Why Giving Advice on This Forum Is So Useful

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Not really sure if this is off-topic or not, but I've found chiming in as much as I can to the TJ Discussion forum has really helped me learn a ton about my own TJ. The off-topic sections are fun, but this place was built around our Jeeps. If folks want to hang in these other forums they certainly can, but I've always been perplexed as to why some choose to join a forum dedicated to a certain vehicle & spend almost all of their time making off-topic folks (particularly the political ones).

I fixed cars for quite awhile so I have a good base to dispense general automotive knowledge, but there's a lot I don't know about 4-wheeling & TJs in particular. I don't even know what I don't know. But, the more I hang out in the general TJ forum the more I learn about my own super-sweet Sahara, so consider this a PSA to get in there & try your best to help out other members with whatever it is you know.

Not really sure if this is off-topic or not, but I've found chiming in as much as I can to the TJ Discussion forum has really helped me learn a ton about my own TJ. The off-topic sections are fun, but this place was built around our Jeeps. If folks want to hang in these other forums they certainly can, but I've always been perplexed as to why some choose to join a forum dedicated to a certain vehicle & spend almost all of their time making off-topic folks (particularly the political ones).

I fixed cars for quite awhile so I have a good base to dispense general automotive knowledge, but there's a lot I don't know about 4-wheeling & TJs in particular. I don't even know what I don't know. But, the more I hang out in the general TJ forum the more I learn about my own super-sweet Sahara, so consider this a PSA to get in there & try your best to help out other members with whatever it is you know.
I like to be accurate. Trying to explain how stuff works so that most can get it really sharpens up your accuracy. That and the rule of the internet states if you want to find out the answer to something, you don't need to ask a question, just make a statement, any statement and without fail, someone will be along shortly to correct you.

The good and bad about your non TJ automotive knowledge is that a bunch of it applies and works very well, other bits simply don't and it really shouldn't be that way. In particular, the more I learn about the TJ brake system, the more it baffles me. No vehicle with 100% the same parts across all the years should have such a variable response in braking. I just don't get it.

Now you just need to delve into one of the suspension / geometry discussions and you'll either learn a whole lot, or come out of it generally confused (as is the case for me) :LOL:

There are a lot of helpful folks here, I'll say that much. In some way or another, we all put up with each others b.s. too ;)

I like to be accurate. Trying to explain how stuff works so that most can get it really sharpens up your accuracy. That and the rule of the internet states if you want to find out the answer to something, you don't need to ask a question, just make a statement, any statement and without fail, someone will be along shortly to correct you.

The good and bad about your non TJ automotive knowledge is that a bunch of it applies and works very well, other bits simply don't and it really shouldn't be that way. In particular, the more I learn about the TJ brake system, the more it baffles me. No vehicle with 100% the same parts across all the years should have such a variable response in braking. I just don't get it.

I've always wanted to ask you, why the TJ platform? You could have picked the CJ, the YJ, the JK, or even the JL. You seem to mostly do TJ stuff though, which has me curious.

I probably already do too much posting trying to guide people with their TJ when I think my experience with random mechanical issues, TJ or not, may help.

If I find a thread with a question that has gone unanswered for 8 or more hours, I reply to those, sometimes with a random answer, sometimes with no real answer just to get it back to the top for someone.

I've always wanted to ask you, why the TJ platform? You could have picked the CJ, the YJ, the JK, or even the JL. You seem to mostly do TJ stuff though, which has me curious.
Kat had a Rodeo. She took a 4WD class, I went along. We watched Jeeps walk up stuff that you could barely drag the Rodeo up. Came home, thought about it some and bought a nearly new 99 TJ and started wheeling. We wheeled every weekend for about 4 years non stop. Along the way, I learned some things about the TJ and never stopped learning.

I probably already do too much posting trying to guide people with their TJ when I think my experience with random mechanical issues, TJ or not, may help.

If I find a thread with a question that has gone unanswered for 8 or more hours, I reply to those, sometimes with a random answer, sometimes with no real answer just to get it back to the top for someone.
I do the same. My strong point is electrical, I work with wiring diagrams/schematics for complicated military aircraft/weapons systems for living, so the 8w section of our manuals & technical documents in general are pretty easy for me and that’s what I always look for.

If I see a post that’s been lingering for a bit with a subject I’m not familiar with I’ll just throw something out there to bump it back up top. I figure that way I’ll get a notification later so when someone with the answer replies we can all learn something.

I do the same. My strong point is electrical, I work with wiring diagrams/schematics for complicated military aircraft/weapons systems for living, so the 8w section of our manuals & technical documents in general are pretty easy for me and that’s what I always look for.

If I see a post that’s been lingering for a bit with a subject I’m not familiar with I’ll just throw something out there to bump it back up top. I figure that way I’ll get a notification later so when someone with the answer replies we can all learn something.
I read a lot more posts than I respond to. If the answers in general are good, I move on.

It’s like that with a lot of stuff isn’t it? At the end of the day they’re just vehicles that operate off the same general principles, then there are guys like you & @Jerry Bransford who have taken it upon themselves to really get into the weeds & establish themselves as subject matter experts on very specific aspects.

Reminds me of the guy that finally squared away the mechanical fuel injector pump on my BMW 2002 Tii years ago. I dicked with it forever trying to get it right, finally got ahold of him on the phone & realized his depth of knowledge was so far beyond what I understood that I decided it was time for me to write him a check & let him do his job.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I agree, this forum is a great place for jeep owners to share their knowledge and help other jeep owners. I'm here to learn, share, help and hone my jeep skills on the trail and in the garage.
You'd be hard pressed to get help searching the internet for answers to your problem, unlike this forum where people are eager to help someone in need. Help is always just a request away to help out a fellow jeeper on this forum.
I don't need help on who to vote for!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford