Why is a rear locker more commonly used than a front locker?

BuildBreakRepeat

Occasional Genius
Supporting Member
Quick question for those who see the behavior of front and rear lockers often. Why is a rear locker “more commonly” used over the front locker (many say “oh I never turn it on) given that the rear locker pushes you in sometimes unwanted ways and the front locker doesn’t actually affect steering? Any insight is appreciated. I both front and rear and I’m wondering why not run the front more often than the rear?

In both my Jeeps (JKU and LJ), the front locker severely affects steering.. Because of this I rarely use the front locker, and only if I think i really need it.

I try to only use the rear when I think I need it (crawling over rocks, in severe ruts where one wheel will be in the air, very loose gravel, etc) .. I cant recall a time that the rear locker ever pushed me in any way i didnt want or wasnt expecting - but I never turn it on in situations that it might, like while on a severe slant.

But if the front locker does not affect the steering on your Jeep (either you have Hydro Assist or, the front locker just doesnt actually work??) and you're comfortable using it, then use it!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubicube
You lose steering with the front locker. All locked up on ice in a parking lot trying to park between 2 BMWs..
it'll be a good day in hell as you wipe them both out.

Front lockers are fabulous in a straight line. Rear lockers have a similar effect but more subdued. Even 4WD affects turning. In the winter I'll shift on the fly to 2WD if I need to turn sharp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
A locked rear axle absolutely positively causes understeer and will push you through turns. John Currie even made a video to illustrate it. That's one reason I'd rather have a selectable locker in the rear.

Here's a post from earlier tonight on this subject from mrblaine https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ng-transmission-temp-gauge.31150/#post-502532
That is exactly what made me curious. So @mrblaine are you saying the front locker doesn’t change the turning whereas the rear does? I’ve been pushed around by my rear locker but have never tried to run just the front and observe.

If we are going to beat the shit outta this horse again;
1. You and I have a TJR. Mine is stock. I get that turning on the front locker “feels like” it makes it harder to turn. I don’t believe that to be true yet I feel it in my steering wheel locked front and rear.
2. Better to be locked up than open
3. I’m thinking to reroute the wiring once my OE pumps fail so I can lock up the F/R independently
I’ve learned to just to turn what my wheels will let me turn.

If we are going to beat the shit outta this horse again;
1. You and I have a TJR. Mine is stock. I get that turning on the front locker “feels like” it makes it harder to turn. I don’t believe that to be true yet I feel it in my steering wheel locked front and rear.
2. Better to be locked up than open
3. I’m thinking to reroute the wiring once my OE pumps fail so I can lock up the F/R independently
I’ve learned to just to turn what my wheels will let me turn.
It’s only not beating a dead horse to me because mine are wired independently like you’re saying, so I’m just curious.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Mine, locks right up front and rear. I can toggle the front off and keep the rear locked up..... until for some reason if I hit or slid sideways my Jeep will chime and my lockers blink on the dash. They won’t lock back up unless I turn it off and restart the engine

Those of you who believe that a locked front only will not allow steering action to occur need to explain what is stopping the turned wheels from pulling the vehicle in the same direction that they are turned.

Hitting a tight trail with lots of turns, I unlock the rear, I lock the front and can make tight trails a lot easier. A rear locker is what makes your steering the worst, not the front locker.

Last spring, I went to Moab with only a front locker. The rear was not functional. The front was locked almost entire time I was on the slickrock. All I really noticed was that the steering wheel was a bit stiffer. There was very little difference in the actual turning ability. That was the trip that led me to independent switches.

Reactions: Mrprez
You lose steering with the front locker. All locked up on ice in a parking lot trying to park between 2 BMWs..
it'll be a good day in hell as you wipe them both out.

Front lockers are fabulous in a straight line. Rear lockers have a similar effect but more subdued. Even 4WD affects turning. In the winter I'll shift on the fly to 2WD if I need to turn sharp.
No

Those of you who believe that a locked front only will not allow steering action to occur need to explain what is stopping the turned wheels from pulling the vehicle in the same direction that they are turned.
Severe lack of understanding of the simple mechanics of trying to turn an axle with two tires on it that don't spin independently of each other.

Reactions: reddvltj
Last spring, I went to Moab with only a front locker. The rear was not functional. The front was locked almost entire time I was on the slickrock. All I really noticed was that the steering wheel was a bit stiffer. There was very little difference in the actual turning ability. That was the trip that led me to independent switches.
This also gets easier to understand with assisted steering. With assisted steering, the steering effort is the same locked or unlocked in the front. When that gets better, it is easier to understand which end is causing the problem.

Reactions: jjvw
Mine, locks right up front and rear. I can toggle the front off and keep the rear locked up..... until for some reason if I hit or slid sideways my Jeep will chime and my lockers blink on the dash. They won’t lock back up unless I turn it off and restart the engine
Something is very wrong. Find it and fix it.

In both my Jeeps (JKU and LJ), the front locker severely affects steering.. Because of this I rarely use the front locker, and only if I think i really need it.

I try to only use the rear when I think I need it (crawling over rocks, in severe ruts where one wheel will be in the air, very loose gravel, etc) .. I cant recall a time that the rear locker ever pushed me in any way i didnt want or wasnt expecting - but I never turn it on in situations that it might, like while on a severe slant.

But if the front locker does not affect the steering on your Jeep (either you have Hydro Assist or, the front locker just doesnt actually work??) and you're comfortable using it, then use it!
Your post actually helps the most with this problem and that is the failure to understand the difference between perceived steering effort and the actual input to the vehicle to traverse trails. Just because it feels harder to steer doesn't mean it is steering the vehicle less.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
How does the TJR rear locker play into only locking the front? My understanding is that the rear locker is prone to breaking when unlocked on the trail.