Why are so many oppose to putting a jack on the hood?

Here’s the instructions for the factory jack

Wrangler
Park vehicle on a firm, level surface. Block tire diagonally opposite tire being changed. Place automatic transmission in Park, manual transmission in Reverse. Set parking brake. Position emergency jack under front or rear axle housing. Raise vehicle.

@DrDmoney yes,

However

From the Hi-lift instruction manual

1. Securely chock and stabilize the load to prevent it from rolling or shifting as you lift it (see General Safety: Chock and Block).
2. Place the jack’s base plate securely on a firm, level, and dry surface with the steel standard bar pointing straight up.

I seriously doubt any jack is advertised as being able to safely function on anything else than a firm and level surface, with the exception maybe being an exhaust jack.

Funny how anytime anyone says hi-lift jack the thread is immediately derailed into a hi-lift debate.😆

Last edited:
Nowhere in the HiLift jacking instructions does it say pretend you’re Gary Busey rowing a fucking Viking ship. Hell if I saw someone doing that I would take the handle and beat them with it. I think I see a pattern here with the inability to follow instructions.

They are good for a side pull . Jp magazine did a good article on them a while back ...showed a lot of uses ...lifting the vehicle wasn’t one of them.

The problem is they appear to be ideal as a jack for lifted vehicle, but they aren’t as ideal as they appear ...at the same time anything that can move a vehicle with human power could be handy . But probably not at the mall .

Reactions: Airjunky
They are good for a side pull . Jp magazine did a good article on them a while back ...showed a lot of uses ...lifting the vehicle wasn’t one of them.

The problem is they appear to be ideal as a jack for lifted vehicle, but they aren’t as ideal as they appear ...at the same time anything that can move a vehicle with human power could be handy . But probably not at the mall .
I’ve lifted mine before and the ones before it, the trick is to be a competent person.

I’ve lifted mine before and the ones before it, the trick is to be a competent person.
I totally agree , and true with any jack . There are situations I’d want mine , and times I’d rather use a traditional jack.

Most of the “dis” on them is the macho “ I need this , a snorkel , and hand grenades taped to the roll bar”machismo everyone hates on.

Reactions: chad and reddvltj
I totally agree , and true with any jack . There are situations I’d want mine , and times I’d rather use a traditional jack.

Most of the “dis” on them is the macho “ I need this , a snorkel , and hand grenades taped to the roll bar”machismo everyone hates on.
That seems like an insecurity issue.

Reactions: chad and reddvltj

Either way if I put my jack on the hood I probably couldn't get it back off without beating the hood up.

Reactions: reddvltj
It seems like a person could just avoid jacking with their face right over the handle by simply turning away. In fact if you stand to the side of the handle with one hand on the handle (the one closest to the handle while facing the jack) and the other cupping the back of the beam at shoulder height, you can use your body weight to work the jack. Just like we used to do with an old school bumper jack. Duh...oh and tramp here too @lowranger but the hood is not a good place to store it. Hell I wouldn’t even put my bottle jack up there if I had one.\
And there is a reason cars no longer come with bumper jacks. It's called liability.

My Jeep came with one when I bought it. I still have it, I just don't take it with me. The reality of it is, it is hard to use safely off road, and not very useful for tire changes or recovery where I go wheeling.

You equip your vehicle as you require it for that drive.

I'm not on trails everyday. I have a job and life. This job's destination is on constructed roads. My BFG 32x11.50s do not tend to puncture in such conditions. Apart from the extra drag, weight and looking like it will catapult onto God-Fearing folks in Mazdas 3s and Toyota Corollas, as well as the "knob" image that it projects, I don't tend to carry it.

Whenever I see anyone pulling out a Hi-Lift jack to use, i'm torn between helping or standing back with my phone in hand to record it.

In a front end collision that jack is a projectile coming right toward your face.

Kindly ignore the above comment. It comes from a grizzled old bastard who has been rode hard and put away wet too many times. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Issac Newton disagrees! :)
He strongly disagrees. In fact, as a partner in Tough Stuff Products who made one of the first if not the first hood specific mounts for the Hi Lift, they were the number one selling product for many years. Thousands of them and there was not a single reported incident of them flying off the hood any direction for any unintentional reason.

Like all things being intentionally restrained including ourselves in the seats, as long as the restraint system is stronger than the forces that act on the object being restrained, it tends to stay put. After all, it isn't like the owners stole their wife's ponytail scrunchie and used a couple of them to hold the jack to the hood.

I don't get the attraction, but that doesn't mean it can't be done safely.