Why does the inside of the hood look like this?

armaunr

I'm looking at an 05 LJ and the car looks clean enough, has 47,000 miles but in the pictures the inside of the hood looks like this

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 5.43.00 PM.png

Is this some kind of red flag or? Thanks!

That’s just the hood insulation pad. Probably been pressure washed one too many times.
The earlier models didn’t have one at all, you could just pull it out.
Not sure where you’re located but I’d be more concerned about rust from looking at the metal surfaces under the hood.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Noticed the A/C high pressure line service port fitting is missing it's protective cap; I would check the low pressure line service port fitting to see if it's also missing its protective cap.

Reactions: armaunr
That’s just the hood insulation pad. Probably been pressure washed one too many times.
The earlier models didn’t have one at all, you could just pull it out.
Not sure where you’re located but I’d be more concerned about rust from looking at the metal surfaces under the hood.

My 2005 does not have either

Reactions: JMT
Neither does my '06. I think that's an aftermarket pad.

It is not. It is the factory hood insulator for the TJ Unlimited 04-06 which was done along with a much thicker mass backed carpet with very thick padding. They also brought sound insulation up behind the dash onto the firewall.

It is not. It is the factory hood insulator for the TJ Unlimited 04-06 which was done along with a much thicker mass backed carpet with very thick padding. They also brought sound insulation up behind the dash onto the firewall.

Then I learned something new today. Thanx!

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I wonder what the reasoning was to only provide more sound insulation for the Unlimited.

My hood still has its insulation blanket up there, but around a couple of attachment points it's beginning to lose the battle against gravity. I wish I knew, or could figure out, a way to reinforce it so it could continue to keep on keepin' on.

The thick padding you mention, is that the heavy, moving-blanket-like stuff under the carpet in the cargo area? That's not normal for all Jeeps?

Yes, it is under the carpet, and attached to it and the TJ Unlimited stuff is well over an inch thick new.

I learn something new everyday with these things; especially how 'stock' for a TJ Unlimited doesn't always equal 'stock' for the normal TJ.

Thanks for following up.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