Why is your 8 year old daughter on TikTok?

The last site of this nature I had anything to do with was Tribe - and not very much even there. There was a male Belly Dancer's group there that was active for awhile. MySpace and facebook were OBVIOUSLY oriented towards teens, and the rest of it has just gone down hill from there. About the only ones that make any sense whatsoever are LinkedIn and maybe Pinterest, but I've never felt the need to join even those. I messed around a bit with geocities back in the day.

I stick to discussion forums, which are the WWW version of the old dialup BBS systems. I belong to several firearms forums (fora?), the only remaining Belly Dance forum (that's on life support), a couple of piano forums that I haven't visited in years because of their Liberal slant, a couple of really nice antique sewing machine forums, and some forum about little red vehicles that can go just about anywhere...

I've been on a few others that I just lost interest in, a brand specific motorhome forum when I was thinking about one of their motorhomes, etc. But nothing - and I mean NOTHING - beats a piano forum for flamewars!

I’ve pretty much done the same thing.

But you need to tell us more about belly dancing. I’m intrigued! Never heard of male belly dancers.

I’ve pretty much done the same thing.

But you need to tell us more about belly dancing. I’m intrigued! Never heard of male belly dancers.
Most people haven't, and there aren't very many of us. I don't want to derail this thread or bore everyone, so I'll refer you to my website: http://www.doubleveil.net - Feel free to email or PM me questions, comments, or just to poke fun! :D Beware though, I'll talk this subject "until the cows come home" as the saying goes.

EDIT: The F.A.Q. could stand some updating/rework. Its accurate enough, but I wrote it many years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair
The last site of this nature I had anything to do with was Tribe - and not very much even there. There was a male Belly Dancer's group there that was active for awhile. MySpace and facebook were OBVIOUSLY oriented towards teens, and the rest of it has just gone down hill from there. About the only ones that make any sense whatsoever are LinkedIn and maybe Pinterest, but I've never felt the need to join even those. I messed around a bit with geocities back in the day.

I stick to discussion forums, which are the WWW version of the old dialup BBS systems. I belong to several firearms forums (fora?), the only remaining Belly Dance forum (that's on life support), a couple of piano forums that I haven't visited in years because of their Liberal slant, a couple of really nice antique sewing machine forums, and some forum about little red vehicles that can go just about anywhere...

I've been on a few others that I just lost interest in, a brand specific motorhome forum when I was thinking about one of their motorhomes, etc. But nothing - and I mean NOTHING - beats a piano forum for flamewars!

I grew up in the 90s, so Netscape Navigator and forums was all we had (and very basic forums at that). That being said, I try to sympathize with some of the kids these days, after all, forums are "social media" of sorts if you want to be technical.

However, I just can't bring myself to sympathize. Kids these days want attention, they want likes, they want comments, they want to share every, single, undying moment of their lives on social media, and it sickens me. I mean if you're an adult and you want to do that, more power to you. But when this shit is creeping into the lives of kids in second grade, you can damn well bet I am going to raise hell.

These are damn kids. Kids are supposed to use their imagination, play, and have not a single worry in the world, just their innocence. But to see these kids being sucked into this moral succubus that is social media, I'm just utterly appalled and disgusted. And what's even worse is where the fuck are the parents? Oh, that's right, probably on social media themselves!

Good on you Rubi. What kind of '78 Ford?

My buddy has a neighbor that has it. It’s a 1978 F250 4x4. Just a standard cab. But supposed to be pretty clean for a semi resto.

I had a ‘76 Chevy 3/4 4x4 in high school so I want my kids to have a cool old truck to drive too! I love old iron and want my new F150 to go away and I’ll be DD’ing the Jeep. I want to find a MB 250 or 300D to have for a daily.

Most people haven't, and there aren't very many of us. I don't want to derail this thread or bore everyone, so I'll refer you to my website: http://www.doubleveil.net - Feel free to email or PM me questions, comments, or just to poke fun! :D Beware though, I'll talk this subject "until the cows come home" as the saying goes.

EDIT: The F.A.Q. could stand some updating/rework. Its accurate enough, but I wrote it many years ago.

Working through the FAQ now!!! Impressive man. 👍

Reactions: Zorba
Sounds like you could stand a visit from Chris Hansen to straighten these creeps out 😂

download.jpg

• Haha
My buddy has a neighbor that has it. It’s a 1978 F250 4x4. Just a standard cab. But supposed to be pretty clean for a semi resto.

I had a ‘76 Chevy 3/4 4x4 in high school so I want my kids to have a cool old truck to drive too! I love old iron and want my new F150 to go away and I’ll be DD’ing the Jeep. I want to find a MB 250 or 300D to have for a daily.
"Just a standard cab" makes it FAR more desirable in my eyes - I don't like the "school busses" they make now. I remember the '78 Fords well, as my father and I looked at '78 "everything" before he bought his '78 Chevy 1 ton. Ford had a hood with a "certain look" that year. I owned an '87 F-250 Diesel that I'd still have except my need for a truck went away. Like my Jeep, it was perfect - no power crap, manual transmission, etc.

