Why do you own a TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Here's a good question for you guys: Why do you own a TJ versus a CJ, YJ or JK?

Let me start by saying that the reason I own a TJ is because to me it is the last 'real' Wrangler produced. I'm not saying I don't have love for the JKs (I do by all means), but the JK leaves something to be desired versus the TJ with it's fairly simply 4.0 tractor style engine, it's lack of sensors, electronics and other crap that will just break over time.

As for a YJ and older, I hate the square headlight look of the YJ and I'm not a fan of the leaf springs all around.

Honestly I don't much care for the look of the JK. The JKU (which most people like) doesn't grow on me for some reason. In addition to that, I agree with the points you made also.

Here's a good question for you guys: Why do you own a TJ versus a CJ, YJ or JK?
Because every time I've had a JK in my garage to do what should have been a simple installation, it turned into a significantly longer ordeal than it would have been with a TJ. In my personal experience and opinion, there's nothing of any consequence that is simple or easy to do on a JK when compared to a TJ. To me, it's just too much like a 4x4 SUV now. I've driven them and their interior is too car-like and they're drive like a minivan.

Because every time I've had a JK in my garage to do what should have been a simple installation, it turned into a significantly longer ordeal than it would have been with a TJ. In my personal experience and opinion, there's nothing of any consequence that is simple or easy to do on a JK when compared to a TJ. To me, it's just too much like a 4x4 SUV now. I've driven them and their interior is too car-like and they're drive like a minivan.

You hit the nail on the head. They've become so much like a 4x4 SUV that nothing is simple anymore like it is on a TJ.

Reactions: Pete Updike
Because I didn't want to pay as much money as a jk is going for out here, plus they are more complicated to fix than a tj. I'm currently learning how to do my own work on my tj and it's not nearly as difficult as my camry or cousins jk.

I almost got a cj but they are pretty difficult to get out here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JP13
Because that is what she said she wanted is the main reason, the other reasons are I think the TJ is the most capable and simpler to work on of all the other ones mentioned .

Jason

Because the TJ was the last real Wrangler.
Everything since is just a modified Grand or Commander or Liberty or Patriot.

Simplicity and being easily modified by the owner has been replaced by focus groups and sales figures. The scary part is Jeeps hesitation to introduce the next Wrangler. Anyone would be terrified of making a change which might disrupt the fastest sales growth for Jeep ever. Count on even more delays... 2016, 2017, 2018, ?????????

Because the TJ was the last real Wrangler.
Everything since is just a modified Grand or Commander or Liberty or Patriot.

Simplicity and being easily modified by the owner has been replaced by focus groups and sales figures. The scary part is Jeeps hesitation to introduce the next Wrangler. Anyone would be terrified of making a change which might disrupt the fastest sales growth for Jeep ever. Count on even more delays... 2016, 2017, 2018, ?????????

Agreed! They're too scared to change anything major for fear that their tremendously good sales will falter.

Let me start by saying that the reason I own a TJ is because to me it is the last 'real' Wrangler produced. I'm not saying I don't have love for the JKs (I do by all means), but the JK leaves something to be desired versus the TJ with it's fairly simply 4.0 tractor style engine, it's lack of sensors, electronics and other crap that will just break over time.

As for a YJ and older, I hate the square headlight look of the YJ and I'm not a fan of the leaf springs all around.
Well Said. Couldnt say better myself. Its nice to be able to work on something bumper to bumper and not take it to the dealership, Jeeps are meant to be built and used.

Reactions: Chris
Well Said. Couldnt say better myself. Its nice to be able to work on something bumper to bumper and not take it to the dealership, Jeeps are meant to be built and used.

I agree. I used to own numerous BMWs. Anytime something broke on them you almost always needed some sort of uber special diagnostic software just to troubleshoot it. Whenever you replaced an electronic module in the car you had to have this special software to 'code' the new module to your car, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Needless to say that was a HUGE headache, especially for a DIY person like myself. I swore to myself I would never again own a car like that. Cars like that aren't meant for people who like to work on their own vehicles. The TJ on the other hand is a fantastic vehicle that allows people like you and me to work on it without super fancy diagnostic programs and such.

I was driving this...
When I saw this...
And bought it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: AndyG
TJ's are simple enough to work on in the driveway and parts are everywhere. The interior is just nice enough that the wife would sign off on getting it. The XJ just got to ratty to enjoy driving. I wasn't thrilled enough with the XJ to put the time into fixing it back up. The Suburban is way overkill for 85% of what I use a 4x4 for. The top comes off! Lots of little things added up to getting a TJ. BEST. MOVE. EVER.

My first jeep of course like most was a cj. I loved it and as far as simple to work on it was the best by far. I now own a 2006 tj rubicon and really like it but it does have many gremlins and faults in the form of sensors and opda's and such. But still Ireally like my tj and I am trying to talk my better half into the new 2016 4 door sahara in white that just came in at the local dealer;)

My first jeep of course like most was a cj. I loved it and as far as simple to work on it was the best by far. I now own a 2006 tj rubicon and really like it but it does have many gremlins and faults in the form of sensors and opda's and such. But still Ireally like my tj and I am trying to talk my better half into the new 2016 4 door sahara in white that just came in at the local dealer;)

So a JK and a TJ? Don't sell the TJ!