Why do I need a locker? I thought I had four-wheel drive!

Jerry Bransford

Retired to more relaxed pastures... bye.
Supporting Member
Here's something I wrote years ago that was recently revived on another forum... I thought it might be useful here too.
smile.gif

Q: Why do we need lockers, I thought I had four wheel drive!!??

A: We need lockers for tough terrain because the differentials installed into our front and rear axles have a characteristic that can turn our 4x4 Jeeps into 4x2 Jeeps in low traction situations.

A factory differential (sometimes called an "open differential") has a characteristic in that when one wheel loses traction, that wheel will start spinning ineffectively. You've seen that happen before, I'm sure. The bigger problem is that one spinning wheel on an axle causes both wheels to lose power to the point you can't move your Jeep... so even though the wheel on the other non-spinning side may have excellent traction, that non-spinning wheel won't receive enough power to keep you moving. Why? Because the differential screws up and only "sends power" to the wheel that is spinning. That is not technically totally accurate but it illustrates the problem very nicely, with a more technically accurate explanation as follows.

So the engine, via the drive shaft and differential, is seeing very little resistance from the axle with the spinning tire. So what? If the engine sees little resistance, it develops little torque. Low resistance to the engine, low developed torque. Lots of resistance to the engine causes it to develop lots of torque. Connect a dynamometer to an engine without a load on it and it'll show very little developed torque. Now put a brake of some kind against the engine output shaft (to add resistance) and the amount of torque developed by the engine will suddenly and dramatically rise. No resistance, very little developed torque... high resistance, a high amount of developed torque.

When a wheel starts spinning, the reduced resistance the engine sees from the axle causes the engine to dramatically reduce the torque the engine develops and sends to the axle. Here's what else is going on that is a key to understanding this whole thing... a stock factory differential ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS splits the torque it receives from the engine 50:50 to each wheel. Exactly 50-50, every time. So when one wheel is spinning and the engine torque decreases dramatically because of that, the OTHER wheel that still has good traction is seeing 50% of the greatly reduced torque. In fact, the torque sent to the axle is reduced so greatly that when the differential divides it 50-50, there is insufficient torque for the wheel with good traction to keep you moving. This means you're stuck!

So when you're driving on a dry paved road, both tires are receiving equal amounts of power and the high traction they're seeing from the dry road helps the engine to develop maximum torque. Both tires are pushing equally with lots of available torque. Now jack up a wheel (or lift it with a rock on a trail you just drove over) and you're not going to move even though the other tire is still on the ground. The tire in the air is spinning like crazy, causing the torque that axle receives from the engine to go right into the toilet.

So, when one tire on the axle is spinning, you don't have enough power for the other tire to keep you moving. For obvious reasons, all this is a huge problem for a 2wd vehicle (just one axle to drive you). It works exactly the same for a 4x4 but you have one more axle to assist in keeping you moving. But if one tire per axle has poor traction, you are stuck... since one spinning tire per axle is enough to reduce all developed torque from the engine down below the point the Jeep needs to move forward.

OK, we know what the problem is now, what's the fix? One, you could STEP ON THE BRAKES a little... which would stop the tire(s) from spinning so more torque would be developed, which should be enough for the OTHER tire that still has good traction to get you moving again. Stepping on the brakes forces the engine to work harder so it develops more torque which is sent to the wheels... so that gets more torque sent to the wheel (both actually) that still has traction so you may be able to get unstuck. Yes, stepping on the brakes (to a point best learned by practice) works rather well in these situations. Just about all drivers used to know that technique when few roads were paved... but it's just about a lost art now.

So what does a locker do? It mechanically LOCKS the left and right wheel together to overcome the above problems. It won't allow one wheel to start spinning while the other sits doing nothing. The left and right wheels are mechanically locked together.

