Why do people have to be complete a-holes?

This is the main reason I don't sell any of my part takeoffs and just give them away for really good deals on the forum. I've tried selling stuff in the past and it is just a pain in the ass.
Same. I've parted out a lot of bikes & vehicles, but anymore I just don't want to deal with it. I usually take the path of least resistance which means either listing it stupid cheap / free just to get it out of my hair or getting them to folks on forums who need them. It's not worth the hassle to me for a few extra bucks.

Sold a slightly, like in new condition, tonneau cover a while back. One of the first offers was 1/3rd of asking price. Told them I’d rather throw it away before I’d sell for that.

plus, I put the actual Amazon page in showing what vehicle it fit. Probably had 20 people ask if it’d fit their vehicle, which it didn’t.

“Will your cover for a 13 Ford fit my 97 Chevy?” FFS
For real. I was selling some AR wheels over the summer, posted a pic, the size, the offset, the bolt pattern.

"Will this fit my Honda Civic"
"Will this fit my dad's El Camino"
"Can I buy just one?"

One dude showed up with a piece of cardboard with hand-drawn circles on it in a pattern not even close to a hub saying he's "pretty sure it'll fit, will you take $50 for all five?"

Told them I’d rather throw it away before I’d sell for that.
I've used a variation of that a fair bit. No fucktard, I will not take 1/3 of asking. I will however, be glad to set it on fire and watch it burn before I sell it for less than it is worth. And no, I decide what it is worth, not you.

Ive sold tons of stuff on ebay and cl. Including cars. Never had a problem. Except one.

Got ripped off on some jeep doors. And stupidly paid with paypal friends and family. You know what kind of recourse u get with friends and family? Nada. Zilch. Nothing. Lesson learned.

But ive also purchased cars from out of state. With no problem. But i also had them checked out at a local to them mechanic too.

Ive also sold alot in person via cl. But im also 6'3" 250 and look like i might have just been paroled. Lol. So theres that.

I dont mind a friendly reasonable offer. But ive never been lowballed in person.

Imho used car lots are the worst for this type of behavior. Cant tell u how many times ive shown up to look at a specific car. Only to be told it just sold. But they want to show me some pos theyre trying to offload. In that case i say nothing. I dont answer them or speak to them. I just walk away.

I HATE selling on FB marketplace. My experience has generally been worse there than craigslist when it comes to people messaging and then ghosting me after I respond, people mad that they can't afford it, etc. Most recent example is I put my 2 year old Chinese JW Speaker ripoff headlights up a couple weeks ago for $50. At the time I bought them, they were $115, I think now they might be $90 on Amazon. Some dude decides to make a personal crusade to hammer me for my price. Claiming that's what they cost new and then giving an example of some other cheap chinese lights that are generally regarded as garbage. Never would let up, so I blocked him. Sold them the next afternoon for asking price to a guy that drove 30 miles for them, and only needed one 'cause he was buying for his motorcycle. 6 people were behind him in line if he didn't come through. Seems like my pricing was pretty reasonable.

Worst craigslist experience I recall was selling a rug that my ex wife picked out and new wife didn't like. If you've bought rugs, you know they're one of those things that cost more than they should. I think this one was in the $250 neighborhood new. I put it on CL for $100 I think. It was in like new condition being that it was in a dining room of a 20-something couple that had no use for a dining room. Guy wants me to take $80. Ok, whatever. Then he wants me to deliver it 30 miles away; don't think so. I offer to meet him at a convenient location 10 miles from me that was close to a dinner spot I was craving, which he accepts. Then asks if it'll fit in a Mustang. I re-state the shortest dimension of the rug which was clearly listed in the ad and told him he'll have to measure. After all that, we meet up, he pays me and loads the rolled up rug into his convertible Mustang running over the center console and sticking out over the trunk, and then informs me that I was the most difficult person he's ever dealt with buying something on craigslist.

...I re-state the shortest dimension of the rug which was clearly listed in the ad...
People don't read. My wife made arrangements for me to pick up a pair of "Jeep" branded grab handles. She told the guy TWICE that I'd be in a powder blue Mercedes, but couldn't get the guy to tell her what kind of car he was driving. So I show up, wait a half hour, no show. Call my wife and told her that I give up. Sure enough, I get 2 blocks away, and she calls me and tells me the guy is "almost there". Fine, I turn around and go back to the meetup spot. A car pulls in, one of many that I think "might" be the guy - remember, he wouldn't tell us what he was driving. Then my phone rings again, its my wife saying he's in a such and such colored whatchamacallit, and doesn't know where you are! Whatever. I got the handles, paid him his money, and came home slightly annoyed...

