Why do my front control arms rotate after driving?

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Is this of any consequence? I line them up but after driving for a bit they always end up rotated. Is something out of alignment? The jam nuts are tight & both ends of the arms are lined up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

While we are on this, do they bang side to side ? For instance in 4L while factory locked... I heard some banging in my undercarriage

I hear a thunk noise coming from my rear arms when I launch it hard or decel using the engine from higher rpms. I asked Currie and they sent me what are basically body grommets that fit over either side of the JJ ball ends. They said they are for re-centering the arms for JK people that need them to look pretty (their words, not mine, but lol). They work well for centering, but more importantly for me they quieted down the noise considerably.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
While we are on this, do they bang side to side ? For instance in 4L while factory locked... I heard some banging in my undercarriage
I don't hear anything unusual at all driving on the road or wheeling. Just noticed they always manage to end up turned.

Mine are freshly rebuilt and it made them a lot less likely to smack around, but I can still make it happen if I try hard enough. Maybe something else is making the noise, but I doubt it.

Mine are freshly rebuilt and it made them a lot less likely to smack around, but I can still make it happen if I try hard enough. Maybe something else is making the noise, but I doubt it.
I'm very skeptical that rotation of the arms is making the noise. If you put a wrench on one of the jam nuts and turn the arm, you'll see that the rubber you see inside the hole in the washer has to be squished to allow the barrel of the joint touch the inside of the mount. It would be nearly impossible for any suspension effect to spin the arm that hard.

That makes sense, thanks for the input. I'll keep hunting.

The grommet thing still stands for anybody anal about having centered JJ's. Not a concern for me, but it was the original subject of the thread. Currie wanted $2.25 a pop IIRC.