Why do people think Jeeps are unreliable?

I think quality has been an issue overall lately for Chrysler products and Jeep in particular seems to have been hit harder. Perception could be a contributing factor also. People are buying the 4-doors thinking they are getting the average crossover as far as handling and comfort goes...they get disappointed in the end.

Maybe competition from the Bronco will influence the quality dynamics of Jeep in a positive way if market share starts to erode. On a sidenote I've been seeing some of the Sport model Broncos on the road. Just based on looks they do not appear to be competiton to the Wrangler for off-road use

It could just be the P0344 code generating that stigma of unreliability???? My failed attempt at humor for the day....

Reactions: DropTopDon
Anything that isn't maintained properly has a good chance of being unreliable..one of the reason I have owned so many tjs is because I get bored with them because they are so reliable..I like a jeep to play hard to get

I agree. People modify Jeeps more than any other vehicle brand, they abuse them more than any other vehicle brand, neglect maintenance, and then they turn around and call them unreliable when a U-joint breaks or when a 35 Dana axle cannot handle a 40" tire.
Exactly, the entire Jeep platform premise was capability and reliability from day 1.

people put snorkels on them, let them ingest water, do endless crazy mess, run them in sand and mud, and neglect them rather that compensate with more care...then cry when they break.

we get square bread, round meat, sliced tomatoes, diced onions, make a sandwich, cut it diagonally then cry it falls apart.

Even dogs can start the day without caffeine and handle whatever life throws them better than humans, with a zero suicide rate to prove it.

I own a land rover defender and it was in the shop a week after owning it. I know what unreliable is but keep buying them. Just got a jeep TJ with 140,000 miles and would never by a landrover with that many miles. I think certain model jeeps give all jeeps a bad rap.

Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot come to mind. These were not good vehicles by any stretch of the imagination. Jeep Renegade that is made in Italy on a FIAT platform also has questionable quality/reliability. But there are rotten eggs in any lineup and I wouldn't say that Jeep is any worse.

Some people don't understand the reliability of car is direct function of maintenance. In other words, the jeep is as reliable as the maintenance it gets.