Automatic lockers keep the left and right sides locked together except when you turn left or right, where it will automatically unlock the outside wheel during the turn until after the turn is completed at which time it locks up again. When the locker unlocks for a turn, the outside wheel is allowed to rotate faster than the inside wheel so it doesn't hop and skip during the turn. The inside wheel is driving during a turn with an automatic locker-equipped vehicle. The locker automatically locks again once both wheels are turning at the same RPMs again.

The problem with an automatic locker is that most are not very street friendly when installed in the rear axle. Because they keep the left and right wheels locked together except when forced to unlock for a turn, they can cause unusual handling characteristics like rear-end waggle, tire chirping, disconcerting loud bangs and snaps from the locker, and even sideways sliding down slippery off-camber slopes where they earned the nickname "low-side finder"... which can sometimes produce a high 'pucker-factor' at times. For offroading however, locker's negatives are far outweighed by their benefits in challenging conditions.

But in many Jeeps like the TJ, an automatic locker is fine when installed in the front axle. Since the front axle doesn't receive torque in 2wd, a front automatic locker unlocks easily enough for turns that you may not even notice its presence. Only in 4x4 is the front axle receiving torque which makes it harder for the locker to unlock for turns. About the only conditions where an automatic front locker would not be good in the type of 4x4 system a Wrangler TJ has would be on icy or snow-covered roads where you need 4x4. In 4x4, a front automatic locker would cause understeer (make the Jeep want to drive straight in a turn) which would not be good if the road was slick from snow or ice.

A manual locker is "open" (unlocked) until you actuate it. The ARB Air Locker and the cable-actuated Ox-Locker are examples of manual lockers. These are good because they remain unlocked until you choose to lock them. This eliminates the handling problems automatic lockers have on the streets.

By the way, a locker is installed inside the differential and it replaces the "spider" gears that make a differential work they way it does.

So some Jeepers add lockers in the rear, others add them to the front. I happen to think locking the rear axle first does the most good, but I have installed automatic lockers into both axles which works pretty darned well. But if your rear axle is the notoriously weak Dana 35c that comes stock on all Wranglers except the Rubicon and Unlimited, avoid installing a locker into it and install the locker into the front axle instead. Since the front axle rarely receives more than 50% of the torque that the rear axle does, it can usually handle a locker without problem with reasonably sized tires. But if your rear axle is the optional and far stronger Dana 44, by all means install a locker into it if your trails are tough enough to make a locker desirable.

So what's a limited slip differential? First, it is not the same as a locker. It is more like an automatic brake for the spinning tire... it performs like when you use the step-on-the-brakes technique so the spinning side gets coupled to the non-spinning side for more resistance so more engine torque is generated by the engine so the non-spinning tire receives more torque to help get you moving again. It operates as a brake somewhat by coupling the added resistance of the side with more traction/resistance to the side that has less traction/resistance.

A LSD depends on some tire spin to get it working so it's not as efficient for challenging terrain as a locker is. A true locker can deliver 100% of the available engine torque to just one side's tire so if one tire is up in the air, the tire on the ground will get 100% of the available torque. But once a tire on an LSD/Truetrac equipped axle starts spinning, like if it's up in the air, that significantly limits the power available to the other tire on the ground.

I hope this helps a little.
smile.gif

Nice writeup. As is usual with your posts, I knew some of it, but certainly not all of it, so I learned something today! Thank you.

Thank you for sharing this writeup with the community. I was wondering if you still share the same opinions as your previous self when you wrote:
But if your rear axle is the notoriously weak Dana 35c that comes stock on all Wranglers except the Rubicon and Unlimited, avoid installing a locker into it and install the locker into the front axle instead.
I'm sure with a stock Dana 35, this statement rings true, but do you think a built-up one would be sufficient enough to handle a locker?

Thank you for sharing this writeup with the community. I was wondering if you still share the same opinions as your previous self when you wrote: I'm sure with a stock Dana 35, this statement rings true, but do you think a built-up one would be sufficient enough to handle a locker?

