he was wearing safety glasses.

well I made some silly comment to one of my workers that I thought that was a little bit Overkill.

Guess what? He had lost one eye in a construction accident... And he sure did not want to lose the other.

Me and my mouth.

I'll go a little further...

It's just as wrong to eat someone alive for not liking hi-lift jacks as it is to pick on someone that does.

And I'll go one further than that... This may even be the last time I ever get involved in any kind of drama over an opinion on something that's so trivial and really doesn't hurt anybody either way.

Last edited:
T
I was typing in the same thing word for word.... That was amazing.

It's really a little bit like the old gun argument... It's the people behind the trigger that are the problem... Whether it's carelessness or just bad aim.

You know I walked into a job site one time and a guy was caulking getting ready to paint a room and he was wearing safety glasses.

well I made some silly comment to one of my workers that I thought that was a little bit Overkill.

Guess what? He had lost one eye in a construction accident... And he sure did not want to lose the other.

Me and my mouth.

I'll go a little further...

It's just as wrong to eat someone alive for not liking hi-lift jacks as it is to pick on someone that does.

And I'll go one further than that... This may even be the last time I ever get involved in any kind of drama over an opinion I'm something that's so trivial and really doesn't hurt anybody either way.
that also applies to a women who is a little “chubby” in the belly area, I never ask if she is pregnant until I see the head crowning😂

Same. And I consider anything impressive I've done with my Jeep as squarely middle of the road.

You may consider it middle of the road but to other guys like Mad Scientist you're a god among men for doing that water crossing.

By the way if you ever go through water deeper than your airbox intake, you can flip the hood open and have a buddy lay on top of the engine to blow air into the tube.

You may consider it middle of the road but to other guys like Mad Scientist you're a god among men for doing that water crossing.

By the way if you ever go through water deeper than your airbox intake, you can flip the hood open and have a buddy lay on top of the engine to blow air into the tube.

False, it wasn't the best water crossing I have seen. Far from it... This is slightly more impressive. I noticed that I managed to turn this almost hateful thread bashing others into a funny and good thread with reverse psychology, while humbling humans who needed it... Looks like it worked. Keep this forum positive and helpful for everyone instead of thinking in a "pack group" of what others think... You will be amazed in some of the people you can meet. Instead of turning this back into a bash thread, lets keep it funny. Have a good day everyone, I mean it. The world runs off of energy.

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.” “The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”