Why isn't Teraflex as big in the TJ community?

I think this is an interesting/valid observation. When I first bought my TJ three years ago, knowing nothing about any of this stuff, I took it straight to the top 4x4 shop in town. Their proposal included the Teraflex 3" TJ lift for $2,473, plus all the other usual stuff - Yukon regear, Detroit TT, TF Shorty SYE, Tom Woods DC, etc., to run 33s. Total ticket $7,664. Still have the proposal and refer to it from time to time. Haven't pulled the trigger on any of it three years later, except that I threw in some 2" pucks and new shocks. Still deciding on a lift . . . Lol.

But to your point, I think TF may be the shops' go-to suggestion for newbies. If there's good margin and they know they're dealing with the uneducated, it just keeps it simple for them. Especially in the big-budget bought-not-built JK/JL arena. Seems us TJ owners spend a little more time investing our own blood, sweat and tears into our rigs and end up here on this forum debating the merits of our preferred brand manufacturers, mods and build plans.
I’m very happy with my Teraflex extreme short SYE that I bought from Tom Wood as a SYE and driveshaft combo. Their rear disc brakes came with my Rockjock 60 also.

I have the 3" kit with shocks, im very happy with the springs but the shocks leave a little to be desired, will probably replace those soon with some ranchos. I got their budget kit (no CAs) because, well, budget. I am slowly completing this build with various other manufacturers but have had no issues with the quality of their product. IMO, a good quality entry brand.

I’m very happy with my Teraflex extreme short SYE that I bought from Tom Wood as a SYE and driveshaft combo. Their rear disc brakes came with my Rockjock 60 also.
Given that Tom Woods is the standard bearer of the post-lift SYE install aftermarket driveshaft, and also well known for their good service, I would think that speaks very highly of his confidence in TF SYE products that he sells them in combo with his driveshafts. Also, I didn't intend to disparage Teraflex products. I've come to know the guy that owns that 4x4 shop. He's well known and very active in the local Jeep clubs/community and his builds are first rate. If I could write him a blank check and hand him the keys to my TJ I would. Thus, I'd trust his judgment recommending TF.

Reactions: Apparition
You don't want that, trust me. Those things are ticking time bombs, almost in the literal sense.

Talk to Advanced Adapters about that (or anyone else). A RubiCrawler is far better, assuming you have a 42RLE.

I spoke with one of the AA engineers and he told me that that Tera Low unit was one of the most poorly designed things he's ever seen, and that he knew as soon as he first saw one that they were going to be breaking like crazy. I guess that ended up happening too, since the casualty count is high ;)
A few problems. The Tera Low has been discontinued for at least 2 years with no parts support. I don't know of any that didn't fail if used but that generally bordered on abuse. Advanced Adapters can pretty much piss up a rope. If it was so poorly designed (it was) then build a better one and quick making folks spend way too much on a way too large t-case just to get something that doesn't suck. There was a big gap between the Rubi Crawler coming out and the Tera low being in production.

Reactions: Chris
I was one of the early installers of Teraflex and as you can see from my below windshield sticker, I thought they were pretty cool at the time.
jer1a.jpg

But after going through some of their parts that failed or gave problems a little too quickly, I and many others gave up on them. My assumption was that they didn't test their products thoroughly enough.

In the 97-00 era they were one of the only manufacturers to focus on TJs which made them hot at the time. But others came along and people like me ended up abandoning them with a sour taste in our mouthes.

One of their worst product designs was their first-generation control arm that had a rubber bushing in both ends. The arm had little flex/articulation and as such tore its share of control arm mounting brackets off frames and axles. My TJ included. The fact that its two halves could rotate opposite each other fooled many, me included, that it would allow its opposite ends to move about freely. Nope, the axle/suspension doesn't move in an axis that would allow use of that potential twist.

TeraArms.jpg

I haven't seen anything from Teraflex in many years that made me think it was cool or providing serious competition for any of the other suspension manufacturers.

Seems us TJ owners spend a little more time investing our own blood, sweat and tears into our rigs and end up here on this forum debating the merits of our preferred brand manufacturers, mods and build plans.

Yes, I'm always amazed at how many newbies go straight to Facebook (local club) for their research. Even for actual technical issues. Taking advise from the first guy that responds with; 'This is what the shop installed on mine, so it must be the best.'