That statement doesn’t apply if you convert it to a Super 35.

Reactions: Eric M
Thank you for sharing this writeup with the community. I was wondering if you still share the same opinions as your previous self when you wrote: I'm sure with a stock Dana 35, this statement rings true, but do you think a built-up one would be sufficient enough to handle a locker?
That article is limited to being about what lockers and LSDs are. Installing a locker into a Dana 35 would only be ok if its shafts were beefed up with a Super 35 kit.

Reactions: Eric M
great write up, I was trying to explain this to my friend earlier today, this is much Better then anything I was coming up with.

But but but I thought I had 4-wheel drive. :ROFLMAO: Awesome write-up Jerry! My TJ has a rear LSD (not sure how well it still works) and eventually plan on doing lockers. The problem is being mostly a street rig I'm saving up for select-able.

The Tru-Lok LSD in the Rubicon rear axle seems to work very well. I have been surprised at some of the places it has taken me through in just 2WD. Unlike the Trac-Lok LSD in non-Rubicons the Tru-Lok is gear based (no clutches) so it will “never” wear out.

That was the first time I read an article about lockers and I could understand what was being said... thank you Jerry!!

Reactions: billiebob
The Tru-Lok LSD in the Rubicon rear axle seems to work very well. I have been surprised at some of the places it has taken me through in just 2WD. Unlike the Trac-Lok LSD in non-Rubicons the Tru-Lok is gear based (no clutches) so it will “never” wear out.
I noticed the "Tru-Lok Front & Rear Axles" on the build sheet of a Rubicon that I'm eyeballing. I owned a new 1988 4.2 manual, and in 4wd low, the axles locked up tight, I think (it was 32 years ago). I wonder what that old YJ had? And how will I know if I find one while shopping now for used YJs?

I noticed the "Tru-Lok Front & Rear Axles" on the build sheet of a Rubicon that I'm eyeballing. I owned a new 1988 4.2 manual, and in 4wd low, the axles locked up tight, I think (it was 32 years ago). I wonder what that old YJ had? And how will I know if I find one while shopping now for used YJs?
if you didint bag e to flip a switch/lever to engage the lockers, and they didn’t “spin up” like a LSD. I would guess (and this is just a guess) that you had a lunchbox locker like the Aussie, unlike LSD’s these auto-lockers are locked when power is applied to them and don’t need time to spin up. That said there not great manners wise on the road.

if you didint bag e to flip a switch/lever to engage the lockers, and they didn’t “spin up” like a LSD. I would guess (and this is just a guess) that you had a lunchbox locker like the Aussie, unlike LSD’s these auto-lockers are locked when power is applied to them and don’t need time to spin up. That said there not great manners wise on the road.
I only recall that on dry pavement in 4wdL in was not able to turn without the shredding of rubber. I always thought of it as being locked down tight, this I thought I knew from moving from 4h to 4l when stuck in mud and how it lurched out. I can't find a history of lockers from that era.

I only recall that on dry pavement in 4wdL in was not able to turn without the shredding of rubber. I always thought of it as being locked down tight, this I thought I knew from moving from 4h to 4l when stuck in mud and how it lurched out. I can't find a history of lockers from that era.
Ya, that’s either a welded diff or a lunchbox locker, if you could turn if you took your foot of the gas, lunchbox, if not might be welded

there not very nice to live with on road, but they are killer when you hit the dirt.

I bought it new and it was not modified, so it was a lunchbox (source of this term??!!😃). Yeah, I only had it in 4wdL on dry pavement to get it out of 4wd, which I recall was not trivial.
Did all of the YJ have the lunch box?

