Why do JK drivers never wave?

I think we've touched on this topic before. It's because the JK and JKU have a much broader audience appeal than the earlier Wranglers which were mostly just billed as off-road vehicles (or fun "toys"). The JKU with the introduction of 4 doors, made the Jeep Wrangler appeal to a mass audience as something more than an "off-road" vehicle. It appealed to many as an SUV replacement.

Because of that, you'll find that there's a goof majority (note, not all, just most) of JK and JKU drivers that are merely driving them because they're a stylish replacement for their otherwise boring SUV.

I'm not saying JKs suck at all (they don't). I'm simply saying that when you look at the huge demographic that they appeal to, it's easy to see why most people wouldn't bother waving. When you see someone driving a TJ, YJ, or CJ, you can pretty much bet whoever owns it is the typical, off-road type Jeep owner.

When you see someone driving a TJ, YJ, or CJ, you can pretty much bet whoever owns it is the typical, off-road type Jeep owner.

Maybe up in the North West but down here I see many unmolested TJ's CJ's YJ's that have never been off road. I drive by a very nice copper color TJ every day on my way to work and back home. It is parked at a restaurant so I would guess the owner works there. It doest not have any signs of any off road use at all.
Now on my vacation road trips out of the state almost all Jeeps (CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, etc...) wave no matter if they are stock or modified.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
It may be a regional / geographic thing as well. Once you get outside the metropolitan areas, the frequency of waves goes up. And again, once outside of commute distance everyone waves. At least two fingers off the steering wheel. If it's someone you know there's an even money chance that you'll stop and chat. When you get into the back country, almost every back country denizen stops and chats. Especially with rangers, deputies and foresters. That's how valid news gets around.

If we have time my daughters and I play 'do you think they will wave back'...TJ's and older normally do but I'd say most JK's don't....got a wave from a guy in a Kia the other day ( maybe he drives his TJ on the weekends and forgot he's in his DD...and I think we've all done that) lol

Reactions: KCsTJ and StG58
I have anxiety every time I see a Jeep coming. Wave or not wave? Same on my Harley.
Have you sought medical help for the 'wave anxiety' ..... ?
This could be a very debilitating condition if left un-checked.
Perhaps a mask or disguise might give you some relief.
A bobble-head type hand may also help. They are always waving.
Get well soon ..... :picknose:

I’m not sure about you all but here in Salt Lake it seems like every other vehicle is a JK and nobody waves. Utah is a very different place. Not as friendly it seems like at times. I think the 4 doors have replaced the minivans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kiwi TJ