Why is this TJ so cheap?

Could be a lot of reasons. The dealer may have grabbed it cheap at auction last month when they aquired it. Who knows why it went to auction. Car sales are slowing and a quick sale would be a good thing. It could also be hiding some problems. There aren't many frame picture but the one that does show looks like it has recently been painted. From it's location history I can't see it being rust free. The price seems a bit average for the model, equipment and mileage. If you are in the market it might be worth a look but I would get it thoroughly inspected.

Reactions: mattyice2
I have the exact same year, color, and optioned Jeep but with a hard top and more bolt ons.

If it’s not rusty or been hit, that’s the going price in the Houston area. Buy it

Reactions: mattyice2
VIN says New York Jeep, I would look really close.

If it lived in Texas always, this is a gold price.
Mine lived in Texas and I only paid $9500 the first time I bought it and $9,000 the second time. Bidenflation I guess. :cry:
Rubi 6 9 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Rubi TS2.jpg

Red McCombs (2).jpg

Reactions: mattyice2 and FJQue
Mine lived in Texas and I only paid $9500 the first time I bought it and $9,000 the second time. Bidenflation I guess. :cry:
View attachment 345702

View attachment 345703

View attachment 345704

Red McCombs, love the guy ha.

You got a steak, just saying. I watch them regularly, and getting a Rubicon under 13k that is clean and less than 125,000 is tough.

At least it was, I just bought a CJ5 toy, so I’m not Loki g that hard for any flips ha. I got a 2005 Rocky Mountuan Ed for 10k and sold for 16,500 with nothing but patience. It was super clean though

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Salvage title? cracked 0331 head. flood recovery? Keep in mind dealers flip auctioned off vehicles they have NO...did I say NO idea of its former life or the way it was treated. Its nothing buy a number representing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Far more important than whether or not the frame has been painted is its actual condition, as people paint frames for various reasons, not all nefarious. That one shot we have shows a very smooth, flat frame with no bulging around the factory frame hole, to me that is far more telling in a positive way than paint. Granted it’s one small section of the frame, just saying an in-person inspection is certainly warranted if you’re interested, as always that will tell the tale far better than any photos.

As for the price, seems normal in these clown times we’re living in, like the paint it’s not something that would dictate an automatic no, I’d still go look at it in person.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Keep in mind dealers flip auctioned off vehicles they have NO...did I say NO idea of its former life or the way it was treated. Its nothing buy a number representing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why I never buy used cars from car dealers. They have NO CLUE what's wrong with it and most wouldn't tell you if they did. At least buying from an individual, you can get a feel if they're full of shit or honest.

Rubi khaki.jpg

p.s. I looked at a nice Rubicon for $11,500 a couple weeks back. Everything looked really good, except it could've used some new tires in a few months. Frame showed zero signs of rust and wasn't undercoated or painted to hide anything. Owner was in his 60s and too large to have ever crawled under it (and gotten back on his feet) to clean anything. All was good and my wife wanted it because it was an auto. I stuck my fingers in the frame holes and was shocked! The rust chips were almost to the top of the large side frame holes, ALL the way down both sides. I told my wife that half of the frame thickness could be washed out at the car wash. I have no doubt that the owner didn't know and the guy who bought it several hours after the posting didn't know enough to look either. I feel sorry for people like that.

Last edited:
If it lived in Texas always - but... Most of the jeeps in Texas I looked at had been imported in from points in rust areas. The bigger jeep swapers had their spit and polish down - which included repainting the frame, filling in large holes, and rhino lining everything to avoid the rust showing.

Yeah, I have seen them down as low as $9,000 recently, for clean ones.. I was in the market for an automatic TJ but ended up with a JK, first one..
Anyways, the last couple weeks, I have looked around the country more than I care to admit and for some reason, Jeep prices have been kind of falling a bit, not like a year ago where this one would of went for 16,999, haha..