I bought it new and it was not modified, so it was a lunchbox (source of this term??!!😃). Yeah, I only had it in 4wdL on dry pavement to get it out of 4wd, which I recall was not trivial.
Did all of the YJ have the lunch box?
Well now you have thrown a wrench in my theory, to quote car talk “why couldn’t you keep that Piece of info. to yourself”

if it wasn’t modded then I believe it would have open diffs, idk if they offered YJ’s with LSD’s. Deff didint offer them with lunchbox lockers. Maybe it was a dealer Installed or something?

as for where the term came from, when you do a lunchbox locker you replace your spider gears with the locker, but you keep your carrier or “lunchbox” your just changing what goes into the lunchbox as apposed to an LSD where you change the whole carrier.

• Haha
Reactions: DEValken
The bind or squealing you were feeling on pavement was most likely just inherent bind from the transfer case locking the front and rear axles together. The YJ just had open diffs if it was unmodified. YJ's never came from the factory with any kind of locker.

Jerry while I agree with premise of your article you lost me on the torque explanation. "So the engine, via the drive shaft and differential, is seeing very little resistance from the axle with the spinning tire. So what? If the engine sees little resistance, it develops little torque. Low resistance to the engine, low developed torque. Lots of resistance to the engine causes it to develop lots of torque. Connect a dynamometer to an engine without a load on it and it'll show very little developed torque. Now put a brake of some kind against the engine output shaft (to add resistance) and the amount of torque developed by the engine will suddenly and dramatically rise. No resistance, very little developed torque... high resistance, a high amount of developed torque." An engine dyno without load is effectively turned off so load cannot be recorded, thus the engine running on the dyno stand would developing torque the dyno just would not be recording that torque.

correct me if I am wrong.

Jerry while I agree with premise of your article you lost me on the torque explanation. "So the engine, via the drive shaft and differential, is seeing very little resistance from the axle with the spinning tire. So what? If the engine sees little resistance, it develops little torque. Low resistance to the engine, low developed torque. Lots of resistance to the engine causes it to develop lots of torque. Connect a dynamometer to an engine without a load on it and it'll show very little developed torque. Now put a brake of some kind against the engine output shaft (to add resistance) and the amount of torque developed by the engine will suddenly and dramatically rise. No resistance, very little developed torque... high resistance, a high amount of developed torque." An engine dyno without load is effectively turned off so load cannot be recorded, thus the engine running on the dyno stand would developing torque the dyno just would not be recording that torque.

correct me if I am wrong.

Edit I misunderstood your comment so my comment was irrelevant....tried to delete this but couldnt.

Last edited:
Are there any opinions on if front or rear is best if only adding one locker? I already have a 8.8 lsd rear....certainly not a locker but better than open. Given that, would front be best, or should I replace my rear stock ford lsd with a full locker? I read a Truetrac do pretty well if you use the ebrake to give resistance. Any opinions on that? I thought about grabbing one of those since they are somewhat inexpensive. Also Ive heard I can add a extra friction disk for my stock 8.8 and get it to be stronger.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Trying not to spend a fortune. I need it to be good on the street rain, snow, ice....I've been leaning towards either a ox locker or the truetrac lsd.

My front is a HP30. Also, 4:56 gears and 32rh.

Last edited:
Are there any opinions on if front or rear is best if only adding one locker? I already have a 8.8 lsd rear....certainly not a locker but better than open. Given that, would front be best, or should I replace my rear stock ford lsd with a full locker? I read a Truetrac do pretty well if you use the ebrake to give resistance. Any opinions on that? I thought about grabbing one of those since they are somewhat inexpensive. Also Ive heard I can add a extra friction disk for my stock 8.8 and get it to be stronger.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Trying not to spend a fortune. I need it to be good on the street rain, snow, ice....I've been leaning towards either a ox locker or the truetrac lsd.

My front is a HP30. Also, 4:56 gears and 32rh.
There is conflicting opinions here, a lot of people will tell you to get a rear locker cause that’s more predictable and will push you through things.

however alot of people will tell you to get a front because those are the wheels that come in Contact with the Obstical first and often loose traction

for you with a rear lsd. I would probably get a front locker first, I think that would give you the most noticeable gains.