Why do you think Jeep has yet to offer a V8 option in the Wrangler?

I think they’re just holding out...anticipation is an essential part of satisfaction.

I think the true problem with a factory v8 is cost. You would need a tougher transmission and transfer case to handle the increased power.

I know people used stock stuff with a v8 swap. But this is not something that a manufacturer will do. They need to make sure it will hold up for a reasonable amount of time. Not just the warranty period.

The things we dont look at when we swap an engine is what are the impact on everything else. Twisting of the frame, differential, drive shaft, weight and balance.

While it can be done. Is there enough of a demand for the price point it would have? Also exports would be taxed so heavily that it would not be reasonable to even try. So you have one (maybe two) country's that would be interested in them.

As the current marketing is geared more to soccer moms and the new generation that doesn't look at the v8 is a proper engine. They like there small eco friendly engines.

I don't ever think we will see a factory v8 in our lifetime.

Reactions: JMT
While it can be done. Is there enough of a demand for the price point it would have?
When I stop and think about the prices people are willing to pay for what already exists, I think that question has already been answered. I'm sorry, but people are paying for their cars what I paid for my house. The Jeep Trackhawk? $90,000. A fully loaded JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon pushes up to $57,000. If you took the base Rubicon Unlimited (roughly $40,000) and made the V-8 option an $8-$10,000 package, I say yes, it would sell. What I won't say is "I guarantee" it would sell. I struggle with people making that "I guarantee" statement on anything. What is your guarantee? If you're wrong, there will be monetary compensation in the form of a partial refund? Now that's a guarantee! Otherwise, they're just words emphasizing your opinion.

Last edited:
My friend and I were working on a 1974 Cj-5 with a v8 and on the first drive we accidentally popped a wheelie and broke the front diff and axles so maybe that’s a reason.

I think the new Jeeps would be hard pressed to pop wheelies like your 74 did. I had a friend with a mid 70's that popped wheelies too. It was really cool, but I think if I could pop a wheelie in my new JL it would definitely be cool. My 06 Yamaha R1 pops wheelies just fine, why can't my Jeep too? haha

Reactions: JMT
My friend and I were working on a 1974 Cj-5 with a v8 and on the first drive we accidentally popped a wheelie and broke the front diff and axles so maybe that’s a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly ...I had one . It was a beast . It was too much engine for a vehicle that that safety issues already.

I think cost , fitment , safety all played in..and the fact they never needed a v8. Less is more when it comes to traction and driveline durability .

Also , in some cases , power affects handling adversely . Not always , but it can.

I was taking to a guy at Jeep he said the government said doesn't allow Jeep to put a v8 in a wrangler
I don't know where the lines are drawn , but I think a more powerful engine option in the JLU and JT Gladiator would be well received , the 4.3 was loved in Chevrolet's S-10 series and blazers , and powerful engines thrive in today's market .. horsepower had made a come back.

Maybe I'm insane , but my gut tells me the 4 doors need a V8 , or a very potent V6.

The Jeep president himself addressed why the V8 never made it to the Wrangler in a very recent news article.

He mentioned that while it fits, it's not safe from a crash / safety perspective. It fits in the engine bay tight enough that when you get in a high speed accident, there isn't enough room for the body to crumple the way it should and still keep the occupants safe.

I'm not a safety engineer, so I have no idea what all of it means, but it sounds like Jeep themselves have confirmed it. The V8 never made it to the Wrangler due to safety reasons.

And let's not kid ourselves anyways. In many cases a good V6 can produce as much (if not the same) power as an entry level V8. More cylinders doesn't always mean more power. The Pentastar for instance is a 3.6, but it never once leaves you feeling like you really are lacking for power. Okay, maybe if you add 40s and a ton of extra weight, but at that point even an entry level V8 wouldn't be enough either.

The Jeep president himself addressed why the V8 never made it to the Wrangler in a very recent news article.

He mentioned that while it fits, it's not safe from a crash / safety perspective. It fits in the engine bay tight enough that when you get in a high speed accident, there isn't enough room for the body to crumple the way it should and still keep the occupants safe.

I'm not a safety engineer, so I have no idea what all of it means, but it sounds like Jeep themselves have confirmed it. The V8 never made it to the Wrangler due to safety reasons.

And let's not kid ourselves anyways. In many cases a good V6 can produce as much (if not the same) power as an entry level V8. More cylinders doesn't always mean more power. The Pentastar for instance is a 3.6, but it never once leaves you feeling like you really are lacking for power. Okay, maybe if you add 40s and a ton of extra weight, but at that point even an entry level V8 wouldn't be enough either.
I think that nails why so much of us whine about power ..we slap on huge tires and rims and add all kinds of weight , and the power train design is built around trailer tires basically.

