Why don't people look at each other anymore?

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
Been wondering about this for quite some time now. I’m a walker, have been since I was a kid, 5 miles a day/7 days a week/52 weeks a year. Of course that doesn’t include regular walking, the kind everyone does day to day to live life. By my calculations since graduating high school in 1984 I’ve walked approximately 63,000+ ‘extra’ miles. Granted, half of those are done at the crack of dawn when generally no one is around but me, but the rest are done most often at lunch time when I pass by an awful lot of people.

I’ve observed a marked change over the years in eye contact between people. Many years ago nearly everyone I passed by on the street made eye contact, most even said hi. Now, most go to great lengths to avoid eye contact, seems some would rather stare directly into the sun than look at another person.

I’d say maybe it’s because I’m just a lot uglier than I was 30 years ago, but while that’s no doubt true I watch the same people not look at anyone. Just hoards of humanity walking along in their own little world ignoring each other. Sometimes the reason is obvious, they have their head buried in a cell phone, but more troubling to me are the ones that are just blankly staring into the oblivion, to me they appear very awkward, it’s like they see you coming, get uncomfortable then struggle to pretend to not notice you so they don’t have to look at you or worse, say something.

The exceptions to this are older people, by and large they still look at others and say hi. I’m one of them, I look at people just waiting to see if they’re one of the few that will look back & when they do I say hello, even say it often when they don’t look over…

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this another byproduct of technology? Are younger people so detached from actual interaction with others that they can’t look you in the eye? Is there some other explanation or have I officially turned into a cranky old man that just thinks this is happening?

Get off my lawn.

I have noticed it too. I think a lot of people don't know or want to carry on an intelligent conversation to a "real" person eye to eye, or like you say, make eye contact and just say "Hi".

Reactions: Chris
Another thing I've noticed.... (I'm not saying it's a bad thing) just different for me,.... is instead of just giving another guy a manly hand shake, they want to hug you too. I know it probably means a more sincere greeting, but I'm just not a man hugger.

Another thing I've noticed.... (I'm not saying it's a bad thing) just different for me,.... is instead of just giving another guy a manly hand shake, they want to hug you too. I know it probably means a more sincere greeting, but I'm just not a man hugger.

How about a tree hugger?

Hugging? Wow, that’s one I have yet to encounter, haha.

Yeah, after a backpacking trip a few weeks back my buddy hugged me. It was weird.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The hugging is a brotherhood thing. If you don’t have any “Brothers” you won’t get it. Not talking about siblings. Lack of eye contact is cultural.

Depends on the culture. I spent time growing up in the mid-Atlantic; D.C., Philly, NY, etc... You just don't pay attention to one another out there. Someone could be dead on the sidewalk for a day straight before anyone noticed.

I remember getting stationed down on the panhandle of Fl for the first time out of basic training and what a culture shock it was. I went to the local Walmart to pick some junk up for my new place and the cashier would not shut the f up when I said "hows it going". She was just talking on and on about how her son was about to graduate high school and how they were going to have a party and what her husband was going to BBQ... It was astounding. I said "hows it going" and she actually told me. That was a first for me.

Same deal out west. I go for a run or a ride here on the local trails here in UT and it's "good morning" to damn near everyone I pass. The asshole city dweller in me gets annoyed sometimes but the humanity is actually nice.

Before my accident I hardly ever talked to anyone besides my wife and kids. After the accident everything has changed. I talk to just about anybody, in the store, on the road, anywhere (but I never start it with young girls because I'm an old guy).

I just irritated my wife yet again a couple hours ago because while waiting for our dinner bill at the bar, I went over and started talking for the first time to an older couple that I saw last time we were there. She should be happy I didn't just start talking to the 20 some year old hottie sitting right beside me.