• Love
I grew up in the 90s, so Netscape Navigator and forums was all we had (and very basic forums at that). That being said, I try to sympathize with some of the kids these days, after all, forums are "social media" of sorts if you want to be technical.

However, I just can't bring myself to sympathize. Kids these days want attention, they want likes, they want comments, they want to share every, single, undying moment of their lives on social media, and it sickens me. I mean if you're an adult and you want to do that, more power to you. But when this shit is creeping into the lives of kids in second grade, you can damn well bet I am going to raise hell.

These are damn kids. Kids are supposed to use their imagination, play, and have not a single worry in the world, just their innocence. But to see these kids being sucked into this moral succubus that is social media, I'm just utterly appalled and disgusted. And what's even worse is where the fuck are the parents? Oh, that's right, probably on social media themselves!

I spent a LOT of time on discussion forums in those days. My interest in working on cars was budding at the time and it was a tremendous resource to learn from. There was no drive to show off what I'd done or get "likes" partially because it didn't exist but also I was 18 and had nothing novel to contribute.

My oldest is only 5 so he only hangs out with kids of people we associate with, so far. It hasn't even occurred to him that having his own phone is a possibility. The only working computer we have is my work laptop and a couple of Kindle fires that only come out on road trips. I'm holding on to this as long as I can.

Some friends of ours got into foster parenting about a year ago. One of their foster kids is a 17 year old girl who just got engaged to a 19 year old boy she's known for a couple months and her 2 sisters who are under 20 still live with her dad and have 3 kids between them. Their mom sounds just like your neighbor, so that probably gives a fairly accurate picture of where the 8 year old is headed.

I personally wish there was no social media sites out there for kids to use. One of my sons had a friend commit suicide last year because she was being bullied on Social media.
Virtually ALL of them were created for kids/teenagers. Which is one reason they're so toxic because everyone is reduced to that level. But I hear you!

I’ll come at this from a different, but still agreeing point of view. I’ve been on tik-tok for 2 years now, as many of my friends and co-workers in the same age group are. The app is designed for interactions with strangers, simple as that. The videos posted are 30-60 seconds, and repeat over and over as long as you don’t scroll on. What you choose to “dwell” on (view, like, comment) is what your feed or “for you page” will consist of. Most of my first year on tik-tok all I saw was ranching and military videos because those are the ones I watched more and engaged with. Tik-tok chooses videos for you to see on your homepage based on an algorithm of what you have engaged with. Now, this means predators get videos of young girls dancing all day, where I see guys welding all day. Fortunately, there are ways to protect your kids if they let you change settings and respect your wishes.

You can:
1. Turn off duets on any video they post
2. Turn off comments which reduces engagement from creeps
3. Make the videos they post only visible to their friends that both follow them and that they follow, instead of the public - pedos included.

There are flaws in tik tok due to the wide age gap and public nature of random videos posted. However, I have also been in the many who have watched hours of videos of rioting and current events straight from the cellphones of bystanders simply because they could post them and be seen. As anything, there is evil in the world. How parents choose to approach and deal with it is inherently their duty and responsibility. I report the bad things I see, and tik tok does a solid job of taking them down and banning certain accounts.

In conclusion,
Guard your children, and teach then just how evil the world can be.

These kids need to be unplugged from their phones and electronic devices and reduce the garbage that goes into their brains. Kids need to learn without the influences of apps like tik-tok.
As a parent and my opinion, don't load your children up with these electronic babysitters. Engage and teach your child. They're sponges, so give them something worth soaking up.

These kids need to be unplugged from their phones and electronic devices and reduce the garbage that goes into their brains. Kids need to learn without the influences of apps like tik-tok.
As a parent and my opinion, don't load your children up with these electronic babysitters. Engage and teach your child. They're sponges, so give them something worth soaking up.

The issue is a lot of these kids don't know anything outside of the online world. I'm 30, and I still remember a time before the internet was widely used, and especially before cell phones and smart phones became popular. I work in technology so I'm immersed in it all day, but there is a reason why after work I drive home in my analog Jeep or my BMW that has no navigation or infotainment, then go outside when I'm home. It's because I need a break, and luckily I have that ability to disconnect. Many people don't even know what disconnecting means. Take away a kid's internet for a day and see how much they freak out.

Keep up the good work Chris. My daughter was taught about adult creeps, stalkers, identity thieves, etc online at a very early age. She understood to never post her real name, locaion (not even state), school, a picture of herself, etc. and to only interact with people she knew in real life. There were several times when she brought potentially problematic situations to our attention and we were able to get them stopped right away. The lessons seem to have stuck because at age of 18 her Instagram is only shared with people she knows in real life and personal information is never shared with others to the extent that is possible. If information like birthdays or locations are required for some reason she knows to fake the info.

Reactions: Chris and Tob