Why do people think Jeeps are unreliable?

Honestly, I don’t hear “unreliable” much at all, but I would think most are referring to the JKs and their unfortunate power plants. Those don’t exactly have the best reputation.
A TJ with a 4.0 and 32RH is an exceptionally reliable vehicle.

In Australia where jeeps in general are considered "very" unreliable, in my opinion is due to the emission controls and electronics throwing CEL and going into limp mode more often than other makes, also the fuel consumption but in reality maintenance costs and use of non genuine parts plays a lot blame.

Probably from lack of maintenance from previous owner and a dishonest sale ad. And most people in general aren’t going to research or go over it thoroughly enough until after the purchase. Then the excitement wears off and the negativity begins.

Reactions: Fishtaco and Jack72
It's a 15 plus-year-old vehicle. If you don't keep up on the maintenance it will become an issue. Couple that with the fact that they are designed with offroad use in mind. Which adds in harder than normal use. Then top it off with the fact that most people modify these things more than a lot of vehicles out there. And it doesn't mean they have done a good job of the modifications. I don't find that my Jeep is any more undependable than any other vehicle I've owned with that type of age on it. However, I keep up on the maintenance so it doesn't snowball on me.

Chrysler (manufacturer of Jeep) vehicles are good, until they’re not. If you keep up with the maintenance of any older Chrysler, they’ll last forever for the most part. Start to neglect things, they quickly cause problems.

Things like Honda or GM will go forever. You could send a rod into orbit and they would still run. Chrysler not so much.

I have heard my whole life from different people “oh don’t buy brand xxxx they are unreliable and breakdown’.
well I have owned most of the brands someone told me were no good, but go figure with good maintenance and taking care of never have had any of issues stated and have put more miles on said cars, trucks, motorcycles then the experts on there “ realiable “

Reactions: Tob
I have heard my whole life from different people “oh don’t buy brand xxxx they are unreliable and breakdown’.
well I have owned most of the brands someone told me were no good, but go figure with good maintenance and taking care of never have had any of issues stated and have put more miles on said cars, trucks, motorcycles then the experts on there “ realiable “
Hell, I even owned a Yugo. Other than one loose alternator belt, I never had a problem with it and I like the way it drove/handled.

Reactions: TWiG01 and Scout734
Hell, I even owned a Yugo. Other than one loose alternator belt, I never had a problem with it and I like the way it drove/handled.

One of those little Yugos was blown off the Mackinac bridge in Michigan back in 1989!

When I was down there in 2k, they were in the midst of a lovefest with the nissan patrol. They were everywhere on the east coast.
I would love to own a Patrol, or a
Land cruiser Prado. Hell, even a GX460. All imports, but all awesome.

My mini Cooper S was the only vehicle that I can honestly say was measurably less reliable than any of the other 30 something vehicles I've owned. Most of what I've spent on the Jeeps has been upgrades, preventative, or undoing previous (or current lol) owner shenanigans. I think an ignition coil, a blower resistor and a whiny alternator bearing on my 99 TJ might be literally the only things I can't place in any of those categories. And they were on an 18 year old vehicle and 2 out of 3 were repairable on my schedule, rather than something that had to be immediately addressed, so I don't even get too upset about it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
It's a 15 plus-year-old vehicle. If you don't keep up on the maintenance it will become an issue. Couple that with the fact that they are designed with offroad use in mind. Which adds in harder than normal use. Then top it off with the fact that most people modify these things more than a lot of vehicles out there. And it doesn't mean they have done a good job of the modifications. I don't find that my Jeep is any more undependable than any other vehicle I've owned with that type of age on it. However, I keep up on the maintenance so it doesn't snowball on me.
I agree. People modify Jeeps more than any other vehicle brand, they abuse them more than any other vehicle brand, neglect maintenance, and then they turn around and call them unreliable when a U-joint breaks or when a 35 Dana axle cannot handle a 40" tire.