Why do I have contact marks on my tie rod?

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Have a gander below if you would. I was under the TJ the other day for different reasons (cleaning mud) and I noticed three contact marks on the tie rod. One is covered in grease, presumably from the pitman arm ball joint, then there are two more slightly outboard (two marks w/ surface rust). I haven't heard any noises or noticed odd symptoms, but I wonder what could be causing it? Would bump stop settings be a good place to start here?

The TJ has a 4" Procomp lift installed by the previous owner. The only work I have done since purchasing it is installing Rancho shocks to alleviate the previous bone-jarring and filling-loosening ride.

Thanks for looking

1555879347124.png

The greasy one might be drippings from above. Is it directly under it?

The other 2 look like there are lines in it, like vise grips may have been clamped onto it. If I’m looking at the right spots.

Reactions: tworley
The greasy one might be drippings from above. Is it directly under it?

The other 2 look like there are lines in it, like vise grips may have been clamped onto it. If I’m looking at the right spots.
You know what, now that you put that idea out it looks exactly like marks made by a pipe wrench or vise grips. Why would one clamp onto that particular area?

It could just be a spot where a branch or rock tapped it and it started rusting from there. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Is that the factory tie rod? What tire size are you running?

It could just be a spot where a branch or rock tapped it and it started rusting from there. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Is that the factory tie rod? What tire size are you running?

I don't know how to tell if it is factory. My best guess would be yes, this thing doesn't seem to be modified far beyond a 4" lift and transfer case drop. Tires are 33". Like I said, I haven't heard or felt anything unusual, just noticed it while I was under there and don't know enough about these things yet to determine whether or not I should care.