Been wondering about this for quite some time now. I’m a walker, have been since I was a kid, 5 miles a day/7 days a week/52 weeks a year. Of course that doesn’t include regular walking, the kind everyone does day to day to live life. By my calculations since graduating high school in 1984 I’ve walked approximately 63,000+ ‘extra’ miles. Granted, half of those are done at the crack of dawn when generally no one is around but me, but the rest are done most often at lunch time when I pass by an awful lot of people.

I’ve observed a marked change over the years in eye contact between people. Many years ago nearly everyone I passed by on the street made eye contact, most even said hi. Now, most go to great lengths to avoid eye contact, seems some would rather stare directly into the sun than look at another person.

I’d say maybe it’s because I’m just a lot uglier than I was 30 years ago, but while that’s no doubt true I watch the same people not look at anyone. Just hoards of humanity walking along in their own little world ignoring each other. Sometimes the reason is obvious, they have their head buried in a cell phone, but more troubling to me are the ones that are just blankly staring into the oblivion, to me they appear very awkward, it’s like they see you coming, get uncomfortable then struggle to pretend to not notice you so they don’t have to look at you or worse, say something.

The exceptions to this are older people, by and large they still look at others and say hi. I’m one of them, I look at people just waiting to see if they’re one of the few that will look back & when they do I say hello, even say it often when they don’t look over…

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this another byproduct of technology? Are younger people so detached from actual interaction with others that they can’t look you in the eye? Is there some other explanation or have I officially turned into a cranky old man that just thinks this is happening?

Get off my lawn.
While I find myself agreeing with most of what you've said, I do find that it's a situational thing. Depends on the folks around. Some observations:

* Make eye contact with someone who thinks they're tough, and they think you're challenging them. That's always a good time.
* Make eye contact with someone who's kind of loitering around, or openly panhandling, and you get asked for a handout.
*Make eye contact with someone who's "on something", and all hell breaks loose.
* Make eye contact with the opposite sex when they're a good thirty or so years younger than you, and you get dirty looks, like you're some kind of lecherous old man.

These are all experiences I've had. So why in the hell would I ever even want to make eye contact with someone? Well, because...

*When you look like Santa and make eye contact with a young child, you get some hilarious reactions.
*Old people understand it, and appreciate it. They remember when it wasn't always like this.
*When it's the opposite sex, and they're closer to your own age, you sometimes get the warmest smile in return.

Generally, I think if the eye contact is accompanied with a slight smile, it goes a long way toward a positive reaction. Of course, you've got to get the other person to even acknowledge your existence before you can initiate eye contact. Sometimes that's the more difficult of the two.

Damn, this is a depressing subject...

Last edited:
While I find myself agreeing with most of what you've said, I do find that it's a situational thing. Depends on the folks around. Some observations:

* Make eye contact with someone who thinks they're tough, and they think you're challenging them. That's always a good time.
* Make eye contact with someone who's kind of loitering around, or openly panhandling, and you get asked for a handout.
*Make eye contact with someone who's "on something", and all hell breaks loose.
* Make eye contact with the opposite sex when they're a good thirty or so years younger than you, and you get dirty looks, like you're some kind of lecherous old man.

These are all experiences I've had. So why in the hell would I ever even want to make eye contact with someone? Well, because...
*When you look like Santa and make eye contact with a young child, you get some hilarious reactions.
*Old people understand it, and appreciate it. They remember when it wasn't always like this.
*When it's the opposite sex, and they're closer to your own age, you sometimes get the warmest smile in return.

Generally, I think if the eye contact is accompanied with a slight smile, it goes a long way toward a positive reaction. Of course, you've got to get the other person to even acknowledge your existence before you can initiate eye contact. Sometimes that's the more difficult of the two.

Good points.

I’ve had to many instances where I’ve just said a friendly hello and it turned into more info than I wanted to know or something like that. I’m friendly and courteous to everyone except certain situations. In those situations, the person or group of people earned my unfriendly side.

Sometimes a friendly hello may just the thing someone needs who’s having a bad day.

