Why did you choose the winch you have?

You specifically have said Smittybilt winches suck. When asked directly what parts fail you are silent. No examples, no pictures, no videos. Nobody that I know of says Warn sucks, most of us just can't afford them so we get a Chinese alternative. Funny how you turned that around there. You can post whatever you want here but it ain't all gospel.
Smittybilt winches suck for reasons other than failure. A winch doesn't have to quit turning to suck. I don't like them because they are terribly slow like most of their Chinese counterparts. The Warn sucks is my sideways stab at the "anything but" crowd who by virtue of their choices other than Warn are implying that for some reason, they believe Warn sucks. Take it however you like.

I've also seen the same crap you have where folks will post up any second, third, fourth and fifthhand info about some Warn failure and use it to justify their shit purchase, thus the Warn Sucks sentiment.

But since you want to try and drag up shit and try to slap me around with it, albeit poorly, go dig up the rest of it. I have said that I would rather see anyone get a piece of shit winch and slap it on their rig than get nothing if that is the best they can do. One of the few times I will agree with the "something is better than nothing" crowd.

I base my replies around the sentiment and sense of something being said. If I get the sense of something and it strikes a chord in me, I reply based on that. It isn't gospel, it's how I feel about something. If that offends you, well, it sucks to be you and I promise you, there was nary an iota of thought given to the circumstance that you might even read something because I simply don't care how you feel about what I have to say.

That and I'd like to see examples of my silence where I also replied later in the thread. I don't go back to a lot of threads that I consider a waste of any further involvement so it could be as simple as I never went back to waste any more time on stupid shit.

But since you want to try and drag up shit and try to slap me around with it, albeit poorly, go dig up the rest of it. I have said that I would rather see anyone get a piece of shit winch and slap it on their rig than get nothing if that is the best they can do. One of the few times I will agree with the "something is better than nothing" crowd.
I appreciate this for what it's worth, I can't remember ever hearing/reading you put it that way.

I have a Warn xd9000i that I bought used and needing some tlc, a cable and a new motor for $100. I found a steel cable on marketplace for $50 and spent spent close to another $50 on paint parts and grease. That plus the $200 😳 motor and I have a Warn for $400 😎

Had I not found a used Warn I probably would have bought a smitty or a tiger(forgot who makes them)

Reactions: JMT
Went with an RFX 9500 winch with steel rope that I bought off a friend who thought he had ordered the synthetic line model. Paid $550CAD.
This came after I was out with a buddy and found an old box culvert. There's plenty of these things on the old deactivated logging roads and the thought of finding myself stuck alone without a self recovery method prompted the purchase.

66396964154__2850DE84-8871-4CA9-A542-042C4712D95D.jpg

Resized_20211117_145711.JPG
This hole ended up being a little over 5ft deep 😬
IMG_9877.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: MikeE024
A friend gave me a Quadratec Q series 12,000# winch because he didn’t like the synthetic line. Brand new still in the box. I couldn’t accept it for free so I gave him $100.

I’ve only used it once, it seems more than adequate also I like that it has the wireless/ wired remote.

Reactions: matkal
If you grew up in the PNW like I did it is a pretty good chance that Warn would be your winch of choice. Like other things in the choose two of the three (better, cheaper, faster) realm, winches it is line pull, line speed and amp draw. Warn for the most part choose line pull and line speed as the two and if you use your winch enough you will appreciate that choice more as time goes on. For me it is my custom 8274 because even the best winch Warn built was not enough.

I wanted to try some trails I might need a winch for, I had enough for a Smitty, so that's what I got. One of these days I'll try to rescue and rebuild a warn but the Smitty does for now. I did have to disassemble and regrease it because the grease they ship with is more adhesive than lubricant.

Reactions: Alex01
I had a SuperWinch TS 9500SR, but the line speed is slow. I found a Warn XD9000i on FB Marketplace for $250. With some help and parts from @Blackjack I got it all cleaned up, watertight, and functional. It’s way faster!

42E6AE9F-ACD4-4C61-BA53-0DCE7BECF0E3.jpeg