Why don’t I ever see outboard shocks on JKs?

I’ve done mine and helped with one other Jeep. Although I know at least five people other than myself that have it done.

This is something I've been curious about as well.

Do JKs have a lot more travel with the stock shock setup than TJs?

TJ shock travel 7.5" front and 7" rear.
JK shock travel 7.9" front and 8" rear.
JKR shock travel 8.5" front and 8.5" rear.
JL shock travel 7.9" front and 7.5" rear.
JLR shock travel 9.4" front and 8.5" rear.

Wow, they've really got some serious travel on the JLRs! Looks like that factory highline must play a pivotal role?

How is it that the JKR manages to get that much more travel than the standard JK though?

Wow, they've really got some serious travel on the JLRs! Looks like that factory highline must play a pivotal role?

How is it that the JKR manages to get that much more travel than the standard JK though?

The factory "highline" makes more room. It would be interesting to know if the differences are more than just the shocks allowing more travel. There would have to be differences in the factory bump stops.

The factory "highline" makes more room. It would be interesting to know if the differences are more than just the shocks allowing more travel.

True, but the JKR doesn't have a factory highline, it's fenders are the same as the non Rubicon model JKs.

The JLR though, it's fenders are visibly much higher than the non Rubicon model JLs.

It would indeed be interesting to know the differences, I agree.

Clearly Jeep has been paying attention to what people want in terms of off-road capability. I'm impressed that the travel is that much from the factory. That factory highline definitely is nice.

Mopar actually offered a factory highline for the JKs, but it had to be ordered as a Mopar accessory, not an actual vehicle option.

In fact, here's a photo of one:

Fun fact, the TJ Rubicon effectively has the same suspension and body clearance as any other TJ. But it has longer bump stops from the factory than a standard TJ.

Reactions: psrivats and Starrs