In general though, I like my space and I keep to myself. Hell, when on break at work I put my headphones in and listen to music or something so no one sits with me. A certain couple of individuals caused me to start that. Neither one of them ever shut the hell up. Always talking. LOL.

In the city if you say hi to everybody you are nuts. Out in the suburbs people recognize me and say morning or evening because I've said it to them fifty times. People aren't so complex.

Really, why are you trying to have some human connection to people you are randomly seeing on the street? Can you imagine that scenario in Los Angeles or New York where there are millions of people going about their business?

Good points.

I’ve had to many instances where I’ve just said a friendly hello and it turned into more info than I wanted to know or something like that. I’m friendly and courteous to everyone except certain situations. In those situations, the person or group of people earned my unfriendly side.

Sometimes a friendly hello may just the thing someone needs who’s having a bad day.

In general though, I like my space and I keep to myself. Hell, when on break at work I put my headphones in and listen to music or something so no one sits with me. A certain couple of individuals caused me to start that. Neither one of them ever shut the hell up. Always talking. LOL.
I actually had a woman give me the most wonderful smile about a year back. I was one of those people having a "bad day", so it was just what I needed. I turned back toward her and thanked her for the smile, and let her know it was the nicest thing that had happened to me all day. She just gave me an even bigger smile, said "You're welcome", and turned and went on her merry way. I can't remember now what was bothering me that day, but I'll always remember her smile. (y)

I try to talk to people and say hi even to strangers. I wave at folks in my neighborhood regardless of if I know them ( but I try to avoid my one neighbor who wants to have a 30 minute conversation every time he sees you andclaims he has done everything you have done but bigger and better).

Strange reactions on elevators. Most folks under 40 pull out there phone specifically to avoid social interaction.

People I don’t know in my neighborhood. About ⅓ return the greeting with a smile. About ½ don’t react or seem awkward. The rest give a dirty look as if to say WTF...

I don’t have any issues saying hi to a pretty young woman. But if I make eye contact itsbrief. Else I’m probably perceived as a dirty old man.

And I’m awkward interacting with children under 10 if their parents are around. Sign of the times but that usually gets a dirty look and the parent pulling their kid closer to them.

In 20 more years saying hi to a stranger will be very scarce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
In general though, I like my space and I keep to myself.
I'm this way, unless I'm around car guys. When I'm around car guys, regardless of whether I know them or not, I'm completely comfortable and in my element. But at a party full of just general people, I......wait a minute. I don't go to parties. I wouldn't know how I act. Just disregard that part. ;)

Some of us just don’t like people.

true, but that's nothing new

Depends on the culture. I spent time growing up in the mid-Atlantic; D.C., Philly, NY, etc... You just don't pay attention to one another out there. Someone could be dead on the sidewalk for a day straight before anyone noticed.

here's the thing about that, I was born in South Philly & have lived my entire life within a 25 mile radius so these are my people, a steady control group, that I'm talking about. Philly gets a bad rap, probably deserved, but I wouldn't trade my brothers for anyone, we understand each other.

The hugging is a brotherhood thing. If you don’t have any “Brothers” you won’t get it. Not talking about siblings. Lack of eye contact is cultural.

yup, get that completely, it's never been a big deal; it's also a real goomba thing, guilty on both counts here.

As for the lack of eye contact being cultural, there's been a cultural shift then that I've observed, not sure why. Still thinking it's the long term effect of technology, people have become so accustomed to communicating by device that it apparently makes it harder to communicate in other ways.

Forums like this are a small piece of this. Many years ago the Jeep people you knew were ones you actually knew in person, maybe a small handful. Now we all 'know' a few hundred in space :LOL:

it is, not sure why I even brought it up hahaha. I've been working in a new town for a few months now so my afternoon walk is in a whole new spot, a really cool one at that, I do a 2.5 mile walk along the Brandywine River in Wilmington Delaware so I'm seeing a whole new crop of people, same observation.

Reactions: Squatch and Chris