Reactions: Blondie70
I HATE selling on FB marketplace. My experience has generally been worse there than craigslist when it comes to people messaging and then ghosting me after I respond, people mad that they can't afford it, etc. Most recent example is I put my 2 year old Chinese JW Speaker ripoff headlights up a couple weeks ago for $50. At the time I bought them, they were $115, I think now they might be $90 on Amazon. Some dude decides to make a personal crusade to hammer me for my price. Claiming that's what they cost new and then giving an example of some other cheap chinese lights that are generally regarded as garbage. Never would let up, so I blocked him. Sold them the next afternoon for asking price to a guy that drove 30 miles for them, and only needed one 'cause he was buying for his motorcycle. 6 people were behind him in line if he didn't come through. Seems like my pricing was pretty reasonable.

Worst craigslist experience I recall was selling a rug that my ex wife picked out and new wife didn't like. If you've bought rugs, you know they're one of those things that cost more than they should. I think this one was in the $250 neighborhood new. I put it on CL for $100 I think. It was in like new condition being that it was in a dining room of a 20-something couple that had no use for a dining room. Guy wants me to take $80. Ok, whatever. Then he wants me to deliver it 30 miles away; don't think so. I offer to meet him at a convenient location 10 miles from me that was close to a dinner spot I was craving, which he accepts. Then asks if it'll fit in a Mustang. I re-state the shortest dimension of the rug which was clearly listed in the ad and told him he'll have to measure. After all that, we meet up, he pays me and loads the rolled up rug into his convertible Mustang running over the center console and sticking out over the trunk, and then informs me that I was the most difficult person he's ever dealt with buying something on craigslist.
That rug really tied his front room together though. It probably added just the right amount of weight to his stang for mowing over crowds of people. It's a mustang thing.

1603322632048.jpeg

I've been using the OfferUp app for some good results. I just sold my 97 TJ SE on Sunday. It was listed for 4 days, I had 570 views, 20 text conversations, 5 unseen lowball offers, 2 local 4 sale sign walkups, and the third person bought it with cash. No Drama!
2 weeks ago, I offered a Jeep grille overlay (sorry Chris), and I had a buyer in 7 minutes! Cash in hand in 4 hours.
I thought it would of been a lot more trouble to sell the 4 banger. It's gone

Someone please tell me why there are so many OLD ads on OfferUp? I've purchased things on that site, but I sure seem to see a LOT of ads that are 1 or even 2 years old!

My favorite is when the initial contact I get from the prospective buyer before they even see the item is "what is the lowest price you will take for it?".

I always reply the same way ... "Thank you for your interest but I'm not going to negotiate against myself". I have never received a follow-up to that response. 🖕

My favorite is when the initial contact I get from the prospective buyer before they even see the item is "what is the lowest price you will take for it?".

I always reply the same way ... "Thank you for your interest but I'm not going to negotiate against myself". I have never received a follow-up to that response. 🖕
I always say, take a look, and make me an offer!

Reactions: Apparition
I've used a variation of that a fair bit. No fucktard, I will not take 1/3 of asking. I will however, be glad to set it on fire and watch it burn before I sell it for less than it is worth. And no, I decide what it is worth, not you.
I have offered parts and accessories for free. The only catch is the recipient must pick them up otherwise I ask the recipient to cover shipping.

You would be amazed at the number of people that not only want it for free but also want me to pay to ship it to them.

Rich I’m in the process of selling a vehicle right now as well and it has been eventful to say the least. I’m not sure if it’s just bad timing right now or what. I laid out every problem with the vehicle, what it needs, what’s been replaced, reason for selling etc. Yet I’m still finding myself answering these same questions multiple times a day for people who end up never responding. I get daily offers of almost $4k off my asking price and had one guy, like you, offer me $7k less 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m finding Craigslist isn’t what it used to be. Even if you have to create a “fake” Facebook account, their Marketplace seems to be where everyone’s selling vehicles(everything really) these days.

You aren’t selling the LJ are you? 😕

Reactions: Irun
Good timing and good neighborhood may be a factor for good people and good buyers.
I sold a car from CL for my teenage niece and sold it overnight. location Glengarry Blvd., Canton, Michigan.

My brother is in the car sales business (sales mgr at a F*** dealership in NC).
He told me there are no used cars & the few they have are super expensive. I'd wager these super low ball douche bags are auctioneers or otherwise related to the car sales cartel.