Why is forward bushing on top front control arms sold separately?

Blondie70

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am planning on putting front control arms on my jeep. Did the rears today. Pretty hard crawling around on cement with dogs licking me in the face occasionally...ha !
Anyways. when shopping for the front arms, I see that the forward bushing on the top arms is sold separately.....why is that?
Thanks, Pete

They are pressed in on the axle. It is not the easiest job as they are stubborn to get out.
Yep a PITA. At one point you'll wish you did not start it, then wonder if it might be easier to drop the axle. Then right before you know you'er screwed it will start to move and pop out.

If I were to do it again I would drill out the rubber as much as possible then collapse the housing with a hammer and various HF chisels.

For the passenger side (which I have not done yet) someone here suggested to cut the middle out with a sawzal. Seems like a good approach but idk.

OH! You can get the press as a loan from Autozone or the like. Its the same as the ball joint press

Reactions: 89grand
I see how they are now. Thank ya'll for the info. May leave 'em alone as they look pretty good to me....I got the rear ones replaced, tho. One was metal to metal !

Been doing new arms and bushings on my frame up project and the pressed in bushings are ridiculously easy to remove with a pneumatic hammer and a blunt point. The come out in about 30 seconds by crushing one side in on itself then pushing them out.

Good luck with the front lowers, they can be a bitch to remove. Order some new cam bolts if you have not done so already as there is a good chance you will be cutting them out.

Reactions: Blondie70
Air hammer/riveter makes it super quick. My 3x rivet gun has plenty of power to push a bushing in or out. Chances are your average air hammer will as well.

Has anyone just changed the bushings in the control arms?
The problem is the stock control arms are light gauge steel and they are not up to the beating it can take with some bushing removals . That and considering they are inexpensive why not just replace them. Although the one's I just swapped out were structurally sound I doubt there was more than a few years left in them.

Last edited:
Has anyone just changed the bushings in the control arms?
Not many I don't think but I am sure some have. For me considering the arms (Moog) at 20 to 25.00 are generally twice the cost of the bushings alone it just was not worth the effort to save 10 to 12 bucks.

pneumatic hammer worked well for me too. if your doing the control arms and not the axle side bushings, your only doing half the job.

do them all, its really not that much of a hassle. youll probably come up with a few choice words or make a few new ones of your own but its well worth it in the long run.

Not many I don't think but I am sure some have. For me considering the arms (Moog) at 20 to 25.00 are generally twice the cost of the bushings alone it just was not worth the effort to save 10 to 12 bucks.
I did a pair of arms. Once I figured out that most removal methods also alter the press fit detrimentally and the cost of a set of Moog arms, never again. They aren't worth doing even on a budget.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
I did a pair of arms. Once I figured out that most removal methods also alter the press fit detrimentally and the cost of a set of Moog arms, never again. They aren't worth doing even on a budget.
I asked an alignment shop about it and he said he would probably distort the arm trying to do it