Why no chatter about strokers?

Plenty of used lithium batteries in junkyards from hybrids ready to repurpose.

Netgain motors are not expensive.

Need a controller, charger and probably can repurpose the radiator for battery cooling. Wire the batteries to the controller, wire up the motors. It's all pretty simple. Some fab work for a new cross member to hold the motors and brackets for the batteries.

I priced it out less than $10k...puts it within the cost range of a lot of swaps.

-Mac

But you'll look funny with your red rotopax's

• Haha
Reactions: RINC

Need a controller, charger and probably can repurpose the radiator for battery cooling. Wire the batteries to the controller, wire up the motors. It's all pretty simple. Some fab work for a new cross member to hold the motors and brackets for the batteries.

I priced it out less than $10k...puts it within the cost range of a lot of swaps.

-Mac

I've been intrigued with the idea myself. Or a diesel electric.

Reactions: macleanflood

-Mac

The tech is quickly evolving and to do this right it will be more than 10k imo. You can ofcourse make something DIY in that range and probably it will work but how good will it be depends on a lot of things.

You can see this video from ICON 4x4 who discussed this topic recently. I understand that not everyone will do this level of a build, but it is important to know what the pitfalls and shortcomings are.

I really wish the government would stop pushing 100% ev so hard and let the technology develop based on strengths and weaknesses. I believe hybrid is the way to go for the mid term future, due to grid and infrastructure (lack of charging stations) limitations.

that would be nice. No range or recharge problems but still capture the advantages of electric motors per axle.

I really wish the government would stop pushing 100% ev so hard and let the technology develop based on strengths and weaknesses. I believe hybrid is the way to go for the mid term future, due to grid and infrastructure (lack of charging stations) limitations.

I'll sound like Zorba here but a diesel hybrid is the hybrid that is needed.

I really wish the government would stop pushing 100% ev so hard
How Americans vs how Europeans look at diesel has always amazed me. I mean here diesels are always the big redneck trucks that are destroying the environment, but over there they are everywhere just because how much more fuel efficient they are. I think just recently EVs got more popular.

How Americans vs how Europeans look at diesel has always amazed me. I mean here diesels are always the big redneck trucks that are destroying the environment, but over there they are everywhere just because how much more fuel efficient they are. I think just recently EVs got more popular.

Throw nuclear power into that too.

-Mac

How far would the battiers get you? How would you charge if you out for a week or so?

Yea im staying in ca for now and it can be smog legal

make sure you have all the i's crossed and the t's dotted.. helped a buddy out a few years back and it was a mess of a process, hopefully it's not worse now with the new rules

Throw nuclear power into that too.

I'm using context clues to infer that you're talking about Europe's attitude toward nuclear power, and not nuclear powered cars. I want nothing to do with a nuclear powered vehicle built by the companies that gave us burping gas tanks and fix death wobble with a steering stabilizer.

I'm using context clues to infer that you're talking about Europe's attitude toward nuclear power, and not nuclear powered cars. I want nothing to do with a nuclear powered vehicle built by the companies that gave us burping gas tanks and fix death wobble with a steering stabilizer.

Yes, we'll need something to power all the EV's.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
We all still forget that something has to power those power plants. It's not going to be wind or solar. Too much demand for that to keep up.

Government keeps saying that they want to go all electric by 20?? but no one is talking about new Power Plants of any kind. A new Power Plant would take 10-15 years to go from conception to fruition.

My, how this thread changed subjects.

EV TJs. The mileage sucks whether it's gas or EV. 😀
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/electric-tj.60176/

How about a 1 to 1.5 liter turbo diesel hybrid with direct drive variable speed electric motors in the pumpkin area of solid axles.

That's my stoker. Stupid EV acceleration, enough HP to maintain 75 mph with a Nebraska wind coming at it, and better than TDI fuel economy on long trips.

Last edited:
1677698547000.png

The V-8s get better mileage because of ECO mode operation with new computers and more modern machining/materials/designs.

Couldn't a stroker benefit from the same? Change the tune and turn off unneeded cylinders.

They do it in V-6s too so it's not a number of cylinders issue. A regular 4.0 could benefit from the same.