Why are so many oppose to putting a jack on the hood?

Philip

So, why are so many opposed to putting a high lift jack on the hood? Seems like it puts a fairly heavy item between the axels, keeps it out of the dirt, and fairly easy to access. What am I missing?

It coming off and going through your windshield, or coming off and going through someones back window. Seeing the stupid thing in your view as you're driving, and making the hood heavier to lift can be added to the list as well.

In addition, they are rarely ever needed. They seem to be for looks mostly, but the hood is THE worst place to put one.

Most people here are opposed to high lift jacks in general. There are better options for both jacks and recovery equipment.

Better jacks than a classic hi-lift? Please enlighten me. While hi-lifts are very effective, I also think they’re kinda dangerous.
You said it, kinda dangerous. The stock jack can lift a TJ enough to change a 35" tire. Just bring some leveling boards and ditch the hi jack and spend money elsewhere. There are much more useful items, like a winch, lockers, et. al.

There's a certain amount of social responsibility that comes with deciding to not mount 90 lbs of iron on your hood where it will turn into a missile in the event of a collision. It's not like it's a frequently used item, put it somewhere else.

I put mine here. I guess I'm a "Tramp".
CIMG6561.JPG

If I wanted to carry a hilift, it would go in the back spanning the roll bars. But I don't want to carry a hilift. And the hood is a ridiculous place to put one.

From what I've seen, there's a very specific way and important steps to take to use a high-lift in a safe way, and you'll never find those conditions on the trail.
I did......got my passenger side front coil spring back in using my Hi Lift jack, worked great!

While I agree with everyone saying the hood is a horrible place to store a Hi-Lift style jack, I don't agree with those that say they are not useful or their functions can be replaced by a common screw type bottle jack. I have carried a hi-lift jack since I started off roading, and have used it on plenty of occasions, and not just for lifting a tire off the ground.
Can they be dangerous? Hell yes, extremely but, so can a bottle jack. Using any tool can be dangerous if you use it outside the scope of it's intended purpose. Driving a Jeep off road is dangerous too, but we mitigate those dangers with experience and prudence. Hi-lift style jacks were designed to be used in multiple ways, and they do an extremely good job when you use them correctly!

I prefer to use my winch, toss the line over a tree branch and tie it to my back bumper and lift the entire jeep off the ground. Sounds and visualizes as silly huh? So does a high lift on the hood. 🤪

I carry a small floor jack and bottle jack with me. I’ve seen shattered teeth from A high lift jack. Off road the conditions never seem favorable for them for safe use. And on pavement, a bottle jack works perfect.

It seems like a person could just avoid jacking with their face right over the handle by simply turning away. In fact if you stand to the side of the handle with one hand on the handle (the one closest to the handle while facing the jack) and the other cupping the back of the beam at shoulder height, you can use your body weight to work the jack. Just like we used to do with an old school bumper jack. Duh...oh and tramp here too @lowranger but the hood is not a good place to store it. Hell I wouldn’t even put my bottle jack up there if I had one.\

They're quite noisy there and a pain to get on and off while making it easy to damage the body.

I've come across a couple of people in some sticky situations who were equipped with not much more than a hi-lift, and when they needed it most they couldn't get it off the hood.

Hi-lifts have their place, my experience in farming has shown me how useful they can be. With that said I wouldn't use one on my jeep, not when there are so many better options that won't damage me or my jeep as easily and that don't need a special bracket to pack.

Last edited:
I've seen a guy's broken arm and bleeding like a stuck pig from a broken winch cable. Doesn't mean it's not a good tool to have with you when things get rough.
Tools need to be in good operating condition. Cleaned & inspected regularly. They all have a time and place. No matter what some know it all on the internet may think.