Why I'm self employed

Thanks Andy,

When I deal with contractors at work , the items I evaluate are : 1. Do they give truthful answers to questionable questions?
2. What is their track record on issues when a project goes in the ditch ?
3. Is their job quote realistic enough for them to make a profit and remain in business ? (So we can work together on future projects).
Most projects have at least one error or oversight that needs to be resolved , I believe in a " let's cut the crap and resolve the problem "
model of projects. Some good old give and take.
If you were in my part of the world, I would love to work together on a project ! Stay the course my brother ! Blessing to you and your family.

That is awesome- People need to look beyond price- And I’m not making a case for overcharging- But people need to realize somethings going to happen when this job goes down and how is this going to work out.

I’m actually pressing charges today against a subcontractor for theft by deception that made off with a $2000 deposit on some countertops-

I typically don’t use him but he had something we needed last year so we made a deal and he was going to come back and finish the project with some of the material we purchased- He has lied repeatedly and failed to keep his word- If you want to lose my respect just do that one time.

If he comes through we will drop the charges in a heartbeat and pay him the balance on the project with a smile.

But in the meantime I’m going to look out for my clients best interest and I’ll figure out how to take care of my investment later.

💯

On the subject of crawlspace humidity, it's become common in Colorado to omit any vents to the exterior, insulate the crawlspace and serve it with supply and return duct from the house central HVAC, making it essentially an unfinished basement with a low ceiling and a plastic-over-dirt floor. I would think that would be a pricey but effective buy-once cry-once way to handle it, but I don't know where else that's being done.

That seems like a cheap fix in the short term paid for by higher energy bills year round. Why would you want to condition an un-insulated dirt floor? Just to save a couple bucks on a dehumidifier?

Reactions: Zorba
That seems like a cheap fix in the short term paid for by higher energy bills year round. Why would you want to condition an un-insulated dirt floor? Just to save a couple bucks on a dehumidifier?

I never owned a crawlspace house up there so I can't say for certain that they didn't insulate the floor, but I'm not sure how much it would really add to the energy bills, at least in Colorado where the ground temperature is consistently closer to a desirable indoor temperature than the outside is. The frost depth is low enough that a crawlspace floor ends up about 4' below grade. It gives you a conditioned space for your ductwork and pipes to run through without a risk for freezing.

But it's also possible that they just treat it like a basement because they know how to do basements and it's less risky to stick with what they know.

I didn't read anything other than the title, so my guess is no one was desperate enough to hire you?

Did I win?

I kidd I kidd