Why upgrade control arms?

dstoner05

I am new to the jeep world and recently picked up a 2000 TJ. After a thorough look, it looks like my control arms in the rear are shot and all bushings need to be replaced. My jeep has a 4 inch lift on 35 inch tires. My question is, should I look at aftermarket adjustable control arms? What is the benefit of these over stock? My jeep is used for more road driving than off-road, but it definitely is doing some wheeling.

As you indicated in your post about the worn bushings. Aftermarket pushing are designed for the extra travel of a lift kit and flex better than stock. Im no expert and there will be better answers but that is one reason to go aftermarket.

I am new to the jeep world and recently picked up a 2000 TJ. After a thorough look, it looks like my control arms in the rear are shot and all bushings need to be replaced. My jeep has a 4 inch lift on 35 inch tires. My question is, should I look at aftermarket adjustable control arms? What is the benefit of these over stock? My jeep is used for more road driving than off-road, but it definitely is doing some wheeling.
Welcome!

If you begin lifting things to gain more clearance and use larger tires, the angle of the drivelines can become extreme enough to cause vibrations and long term damage. The adjustable arms allow you to dial those angles back. Read through this for a great overview:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

Hi, and Welcome to the forum.
We have a section called TJ Resources, please, check it out.
https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/tj-resources.121/
We a 4" lift I will look at aftermarket adjustable CA.
The main benefit been return the drive rain angles to where they should be without the need of skid plate drops and such, plus some of the joints used on this aftermarket CA could last twice as the OEM clevite bushing. Also, they are cool!
While not a priority, double adjustable CA make your adjustments life easier.

Reactions: RMETeeJay