Why fossil fuels are so hard to kick

Has anyone pointed out that Fossil fuels is the greatest lie?

My first professor in College explained to us how he was a Geologist, he was paid a six figure salary in the 60s and 70s to find oil since it was running dry.

oil is a byproduct of the molten lava fields reducing the natural elements of the earths core.

Reactions: BlueC and reddvltj
Has anyone pointed out that Fossil fuels is the greatest lie?

My first professor in College explained to us how he was a Geologist, he was paid a six figure salary in the 60s and 70s to find oil since it was running dry.

oil is a byproduct of the molten lava fields reducing the natural elements of the earths core.

Can you provide a credible resource explaining your molten lava fields reducing natural elements statement? I've never heard that specific explanation, but on it’s face it makes more sense to me than the generic "dinosaur juice" bs has been preached/taught for years.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Can you provide a credible resource explaining your molten lava fields reducing natural elements statement? I've never heard that specific explanation, but on it’s face it makes more sense to me than the generic "dinosaur juice" bs has been preached/taught for years.

I'd be surprised if there was an explanation that didn't also ask me to dismiss the entire field of chemistry.

I'm as much a skeptic of the official message as the next guy but when something is universally accepted except for like one random college prof that was flush with money while LSD was peaking in popularity, my skepticism wants to point his way.

Something I learned fairly recently is the specifics of the origin of coal. Back when plants first evolved to develop lignin as the main structural component in their cells (making them more of what we call "wood"), the microorganisms of the time could not break down lignin. It took 60 million years for them to evolve that ability, so the coal we have is what remains of the trees that died in that 60 million years with the lignin left behind after the initial decomposition. in geologic time scales 60MY is not really that long.

I don't want this to turn into a religion thread but consider that it took all the organisms on earth 60MY to learn to break down a carbon polymer vs what it supposedly took for early apes to accumulate all the upgrades necessary to become human.

I can't resist. These are my opinions and I apologize in advance for offending anyone.

1. When we talk about solar and wind, nobody want to talk about the aftereffects and dealing with the waste. However, mention nuclear power and the arguments against it are about waste disposal.

2. I remember reading in history class about some people who cut down all their trees and plowed up their fields. They created the dust bowl and all kinds of problems.

3. I'm just a retired communications engineer and project manager, but I like nature's solar panel — the tree. It converts water and solar energy into a material I can use to build a house or burn to keep the house warm. All I have to do is stick a seedling in the ground and, in twenty years or so, I can reuse it. No waste issues, no bad environmental impact as long as I operate in a sane manner (i.e. no clear cutting).

4. Think back 300 years. 1723 is the year. No electricity, no cars, no trains, no antibiotics, no ozone depletion, and no indoor plumbing. We look back now and ask how did they do it? 300 years from now, the year is 2323. Everyone has a fusion powered generator in their garage. They read history and can't imagine how we did it.

Even CA realizes they are moving to fast to keep the grid stable.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/news/2023...n-power-plant-needed-support-grid-reliability

California thinks their market is big, but in the article they mention and all time record power use of 59,000 MWs. For comparison MISO is at 69,000 MWs, ERCOT at 42,000 MWs, SPP at 28,000 MWs, and PJM at 98,000 MWs today in early March. CAISO is at 19,000 MWs.

So when CA says they want to lead the market, it's actually funny. They are one of the smallest markets in the country. Right now ERCOT has 16,400 MWs of wind and solar generation. Almost as much as California's total demand. SPP, ERCOT, and MISO each have more wind capacity than California would need if the wind blew constantly. But it doesn't. ERCOT is at 4,500 MWs of wind generation with an installed capacity of or 30,000 MWs of wind. SPP is at 8,900 MWs with an installed capacity of over 20,000 MWs.

Last edited:
Even CA realizes they are moving to fast to keep the grid stable.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/news/2023...n-power-plant-needed-support-grid-reliability

California thinks their market is big, but in the article they mention and all time record power use of 59,000 MWs. For comparison MISO is at 69,000 MWs, ERCOT at 42,000 MWs, SPP at 28,000 MWs, and PJM at 98,000 MWs today in early March. CAISO is at 19,000 MWs.

So when CA says they want to lead the market, it's actually funny. They are one of the smallest markets in the country. Right now ERCOT has 16,400 MWs of wind and solar generation. Almost as much as California's total demand. SPP, ERCOT, and MISO each have more wind capacity than California would need if the wind blew constantly. But it doesn't. ERCOT is at 4,500 MWs of wind generation with an installed capacity of or 30,000 MWs of wind. SPP is at 8,900 MWs with an installed capacity of over 20,000 MWs.

I had to look those up.

Sorry. ISO are independent system operators. They are the market places. They don't necessarily line up with the grids in the US. Except for ERCOT. Which is most of Texas.

So this popped up, an explanation as to why "dino juice" became a thing. This guy tends to be fairly well researched and factual.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low