Why can't we conceal carry on a military installation?

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Here's one to piggy back off the other CC thread: Why in the world are we (those that work on a military installation) not allowed to carry?

https://apnews.com/1102076110d04018176b4f7f12017347
The shooting at NAS Pensacola yesterday is I think the 3rd such case in the last several weeks? For the life of me I can't think of a rational reason for this restriction... It's not as though everyone is searched at the front gate for a weapon. Taking a gun (illegally) onto a military installation is the easiest thing in the world, of my 15+ years of working on various bases my car has been randomly searched once. Hell, if I had a straight up desk job I'd say fuck it and carry every day anyway; I know more than a few that do. But, I'm not always at a desk, some days I'm climbing over planes, getting in and out of cockpits, if I ever printed or had my shirt pull up I'd be walked out, fired, and my clearances would be up in smoke. Goodbye career. Meanwhile if some asshole wants to stroll his pistol unchecked through the front gate and let off rounds in misguided anger we're all just sitting here ripe for the picking until SecFo shows up 15 minutes later. It's a fucking joke that the biggest "gun free zone" around here is a gigantic military base.

Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
Anecdote: The youngest daughter was a Captain in First Group up at Lewis - McCord in Washington. They were hosting some German (IIRC) officers for some function that included a pistol marksmanship competition. These officers were aghast that officers and senior noncoms were not REQUIRED to carry a sidearm at all times while in uniform.

WTF, the military's JOB is to be proficient with and carry weapons.

Just don't understand.

Having sat at the gun range as a safety officer, I can tell you not everyone in the military should be carrying.

but I agree. The gun free zone is stupid.

I personally think it has to do with trying to prevent any full metal jacket wannabes

Yeah, well not EVERYONE has to carry. Those that are willing to sign on the dotted line that they are willing to accept the responsibility for whatever may happen as a consequence of the weapon they carry should be allowed to have one on them while at work. I just think the fact that I'm disarmed at the gate is insane when there is no real "security" provided on these installations.

I would love to CCW. Depends on Wing king/queen regarding weapons on base. I know that Hurlburt allows concealed weapons but must be put in the glove box of vehicle.

Having sat at the gun range as a safety officer, I can tell you not everyone in the military should be carrying.

but I agree. The gun free zone is stupid.

I personally think it has to do with trying to prevent any full metal jacket wannabes
Totally agree ↑. The military has always attracted a predictable percentage of section 8 head cases. Always. I'm sure General Washington had his share. I am a vet from a family of vets, not badmouthing those in uniform, just speaking from direct experience. There are many in uniform that would be terrified that some of their brethren were carrying. Like any other government employment, being a whack job does not necessarily get you fired. If the military was less PC and could immediately fire the noticeably unstable, they should be allowed to carry. Don't assume combat made normal people unstable. Many fobbits who have never been outside the wire have been unstable since the cradle. Only a small percentage of the deployed warfighters actually go outside the wire. Probably less than 10%. Gun free zones are stupid. Even more stupid is it is extremely difficult for the military to police their own ranks.

Yeah, well not EVERYONE has to carry. Those that are willing to sign on the dotted line that they are willing to accept the responsibility for whatever may happen as a consequence of the weapon they carry should be allowed to have one on them while at work. I just think the fact that I'm disarmed at the gate is insane when there is no real "security" provided on these installations.

fully agree. Not everyone should.
When I was stationed inUtah back in 2000.
There was a columbine wannabe at the mall in SLC.
Heavily armed. Wanted to go on a shooting spree get made famous like those two kids from the high school.

he was taken down by a CCP carrying civilian.
I don’t think that news even left the state. Because it showed what a responsible gun owner can do.

Gun free zone = free to commit crime zone

it’s baloney on a military base. I was near when the Ft Hood shooting happened. Sucks for everyone else except the criminal.

We're authorized to CCW her at Seymour Johnson AFB, NC. Partly due to the areas surrounding the base and partly due to our Wing Commander's innovative, common sense approach. It's not a complete victory as we are still required to secure weapons in locked compartments inside the vehicle while parked on base. At least they are somewhat accessible and we can carry "on person" in and out of the gate; it's a solid first step.

I can not speak of other bases. But my base in Phoenix allows anyone with a valid CCW and who has received the required briefing to carry their weapons.

Now a caveat to this.... there are still places we can not take them. IE flightline, commanders building, any classified room.

We aslo will receive emails that we are not allowed to have them if they are doing active shooter training. Or Sim round training.

We are a small base. It is easy to control the fire arms.

On bases like NAS Pensacola 75+% of the people on that base have only been in the military since breakfast. It is a Major navy aviation training base. For both pilots and maintenance personnel. The rules would have to be 200+ pages to figure out who is allowed and who isn't. Considering it has Navy, Airforce, and Marines.

Reactions: Bruski
Here's one to piggy back off the other CC thread: Why in the world are we (those that work on a military installation) not allowed to carry?

https://apnews.com/1102076110d04018176b4f7f12017347
The shooting at NAS Pensacola yesterday is I think the 3rd such case in the last several weeks? For the life of me I can't think of a rational reason for this restriction... It's not as though everyone is searched at the front gate for a weapon. Taking a gun (illegally) onto a military installation is the easiest thing in the world, of my 15+ years of working on various bases my car has been randomly searched once. Hell, if I had a straight up desk job I'd say fuck it and carry every day anyway; I know more than a few that do. But, I'm not always at a desk, some days I'm climbing over planes, getting in and out of cockpits, if I ever printed or had my shirt pull up I'd be walked out, fired, and my clearances would be up in smoke. Goodbye career. Meanwhile if some asshole wants to stroll his pistol unchecked through the front gate and let off rounds in misguided anger we're all just sitting here ripe for the picking until SecFo shows up 15 minutes later. It's a fucking joke that the biggest "gun free zone" around here is a gigantic military base.
Where are you getting your info? You can carry on many bases. Air Force really leans forward with the lead on this. Several in the Carolinas are carry friendly.

Where are you getting your info? You can carry on many bases. Air Force really leans forward with the lead on this. Several in the Carolinas are carry friendly.

Personal experience. I have never worked on a conus installation that permits its workers to conceal carry while working on base.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...orized-conceal-carry-open-carry-base.html/amp

Base Commanders on AF installations have had the authority to allow concealed carry and open carry for quite some time. The AF recognizes that the only person who can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Yes, I remember that article. The USAF was simply “reminding” commanders that it was possible and up to their discretion. It still isn’t being implemented on any sort of scale and military installations continue to be gigantic gun-free zones and the rules vary widely from base to base because there isn’t any coherent policy.

Yes, I remember that article. The USAF was simply “reminding” commanders that it was possible and up to their discretion. It still isn’t being implemented on any sort of scale and military installations continue to be gigantic gun-free zones and the rules vary widely from base to base because there isn’t any coherent policy.
And you will always have that. Wing King’s have the authority to “give and take.”
Im with you, less gun free zones.

Like @Boinked stated, more bases are taking the steps to get bases to a concealed carry status. A large number of bases are allowing CCW holders to carry on base. The AF bases in the Carolinas allow it. Thats a big step in the right direction. More people on bases need to advocate and be the voice of change/reason.