Why did you choose the winch you have?

I picked a super winch lp8500 because it was a cheap NIB on craigslist. I do plan on upgrading it someday. Its incredibly slow.

Just replaced a Warn XD9000I with a New Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S because I got the new winch for less than half price because it was a display model on the Warn stand for about six months. But it was taken off the stand put back in the original box and still carries a full Warranty so it was a a great deal. I was wanting a wireless set up so the xd 9000i was put on my car trailer and the Smittybuilt 10k X20 was sold.

I went with the Warn Zeon 10S Platinum
IP68 rated
Synthetic rope
Fast line speed
Powerful
wireless remote w/motor temp monitoring, vehicle battery monitoring, and can operate two 12v accessories
Convertible control pack (relocatable to under hood)
View attachment 144528View attachment 144529
Same reasons why I bought mine except I’ll add one.

Remote control of the clutch

Why ??

WARN, no other reason. When you need it you want the best.
I went with steel cable cuz I don't want to worry about abrasion. And I've used steel for 45 years.

IMG_0597.jpeg

Vr Evo 8000 just ordered. Wanted a budget winch but not to budget. I felt most comfortable with the warranty and service from Warn if needed. Pulled the trigger today on the winch and front no slip powertrax.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I tend to only use HF for stuff I expect to be disposable, but I went ahead and went with their Badlands Apex.

I'm not gonna be using this thing to pull my rig over rocks in Moab, most likely maybe pulling a downed tree off the road when I'm headed to where I'm hunting.

Figured I'd put the $ I save towards getting the drivetrain squared away. PO put a 3.5" lift on, but no sye and he tweaked the front axle tube on something. Doesn't affect driveability but it is chewing up inner axle seals.

If I was hardcore using this thing I'd probably spring for a warn though.

IMG_20200309_144438981_HDR.jpg

Reactions: diggerwolf
I wanted USA made, high quality, lowest price and lightweight. Those goals drove me to Warn M-8000. It's the lowest priced USA made winch from Warn. They have a solid reputation. It's not overkill for an LJ (minimum weight needed) and i went synthetic line to save weight also.

I have an older than my Jeep Warn HS9500I that they don’t make anymore. I wanted it because a few friends had it and it’s super fast. So when I started looking I had a friend of mine that had one he wanted to sell so he could buy his GF a wedding ring, so $600 later I picked it up. That friend had originally bought it from another one of our friends dad who had sold his Jeep so he gave me a winch plate he had made for it to work on a stock bumper. 16 years later I still have the winch and it still pulls awesome, the only thing I’ve had to do to it was pull the case off to grease the free spool gear and I only had to do that this year.

I have an older than my Jeep Warn HS9500I that they don’t make anymore. I wanted it because a few friends had it and it’s super fast. So when I started looking I had a friend of mine that had one he wanted to sell so he could buy his GF a wedding ring, so $600 later I picked it up. That friend had originally bought it from another one of our friends dad who had sold his Jeep so he gave me a winch plate he had made for it to work on a stock bumper. 16 years later I still have the winch and it still pulls awesome, the only thing I’ve had to do to it was pull the case off to grease the free spool gear and I only had to do that this year.
Friend still married?

I use Warn. Warn supports their products. They support us in the offroad world. Many times I have sent something in for repair while fully expecting to pay for the repair and it was repaired and returned no charge. Oddly, a few of those were things I was doing as a surprise for a buddy like refurbishing their winch. Sent it in with what I was doing and why, comes back no charge. I don't use them because I want to abuse that generous warranty, but any time I have tried to pay for something stupid we did and gave them full disclosure of, they still took care of us.

To me, Warn is not a status symbol. It is a symbol of a great company that has been around for a long time, makes products that are around for a long time, and goes above and beyond to take care of their customers.

That has a value to me that is far greater than what most companies deliver today. I also know that is the exact reason that folks will NOT purchase their winches because to them it is more important to say Warn sucks, than get something with a proven reputation in both product and support. The "anything but" crowd always fascinates me.

To add to the Warn quality, a number of years back I had gotten a contract to do the induction hardening of one of the bigger (much, much bigger) planetary gears for some industrial winch they make. To me the part was nothing special, similar to a number of parts I have run many times. Well they sent a few engineers out to certify me and watch me do everything, I mean every little thing to the machine just to setup for this part. Took a bunch of notes, gave me some helpful tips (rare I would get helpful tips, but there’s were) then took a few of the gears to have their QA inspect.
Again, to me this part was nothing “special” or out of the ordinary. But I was impressed with the time they took to ensure they were going to put out a quality product. Most customers would have just let me do my thing, and my own tests. (I’m picky and very thorough)

I bought my M8000s because Wranglertjforum told me to. 😁

Haha, almost this. Didn’t want to pay $700 so did some research, read reviews and went with superwinch tiger shark “fist” 9500S. Have used it a number of times and it has done what it’s supposed to.

My Jeep came with an M8000 on it. It was old and beat up with steel cable, but I've been restoring it and Warn has been incredibly helpful. The sliding ring gear had seized to the housing preventing use of the free spool clutch. When I bought a new housing and went to install it, it cracked around one of the small 10-24 screw holes. Called Warn and they shipped a new one out to me free of charge the next day. The crack happened under light torque from a 1/4" drive and I believe it was due to a casting defect in the area.

Because of this experience, and everything else I've head about Warn, they're the only winch I'll ever own.

Reactions: taylormade73
Had a smittybilt x2o for years, served me well until I broke it due to complete user error, and overall negligence. Decided I wanted synthetic cable, but didn't want to pay the warn price so ended up buying a smittybilt xrc 10k synthetic winch.

I also know that is the exact reason that folks will NOT purchase their winches because to them it is more important to say Warn sucks, than get something with a proven reputation in both product and support.
You specifically have said Smittybilt winches suck. When asked directly what parts fail you are silent. No examples, no pictures, no videos. Nobody that I know of says Warn sucks, most of us just can't afford them so we get a Chinese alternative. Funny how you turned that around there. You can post whatever you want here but it ain't all gospel.