Americans take square bread , round meat , sliced tomatoes , diced onions , make a sandwich , cut it diagonally , and complain because it falls apart.

Wonder what the measurements are on the Chevy Colorado engine bay and frame buckle joints, from the factory it came with a LS 5.3 in it. (Gen 1 Colorado)

The Gen 1 Chevy/GMC Canyon/Colorado originally came with a 2.8-liter four-cylinder making 175 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque or a 3.5-liter inline-five developing 220 hp and 225 lb-ft. People thought this was adequate. Engineers thought differently. In 2007 a face-lift kicked in, a 2.9-liter four-cylinder with 185 hp and 190 lb-ft and a 3.7-liter inline-five with 242 hp and 242 lb-ft. Which makes me start to wonder why do engineers keep pushing power and torque up and up, 175 HP ad 185 lb-ft TQ was adequate, why more?

To futher confuse me and leaving me out in left field is teh fact that in 2009 the Chevy engineers introduced the option of a 5.3-liter V-8 endowed with 300 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque.

Having this type of power chasing is what's needed over at the Wrangler and Gladitor engineering table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
Wonder what the measurments are on the Chevy Colorado engine bay and frame buckle joints, from the factory it came with a LS 5.3 in it. (Gen 1 Colorado)

The Gen 1 Chhevy/GMC Canyon/Colorado originally came with a 2.8-liter four-cylinder making 175 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque or a 3.5-liter inline-five developing 220 hp and 225 lb-ft. People thought this was adequate. Engineers thought differently. In 2007 a face-lift kicked in, a 2.9-liter four-cylinder with 185 hp and 190 lb-ft and a 3.7-liter inline-five with 242 hp and 242 lb-ft. Which makes me start to wonder why do engineers keep pushing power and tourwue up and up, 175 HP ad 185 lb-ft TQ was adequate, why more?

To futher confuse me and leaving me out in left field is teh fact that in 2009 the Chevy engineers introduced the option of a 5.3-liter V-8 endowed with 300 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque.

Having this type of power chasing is what's needed over at the Wrangler and Gladitor engineering table.
I really , really agree with that , and would likely in a Jk already if they had similar engines, because they look great with big tires and the extra room works for families and excursions well.

I really , really agree with that , and would likely in a Jk already if they had similar engines, because they look great with big tires and the extra room works for families and excursions well.
It could likely be explained to me and make sense, but as of right now, it doesnt make sense to me that the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon had a 5.3 V8 with 300 HP and the Jeep JLU and Gladiator share the same V6 engine as the JL...

It could likely be explained to me and make sense, but as of right now, it doesnt make sense to me that the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon had a 5.3 V8 with 300 HP and the Jeep JLU and Gladiator share the same V6 engine as the JL...
That's been one of my sore spots with the Gladiator ,it's advertised tow capacity is pushing the engine to it's mechanical limits .

I was recently under a JK , they are built really stout , as far as the drive train and steering components , and the oil filter looked like it belonged on a Toro mower.

I don't understand the 3.6 in that chassis . I'm sure it's fantastic in a 2 door JK/JL .

I also think a larger engine could mean the difference in average success and massive success in the market for the JT.

It's screwed up for something that looks like that not to have power to match , like a Corvette with a 4 cylinder.

That's been one of my sore spots with the Gladiator ,it's advertised tow capacity is pushing the engine to it's mechanical limits .

I was recently under a JK , they are built really stout , as far as the drive train and steering components , and the oil filter looked like it belonged on a Toro mower.

I don't understand the 3.6 in that chassis . I'm sure it's fantastic in a 2 door JK/JL .

I also think a larger engine could mean the difference in average success and massive success in the market for the JT.

It's screwed up for something that looks like that not to have power to match , like a Corvette with a 4 cylinder.
It woud be interesting to see what the Gladiator hype would have been if the Hemi was an option in it...

Reactions: ac_
I have a hard time believing the 3.6 Pentastar would hold a candle to a 5.7 hemi. I agree with @AndyG here, I would bet there was a market for 5.7 hemis in Wranglers especially the new truck ones and the 4 doors. I would consider one. But I already have a paid off under powered Jeep. I am not in anyway going to go in debt for a new under powered Jeep.

I get people that say the Jeep is fine for power, but my jeep doesn't get any better gas mileage than my 3/4 ton truck, and if it is going to get that crappy of mileage I want it to pop wheelies or tow huge amounts to make it cool. Don't get me wrong I love my jeep other than I wish it had more power, and could tow better. I mean when I tow with my jeep I can feel it back there no matter what it is. It would be nice if it could tow worth the crappy mileage.

But my point is I love my Jeep, but it is paid off and still looks good. I wouldn't trade it for another under powered Jeep and go into debt over it. I might if it came with a 5.7 Hemi. or a 6.0 GM.

Reactions: alittleoff