Why do people have to be complete a-holes?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I have a nice Jeep I'm trying to sell, at a very decent price. After spending hours on the phone, with multiple people, explaining what's been done and that I'm firm on my price, we then set up a meeting time and place.

...hole #1
Guy asks me to meet him at a time that was very inconvenient to me, but I went anyway, because he swore this was the Jeep he had been looking for and he was ready to buy. After waiting for 20 minutes, he doesn't show. I text him, then call him, but no response. A couple hours later I get a text that he changed mind, "because an unexpected bill came up". In the first place, he shouldn't be buying a freaking Jeep if he can't afford it. Second, even if his story was real, have the decency to let me know!

...hole #2
We agree to meet, and this one shows up on time. However, he immediately starts pointing out very minor things that I had already gone over with him on the phone. Then, he proceeds to tell me my Jeep is a "piece of shit" and offers me $7K less, than my asking price. Anyone that has ever seen my Jeep would never use those three words to describe it. I politely tell him no and that we're done conversing. Then he starts getting belligerent and begins threatening me. I walk away with him continuing to hurl threats.

My apologies for venting, but this kind of behavior just points out the consequences of living in a "me" driven society. It's sickening!

What kind of threats does someone use when a buyer doesn't accept their insulting offer of $7,000 less than asking price?

Sounds like the guy was just mad he is poor and can't afford it. I've looked at a lot of vehicles/equipment that DID actually turn out to be way worse than the pictures, and I still have never said that to the buyer, much less call it a piece of shit. Just indicated I appreciated their time but would not be purchasing.

Reactions: JLLJ and Alex01
I set times I am available to sell things. Can't make the time? Not that interested. I set where the meet will take place. Can't get there!! Too bad, got a line up to sell this thing. I was once trying to sell a piano. Same old story love it. I'll be there. Showed up close to an hour late with cash in hand. "Sorry I won't sell you the piano, you wasted my time." Getting cranky or smart? Probably cranky....

This is the main reason I don't sell any of my part takeoffs and just give them away for really good deals on the forum. I've tried selling stuff in the past and it is just a pain in the ass.

I've never understood what makes people on craigslist such idiots. I know no-one in real life that acts the way that the idiots trying to buy stuff online do. Pretty shocking.

This is the main reason I don't sell any of my part takeoffs and just give them away for really good deals on the forum. I've tried selling stuff in the past and it is just a pain in the ass.

I've never understood what makes people on craigslist such idiots. I know no-one in real life that acts the way that the idiots trying to buy stuff online do. Pretty shocking.

I don't use craigslist anymore, just Facebook marketplace. Seems Craigslist is only used by people who are even more of a lowlife than those who use Facebook. I've had people say they were going to show up but didn't, so I just went to the next person in line. The first person came 2 hours later and I said too bad, you stated a time, you never came, so the next person in line got it.

Dealing with people like these discourage me from ever wanting to sell vehicles privately. I already get annoyed selling smaller items on FB marketplace. Whenever I buy, I try to be considerate and courteous to the seller and make fair offers and don’t waste their time or mine.

I don't use craigslist anymore, just Facebook marketplace. Seems Craigslist is only used by people who are even more of a lowlife than those who use Facebook.
This seems to be the case. I used to have really good experiences with Craigslist. However, since they started making people pay for vehicle listings, the good to bad people ratio has gone in the wrong direction!

Reactions: Blondie70
What kind of threats does someone use when a buyer doesn't accept their insulting offer of $7,000 less than asking price?

Sounds like the guy was just mad he is poor and can't afford it. I've looked at a lot of vehicles/equipment that DID actually turn out to be way worse than the pictures, and I still have never said that to the buyer, much less call it a piece of shit. Just indicated I appreciated their time but would not be purchasing.
I honestly think this guy wasn't all there. It's also why I never let someone come to my house, unless I know them.

Rich, that sucks to hear. Some people just don't get it. Hang in there. The right buyer will show up.
Much appreciated. As you're aware, existing family obligations means I have little time for this nonsense. I'm going to pull the listing from Craigslist and look for other places to list it.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Much appreciated. As you're aware, existing family obligations means I have little time for this nonsense. I'm going to pull the listing from Craigslist and look for other places to list it.
Makes sense. You keep it to the Jeep forums and you should have better luck then on CL.

I've sold more vehicles than I care to remember, and I've had so many experiences that parallel yours that it disgusts me. People are assholes, no doubt about it. I've found that for every 10 people interested in a vehicle, only one of them will be legit. I've become pretty damn good at picking out the bad apples too before we even meet up.

She sold me her hitch cargo frames. No questions asked, I paid full.

1603303939930.png

Sold a slightly, like in new condition, tonneau cover a while back. One of the first offers was 1/3rd of asking price. Told them I’d rather throw it away before I’d sell for that.

plus, I put the actual Amazon page in showing what vehicle it fit. Probably had 20 people ask if it’d fit their vehicle, which it didn’t.

“Will your cover for a 13 Ford fit my 97 Chevy?” FFS

I've had 'decent' luck with craigslist selling small items. I don't know where/how I'd sell a vehicle - I won't set foot on facebook for any reason, but I have my doubts about using craigslist for such things.

Reactions: 5632
I've had 'decent' luck with craigslist selling small items. I don't know where/how I'd sell a vehicle - I won't set foot on facebook for any reason, but I have my doubts about using craigslist for such things.

Send a note in to the local newspaper classifieds section using your home phone.

And my favorite:

“Is it still available?”
“Yes”
*crickets*
Unless it's FB Marketplace in which case I blame Facebook's terrible placement of those prefilled questions. I've accidentally hit those too on stuff I have no interest in buying... although I'll usually respond back with a "my bad. hit the wrong button".

I've had decent luck both buying and selling on FB Marketplace but assholes exist on every site. I've also had solid hits through AutoTrader and Cars.com. Not sure if it's in your area but NextDoor is a solid place to target your local area if you can survive the constant rants from your neighbors.

Also, sign up for a Google Voice phone number that forwards to your real number and create a new email address. That way you can just delete everything once you sell and don't get constant follow ups/spam.