Why is there aluminum powder in my gas tank?

JPNFOOL

My 1998 Sahara TJ wouldn't start. It fired briefly for a couple of seconds when carb spray was sprayed into the intake. The fuel rail was dry. I tested power at the tank plug to the fuel pump. I have 12.27 volts to the pump (prime cycle), but no pump noise. I pulled the tank and removed the pump module. The filter screen was completely caked with what appears to be aluminum powder. There is approximately two tablespoons of metallic powder at the bottom of the tank. Did a worn pump cause this? I hate to think it was sabotage.

Beastie Boys 90S GIF by Squirrel Monkey

The pump did not run at all so I ordered a replacement. I took the tank to the radiator shop for cleaning. My next worry is did it clog the injectors...I'm pretty sure someone added Alumaseal Stop Leak to the fuel. At this point it's the only logical conclusion.

As a matter of fact I do...She once added ATF to her windshield washer reservoir. I doubt she could pull off such a clever stunt...maybe she had a tutor? There isn't a single thread online where this had happened to someone. Forget corn syrup or coke in the fuel..Alumaseal is the way to go. Had to be a gear head's idea.

As a matter of fact I do...She once added ATF to her windshield washer reservoir. I doubt she could pull off such a clever stunt...maybe she had a tutor? There isn't a single thread online where this had happened to someone. Forget corn syrup or coke in the fuel..Alumaseal is the way to go. Had to be a gear head's idea.

If it's coke, you may be able to recoup the cost of repair. Or fix it quickly. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: rows
you might look into figuring out how to go about flushing lines and fuel rail just for the added piece of mind.

Reactions: Rickyd