Why don't people look at each other anymore?

I just take some things much lighter than some, honking a horn is not a slap on the ass, I also dont say anything, I just wave. Go to somewhere like North Dakota and everyone waves, even if they dont know you. I dont believe that anyone waves besides the middle finger in CA from what I have witnessed.
Up here in the country in Northern California we wave at each other all the time.

Thank you.
I'll now quietly crawl back under my rock.
Hey KMET, you can have an opinion and even discuss it. I do just because I like to see how people react. You get a different reaction from some people than others. I am not trying to be malicious, just having some fun.

As someone who works on the computer all day, I can confirm that it's probably a technology thing. I catch myself doing it all the time, unfortunately.

Try it sometime, pure entertainment...they will be on their phones and the neck jerking around to see who they might know that was honking at them is hilarious. Its just a light double tap on the horn. If they actually see me, I wave like I know them which really confuses them. They are like who the hell is that?

oh and young to me is 20 something...

Most all of them think they are the next undiscovered media sensation. Honking at them only feeds that delusion. It is hilarious.

Been wondering about this for quite some time now. I’m a walker, have been since I was a kid, 5 miles a day/7 days a week/52 weeks a year. Of course that doesn’t include regular walking, the kind everyone does day to day to live life. By my calculations since graduating high school in 1984 I’ve walked approximately 63,000+ ‘extra’ miles. Granted, half of those are done at the crack of dawn when generally no one is around but me, but the rest are done most often at lunch time when I pass by an awful lot of people.

I’ve observed a marked change over the years in eye contact between people. Many years ago nearly everyone I passed by on the street made eye contact, most even said hi. Now, most go to great lengths to avoid eye contact, seems some would rather stare directly into the sun than look at another person.

I’d say maybe it’s because I’m just a lot uglier than I was 30 years ago, but while that’s no doubt true I watch the same people not look at anyone. Just hoards of humanity walking along in their own little world ignoring each other. Sometimes the reason is obvious, they have their head buried in a cell phone, but more troubling to me are the ones that are just blankly staring into the oblivion, to me they appear very awkward, it’s like they see you coming, get uncomfortable then struggle to pretend to not notice you so they don’t have to look at you or worse, say something.

The exceptions to this are older people, by and large they still look at others and say hi. I’m one of them, I look at people just waiting to see if they’re one of the few that will look back & when they do I say hello, even say it often when they don’t look over…

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this another byproduct of technology? Are younger people so detached from actual interaction with others that they can’t look you in the eye? Is there some other explanation or have I officially turned into a cranky old man that just thinks this is happening?

Get off my lawn.

My observations as well.

Another thing I've noticed.... (I'm not saying it's a bad thing) just different for me,.... is instead of just giving another guy a manly hand shake, they want to hug you too. I know it probably means a more sincere greeting, but I'm just not a man hugger.
Hugging is for dear friends and ridiculously hot chicks.

Reactions: lindsey97
I originally come from Vermont where people are friendly and gregarious. Waving and striking up conversations with strangers is quite normal. I am like that, but I am also mindful of people who are not like that and give then their space. Without even trying, I observe everyone around me in public. I have lived the last 23 years in some very diverse areas where paying attention is more than a good idea. Often I see people crowd scanning just like I do and we generally grin at each other. IMHO, people who avoid eye contact or stay in their own zone are prey.

I think a big part is how you were raised and the area you live. My father seemed to know everyone and a simple trip to the hardware store would be a two hour trip. He would smile and shake everybody’s hand and introduce them to me. At the time I remember being uncomfortable, but I’m glad he did it. It help me become a functioning adult. I live in a small town just a boat ride away from Seattle that still has the small local business owners. Everyone still says hello, waves or tips their hat. I’ve never done an official study, but I do find a correlation between population size and the number of assholes that live there.😁

I think a big part is how you were raised and the area you live. My father seemed to know everyone and a simple trip to the hardware store would be a two hour trip. He would smile and shake everybody’s hand and introduce them to me. At the time I remember being uncomfortable, but I’m glad he did it. It help me become a functioning adult. I live in a small town just a boat ride away from Seattle that still has the small local business owners. Everyone still says hello, waves or tips their hat. I’ve never done an official study, but I do find a correlation between population size and the number of assholes that live there.😁

Well you are on to something. The industrial northeast (I-95 corridor) contains the greatest number of stressed out, tight assed over their heads in debt, idiots the planet has to offer. I have always found that small towns and rural areas have the friendliest and most helpful people. As far as looking someone in the eyes I constantly assess the area I am in, particularly if it is a city like Philadelphia. It is called situational awareness and involves identifying potential threats. If your nose is buried in your cell phone you are potential prey. Part of this awareness comes from having worked in the prison system where you must be aware and alert at all times.

I originally come from Vermont where people are friendly and gregarious. Waving and striking up conversations with strangers is quite normal. I am like that, but I am also mindful of people who are not like that and give then their space. Without even trying, I observe everyone around me in public. I have lived the last 23 years in some very diverse areas where paying attention is more than a good idea. Often I see people crowd scanning just like I do and we generally grin at each other. IMHO, people who avoid eye contact or stay in their own zone are prey.

I love rural Vermont for that very reason. You can be as secluded as you want in VT yet still mingle with good people if you choose. One of my favorite states.

Careful with that grinning thing, don't overdo it. Go look at what grinning equates to in the animal kingdom and report back. After all, we are just a bunch of intelligent, educated animals.