Why do you think Jeep has yet to offer a V8 option in the Wrangler?

I don't know if I would trust the general population driving around with solid axles, a high center of gravity, and a V8. Every soccer mom and teenager in the country would roll a JK with a V8 into the next county. I don't really think there is a use for a V8 wrangler anyway. Is anyone really lacking power while rock crawling? I can see needing more power in a buggy, but not really in a JK.

I disagree totally. I built a lightweight 1966 Ford Bronco with soft top and soft doors in 1968 with a modified 428 Cobra Jet engine in it making over 550 horsepower. I put over 100,000 miles on that rig with minimal problems, and I never rolled it! Additional mods included a full roll cage, oversized tires and wheels, dual shocks on all four wheels, headers, 4.11 gears, and Detroit Lockers front and rear. I raced it off-road, and used it as a daily driver for six years. Never blew a transmission, differential, or clutch. The only engine problem I ever had with it was having to replace the valve springs. It won the hill climb at Little Sahara in western Oklahoma the first time out. That Bronco was absolutely amazing both on and off road. I still miss it to this day. FCA is absolutely missing the boat by not making a Hemi V8 Rubicon. They will put a Hellcat Hemi in a Grand Cherokee but won't even put a basic V8 in a Wrangler? What the hell is that about? I would buy a Hemi Rubicon instantly!

Broncoracer 02.jpg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I don't know if I would trust the general population driving around with solid axles, a high center of gravity, and a V8. Every soccer mom and teenager in the country would roll a JK with a V8 into the next county. I don't really think there is a use for a V8 wrangler anyway. Is anyone really lacking power while rock crawling? I can see needing more power in a buggy, but not really in a JK.
The 4.0 weighs more than a GM 5.3 V8

I never said anything about weight. I just don't think anyone who buys a Jeep needs a V8. And it would be a huge endeavor for Jeep that wouldn't bring back much of a return.

I would venture a guess and say a large number of people that have a Jeep, do not even need a Jeep. It would be a cool option for those that want, however.

I would venture a guess and say a large number of people that have a Jeep, do not even need a Jeep. It would be a cool option for those that want, however.

I'm sure it would be a cool option, but Jeep doesn't care about cool options. Jeep cares about making money and offering a V8 Wrangler is not the way to make money. Some people within the small niche of Jeep owners (the enthusiasts) say they want a V8, but how many of them do you see actually swapping them in? How many people today would pay an extra $5,000 for a V8 when the 3.6L is a perfectly good engine?

There is also a reason that a V8 swap is one of the last things hardcore Jeep owners do when modifying their Jeep. That reason is V8 swaps are almost entirely useless. I've never once been driving my Jeep and thought "wow I need more power right now". However, I have been driving my Jeep and thought "wow I need a lift for more clearance" or "wow I need lockers". Jeep essentially filled in those issues with the Rubicon model.

I'm sure it would be a cool option, but Jeep doesn't care about cool options. Jeep cares about making money and offering a V8 Wrangler is not the way to make money. Some people within the small niche of Jeep owners (the enthusiasts) say they want a V8, but how many of them do you see actually swapping them in? How many people today would pay an extra $5,000 for a V8 when the 3.6L is a perfectly good engine?

There is also a reason that a V8 swap is one of the last things hardcore Jeep owners do when modifying their Jeep. That reason is V8 swaps are almost entirely useless. I've never once been driving my Jeep and thought "wow I need more power right now". However, I have been driving my Jeep and thought "wow I need a lift for more clearance" or "wow I need lockers". Jeep essentially filled in those issues with the Rubicon model.
Jeep cares about cool options; disconnects, lockers, lower t/c case ratio, larger wheel well openings, taller tires, too name a few. It really all boils down to emissions and engine displacement taxes. As far as v8 swaps, I am sure it would be more common but it is expensive, very involved, and difficult to do so legally in some states. Lifts, lockers, gears, armor, etc, are mostly garage diy mods.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that Jeep cares about cool options. Look at how many special editions they made for the JKs. Moab edition, Call of Duty edition, the list goes on-and-on. The electronic disconnects alone are nothing but a gimmicky "cool" feature.

I think it boils down to the taxes they put on engine displacement, and emissions. That seems to be the case from what I've read.

Jeep cares about cool options; disconnects, lockers, lower t/c case ratio, larger wheel well openings, taller tires, too name a few. It really all boils down to emissions and engine displacement taxes. As far as v8 swaps, I am sure it would be more common but it is expensive, very involved, and difficult to do so legally in some states. Lifts, lockers, gears, armor, etc, are mostly garage diy mods.
There can be no doubt whatsoever that Jeep cares about cool options. Look at how many special editions they made for the JKs. Moab edition, Call of Duty edition, the list goes on-and-on. The electronic disconnects alone are nothing but a gimmicky "cool" feature.

I think it boils down to the taxes they put on engine displacement, and emissions. That seems to be the case from what I've read.

