Why don’t I ever see outboard shocks on JKs?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Why is it that I never see outboard shocks on JKs? Is the stock suspension setup in such a way that there isn’t as much benefit from outboarding?

I'll have to study the neighbor's JK. Mount relocations must exist on the JK. Maybe they are able to just move the mounts up. The reason to go outside the frame on a TJ (and probably the YJ, CJ) is because that is where the most room is.

I'll have to study the neighbor's JK. Mount relocations must exist on the JK. Maybe they are able to just move the mounts up. The reason to go outside the frame on a TJ (and probably the YJ, CJ) is because that is where the most room is.

Yes, in doing some research I noticed that Metalcloak and others make shock relocation brackets (bolt-on), so perhaps that has something to do with it. I'm curious what the lengths of the stock shocks are on a JK.

JK factory front
14.02 compressed
7.91 travel
21.93 extended

JK Rubicon factory front
14.75 compressed
8 travel
22.75 extended

JK factory rear
14.5 compressed
8 travel
22.5 extended

JK Rubicon factory rear
14.63 compressed
8.5 travel
23.13 extended

Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
It's your Jeep. Only better. ;)

I'm also confused, unless there is something else going on up above.

2.jpg

That's a 2-door JK frame.

The front has shock towers, but the rear doesn't, which makes me think the rear shocks are mounted similarly to a TJ.

Here's a shot of the rear frame. I can see where the rear shocks mount. Very similar to a TJ:

maxresdefault.jpg

So it would seem from looking at those photos that a JK could still benefit from outboard towers (in the rear at least).

Odd, because I've never really read anything about outboard towers on a JK.

Reactions: Ephry73
I see a rear shock that disappears into a cross member like the TJ.

I see a rear shock that disappears into a cross member like the TJ.

Yep, that's what I see in that second photo too. Which makes me wonder why I never read about outboard shock towers on JKs.

Maybe the body would be interfering with them in such a way that you wouldn't be able to french them in unless you actually cut into the body.

It exists...
032f6a79477d0d6e1824c871c32b7cb4.jpg

I'm also seeing several rear lower drop brackets, which makes far more sense than raising them without doing anything else.
fbba7d5917fc599b7cbd5cb0f4362fbf.jpg

It exists...
View attachment 68520

I'm also seeing several rear lower drop brackets, which makes far more sense than raising them without doing anything else.
View attachment 68521

I just found this:
https://genright.com/products/rear-coil-over-shock-mount-cross-member-kit-4-door-jk.html

So I guess it does exist, it just seems to be far less common on JKs for whatever reason.

Those drop brackets certainly make more sense than the Metalcloak ones which raise the shock. Gaining ground clearance at the expense of losing travel? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Reactions: jjvw
Synergy has a cut and weld raised rear upper to go with their lower extension.

To be fair, outboarding on a TJ isn't particularly common either. I can't think of anyone I know that has done it on a non-truggy build like ours. I know 2-3 that have relocated the rear lowers, though.

To be fair, outboarding on a TJ isn't particularly common either. I can't think of anyone I know that had done it on a non-truggy build. I know 2-3 that have relocated the rear lowers, though.

This is true. Though I will say I'm starting to see the outboard shocks on TJs more-and-more. Maybe it's just because I'm paying attention to it more now that it's been done to mine.

There certainly seems to be more conversation about outboarded shocks on TJs though. Even a Google search doesn't bring up much results when searching for outboarded rear shocks on a JK.

I'm not a JK guy, but my understanding is the rear frame width is wider than the TJs. You have to go very wide axles to make it work (coilovers). The JKs can fit longer shocks stock in the rear than a TJ, so I doubt you would do the work to outboard standard smoothie shocks.

Reactions: jjvw
I'm not a JK guy, but my understanding is the rear frame width is wider than the TJs. You have to go very wide axles to make it work (coilovers). The JKs can fit longer shocks stock in the rear than a TJ, so I doubt you would do the work to outboard standard smoothie shocks.

Makes sense. All the photos I am finding of JKs that have this done are running coilovers and what appears to be wider axles.

To be fair, outboarding on a TJ isn't particularly common either. I can't think of anyone I know that has done it on a non-truggy build like ours. I know 2-3 that have relocated the rear lowers, though.
I wouldn't call it common but around here I've done so many I can't remember them all. Well over 50.

Reactions: Chris and pcoplin