Why do some people not carry Hi-Lift jacks?

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
I'm reading through some threads and I see the old school guys on here don't carry Hi Lift jacks. Why? How do you change your tire on the trail if you get a flat?

I don't carry one either... there's absolutely no need for it. I understand most people want it as a "look at me" mod, but I simply see no point.

The stock bottle jack is undisputedly safer for changing wheels up to 35", and in addition, a winch and the proper recovery gear will get you out of just about any situation you can get yourself into much better (and usually safer) than a hi-lift jack can.

The majority of people I know around here don't use them either, as there's just no need. Like I said, good winch, proper technique, and the factory jack (for changing wheels up to 35") is all you need.

Now I understand that there will always be those few who argue for the sake of the hi-lift jack, and if that's the case, more power to them. I can only speak from my experience the experience of the people I've gone wheeling with, all of who have never once needed a hi-lift.

I guess it was a noob mistake to buy one for the Mrs' Jeep. Was going to buy one for mine. I agree, they make me nervous but I thought they were a must on the trails. I'm assuming if you get a flat you can limp it to a nearby area on a trail where you can get under it to lift it with the scissor jack?

I guess it was a noob mistake to buy one for the Mrs' Jeep. Was going to buy one for mine. I agree, they make me nervous but I thought they were a must on the trails. I'm assuming if you get a flat you can limp it to a nearby area on a trail where you can get under it to lift it with the scissor jack?
The factory jack is a [bottle type] dont remember the real name for it. As long as you can get under the axle. Ie not buried under mud or water. It will work in 95% of the situations you need. Extreme rock crawling excluded.

Reactions: CPelay
Definitely not a must. There are situations you can use it in, but I think that anyone proficient enough with a winch and recovery can probably get out of those situations, sans hi-lift jack.

And yes, if you get a flat, you'd just ideally find that flattest area you can and then use the factory bottle jack (it shouldn't' be a scissor hack). It will have no problems with 35" tires.

You'll be jacking it up from the axle of course, so you can see why it wouldn't have any issue with 35" tires, since it's not like you're jacking it up from the frame itself, which would be much higher.

Reactions: CPelay
I carry one, but haven’t used it in 10 years or so. Even on my old Jeep which had 42’s, I’d stack rocks and use the bottle jack if possible.

Reactions: Chris
I know too many people who have a farm jack on their rig and never use it. It's almost like having a light bar: sure they have their uses, but there are better ways.

X2

I have a 12”x12” piece of 3/4” plywood that I keep in the Jeep to act as a base for the bottle jack in sand/loose dirt.

Yes, I do the same. It fits under the rear seat nicely out of site.

This is what I carry in my Jeep. I use my Hi Lift for leveling my deck, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJJZ5NI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
X2.

Better than risking losing a tooth like that guy in the video. Plus, I think a hi-lift jack is just a sore sight on a jeep. There are a few that are hidden pretty well, but putting it up on your hood I think is one of the most ridiculous things you could do to your rig.

The only good use I can think of for one is as a deadman anchor.

A winch and the buddy system have always done me right. We took three Subarus to the Rubicon in 2003. One of them lugged along an hi-lift with the rest of the tons of heavy gear. (week's worth) The only time we used it was to cut the handle and welded it for a sleeve on a busted shock.

Reactions: M35A2 and JMT