I'll rephrase. Jeep only cares about "cool options" when it makes them money. At the same time, I do not see the Moab edition, swaybar disconnects, or anything else listed as cool options. The special addition JK's are just gimmicks from partnerships and the Rubicon cool options are basic requirements for anyone looking to do some mild off-roading. I see hellcats and demons as cars that come with cool options.

I think all in all, whether it be from taxes, consumer demand, or some other reason, Jeep doesn't offer a V8 option because they believe it wouldn't make them money.

I never said anything about weight. I just don't think anyone who buys a Jeep needs a V8. And it would be a huge endeavor for Jeep that wouldn't bring back much of a return.
I’m sure I could find plenty of v6 Silverado owners that would agree with the logic that it has enough power. Until they drive the V8 option Silverado.

I feel like that happens a lot with folks that regear, they drive it with the new gears (correct gears) and realize what they were, “missing.”

Reactions: Rob5589 and Chris

All we can do is speculate but I would bet my paycheck that if Jeep offered a V8 TJ/LJ it would have outsold the the other engine options significantly. But that’s just a wild guess.

I drove the V8 Chevy Colorado and was blown away after driving the 5 cylinder Chevy Colorado.

Reactions: alittleoff

If you added more rolling resistance (much bigger tires...) a V8 would be greatly beneficial.

Reactions: alittleoff
I’m not trying to argue. But that is so hard for ME to accept. But I’m one data point.

I agree with this as well. Definitely don't want to argue, but I just can't accept that. They're putting Hellcat engines in everything from Chargers to Grand Cherokees now, and I don't think that anyone who is driving a Grand Cherokee needs a 707hp engine... so explain that one?

It would be interesting to talk to the people running the company and find out what the real reasons are.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I’m not trying to argue. But that is so hard for ME to accept. But I’m one data point.

I absolutely guarantee you that Jeep has data on this. Every decision a company makes is heavily driven by data nowadays. If they thought they could make money, they'd be doing it. As Jeep enthusiasts, it is pretty easy to have the view that everyone would buy a V8, but in reality, I bet most Jeep owners barely know what a V8 is.

I have extensive experience driving the slowest 3.6L JK model there is (3.21's, automatic, 4 door). That Jeep is fast enough for anything you need to do with a Jeep. Now with the new 8 speed JL, I'd bet a 2 door rubicon with 4.10's is fairly quick. Very few people are going to pay a significant amount of money to have an even faster Jeep.

Reactions: Sancho
I absolutely guarantee you that Jeep has data on this. Every decision a company makes is heavily driven by data nowadays. If they thought they could make money, they'd be doing it. As Jeep enthusiasts, it is pretty easy to have the view that everyone would buy a V8, but in reality, I bet most Jeep owners barely know what a V8 is.

I have extensive experience driving the slowest 3.6L JK model there is (3.21's, automatic, 4 door). That Jeep is fast enough for anything you need to do with a Jeep. Now with the new 8 speed JL, I'd bet a 2 door rubicon with 4.10's is fairly quick. Very few people are going to pay a significant amount of money to have an even faster Jeep.
A V8 doesn’t mean it has to associated with speed. Although a TJ with a V8 would give me a lot of confidence to pass semis or merge in traffic. Not to mention the extra torque down low. Same logic could be applied to the Rubicon lockers, how many Jeep consumers off the street buy the Rubicon but don’t use it...ever...to it’s true potential? I’m guessing a lot. Yet they sell a ton of them.

But like it was mentioned earlier, a V6 Silverado does great. But a V8 Silverado does it even better with less effort.

Horsepower and torque is to an engine like oxygen is to our bodies. You don’t really know how great it is to have until you don’t have enough of it or lack it entirely.

Reactions: JMT and derekmac
I am on the V8 bandwagon also, I think people forget that in the 70's Cj's came with a V8 option. It isn't too far fetched. I think people could handle it just fine.

I also don't believe speed kills. I believe driving fast or the speed limit or slower than the speed limit kills. I believe driving like an asshole kills, and talking on the damn phone kills, I agree with @Fouledplugs, I don't believe we want V8's to race cars on the street, we would like to merge traffic on the freeway without having to floor it. Or have something left if necessary. Plus some of us tow, so a V8 would definitely be a bonus. I might even consider a JL if it came with a v8, but I am not ever going to upgrade my TJ unless that becomes an option. Also I don't believe that Jeep (Chrysler) doesn't put V8's in because they can't make money, because they have never done it to know. I bet it has more to do with Federal emissions standards and two doors. Although that said the 4 doors should at least have a V-8 option. I don't think I would ever buy a 4 door Jeep though even if it came with a V8.

I am kind of hoping that someone buys Jeep from Chrysler that is a little more adventurous, but in reality, I think with all of the federal mandates our primitive jeeps are on the way out no matter who produces them.

I would love to get my hands on a 76ish CJ with a AMC 8 cylinder, and try and retro AC some how. I really liked those Jeeps.

All we can do is speculate but I would bet my paycheck that if Jeep offered a V8 TJ/LJ it would have outsold the the other engine options significantly. But that’s just a wild guess.
In much the same way that the 4.0 six cylinder TJs outsold the 4 cylinder versions...